Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 06:00   #1

Boat: Beach marine (modified Crowther) 36'
Beg, borrow, buy CHARTs

We are planning a voyage from PERTH (Western Australia) to MELBOURNE OR SYDNEY (Australia)
Anyone out there having done this voyage and no need of charts now please contact us if you wish to Give,Loan, Sell or hire out the appropriate charts.
Regards
dbl07 👫
Dbl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:18   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Beg, borrow, buy CHARTs

I can't help with the charts but it might help if you tell us if you are planning north about or south about
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 15:23   #3

Thank you for your observation Wotname,
I believed by stating Perth Melbourne Sydney that it was via the Great Australian Bight- being the shortest way, but you are right I perhaps should have spelled it out in more detail.
My thoughts are Mandurah (WA) to Albany, Esperance, Daw Island to St Francis Island, (ouch) then perhaps Adelaide (SA) Melbourne (Vic) Eden, Jervis Bay (NSW) Sydney, Broken Bay, Pt Stephens, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast (Qld) and Brisbane (our final destination).
Folks any comments or tips re this leg particularly the sort of weather winds etc expected in an April/ May voyage would be appreciated from those who've actually done it.

Cheers
Old 14-02-2013, 15:40   #4

of all the places you have mentioned eden has to be my fave spent alot of time in and out of there enjoy your trip
Old 14-02-2013, 15:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beg, borrow, buy CHARTs

Hi... did the trip last Nov and went Perth-Albany-Portland-Port Fairy but then I hung a right across the Strait to E.Tassie...
From Albany it was not to bad... got a blow or two come through but ducked the worst popping into Port Fairy before a 50knoter came through... recommend Fairy for a stop
I had a passage chart... the rest was my notebook CP program... it was a short trip...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 02:25   #6

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
You want paper charts?
If you have a laptop, iPad, iPhone, android phone or garmin GPS I can help... But not with paper. Been years since I've bought paper. Papyrus, parchment, paper... All too old fashioned for me.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 03:21   #7

Dear Tommo, I agree with you re paper charts but there's this little insignificant issues called legality and its the law here that we must have paper charts for waters being traversed or risk a fine if caught. Plus there's another little issue- that guy called Murphy. It'd only take an electrical storm (and a nearby lightning strike) to take out the GPS, Charter Plotter and laptop simultaneously (or a big Australian Bight Wave slams into you and the laptop does a quick tango- to the floor. That leaves the iPhone- not too good at seeing what reefs or nasties are over the horizon.

But thanks for the reply.
Old 15-02-2013, 03:23   #8

PS. folks, On the subject of iPhones....
Does anyone know whether an iPhone 4Gs needs to be in range of a telco provider to act as a GPS or will it serve as a dedicate GPS with no phone coverage?
Old 15-02-2013, 03:34   #9

Each to their own.

I'd suggest that anything that can take out my laptop, tablet, iPad, transformer prime, nexus 4, lowrance plotter AND my garmin handheld, all of which are completely independent plotters, with redundant power sources, and half of which live in waterproof cases or are waterproof or both, will certainly ruin a paper chart. Ever tried navigating in a life raft? I have. Chart sucked, phone was great.

As for the legalities, as usual the law runs behind the times and should not be seen as indicative of best practice ... Just of required practice - not the same.
Old 15-02-2013, 04:25   #10

Thommo, you may have misread me: I too have the usuals- laptop, iPhone, tablet, Navman and Raymarine CPlotters, Rubiks cube- etc etc and the requested paper charts may never get pulled out from under the bunk!!

-but for my money, its sensible practice as well as good seamanship to have paper Charts as a backup- just in case. But that's just me........
If I get to the liferaft stage, I'll be using my GPS EPIRB's. and the rubiks cube.

You were fortunate to be within phone range when you had to take to a liferaft. Cheers
Old 15-02-2013, 04:36   #11

No worries

BTW I wasn't making a call... Just watching the drift on the chart (no phone signal required) to make sure we didn't drift out of the area they thought we'd still be in. (Was a Navy training exercise not a mayday situation).
Old 15-02-2013, 16:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl07 View Post
Thommo,
Good day, We've taken that route both ways. If your've got charts on a PC and plotter, why not just buy the large scale routing chart.

On our website are Cruising Guides for the South WA and SA, and Tasmania. You can copy and save all you want. Or get the downloadable copies.

"Daw Island to St Francis Island, Ouch" is not so bad. Plenty of sea room. The strait and around the corner are the tough bits, plenty of shipping, nasty seas.

BTW Summer will see strong easterlies anywhere near the coast.

Hope that helps

Tags
charts