Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 10:56   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
What happened to the "small" "Affordable" cruisers?

So I was thinking about this the other day. Some of my older sailing friends remember a time when anything over 35' was considered a big boat and between 30' and 35' considered normal for a cruising boat, but 20'-30' boats were regularly cruised. By today's standards these (30'-35') are considered by many to be too small to cruise or cross oceans, and cruising in anything under 30' is considered nuts.

My question is what changed?

We know that boats under 40' are more than capable of circumnavigating (not necessarily comfortably) and that at one point the 26'-36' cruising boat was popular due to the number built. Clearly these boats are seaworthy, Jim Brown cruised his 31' boat "Scrimshaw" for nearly 4 decades, the Pardeys boat was 24', Matt Rutherford did the northwest passage and the horn nonstop in a 27' Albin Vega, countless others have sailed around the world in what is considered today a "Small Boat". Was it just "keeping up with the Jones's" and "I want a bigger boat syndrome" that made everyone want these 40'+ behemoths? Or was there some other more "Scientific" reason behind it?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks. I know the drive towards bigger boats has led to a corresponding increase in price for new boats and thus, a more expensive cost for entry into sailing. I understand wanting a huge boat, but what happened to the "small", capable, AFFORDABLE cruiser that was so popular in the days of yore? Surely a small, capable cruiser would be more profitable to the companies if more people could buy them. and if more people were out sailing wouldn't that be a good thing?
Old 22-07-2020, 11:01   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: What happened to the "small" "Affordable" cruisers?

Demand by the market for more space, storage and living.

Increase in demand for amenities like fridge, watermaker etc which require more space.

Increase use of furlers and electric winches make it easier to handle more sails (one of the reasons there are more sloops vs ketches now as well).
Old 22-07-2020, 11:11   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Or was there some other more "Scientific" reason behind it?
It's a matter of economics..........

It probably costs about the same to produce a 35' boat as a 45' boat......

The larger boat will likely have a longer mast, bigger winches, slightly more standing rigging and slightly more running rigging.

Other than that, both will have at least one head, a sink in the galley, some type of refrigeration and both will have one or two berths and a main salon.

The 45' boat will command a higher price. If you were producing them, why would you waste time on 35' boats.......
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:11   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Go to a boat show. They get bigger every year. The charter trade is a big factor. You can't charter a small boat.

I find I have less and less interest in looking at the boats as a result.

Why go sailing, when I can have a virtual experience in the comfort of my living room? There are fewer boats on the water... which is OK with me.
Old 22-07-2020, 11:15   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Bigger boats have a better profit margin.
Boat builders are primary source of income for boating mags. As are marine equipment manufacturers such as those making EPIRBs and various COB recovery items.
Boating mags aren’t going to say small boats are unsafe, but they do say small boats are cramped and bigger boats are SO much safer.

People read boating mags monthly. They read the book by a small boat sailor once. The big boat mantra is regularly, the small boat point of view only comes up occasionally.

I think there is also a little mentality that lots of equipment and a bigger boat will compensate for minimal experience.

It’s not one big thing pushing in the direction of bigger boats, it’s a lot of little things nudging.

The Pardey’s book chapter about the Xmas 1982 debacle in Cabo San Lucas clinched for me the idea that the biggest boat I would want to double hand would be 37’.

Yes there folks with lots of experience that do difficult voyages in large boats with short crew. But they put in the time and distance to get that experience.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:20   #6

Sailboats are like cars. Is your car a sportster, a station-wagon - oops sorry- an SUV, or a winnebago?

We're still sailing a trailerable 19' microcruiser, out of a small yacht-club. We're seeking a larger boat but until (or if) life grants us the time and budget for serious cruising, we're very happy doing a ton of daysails and the occasional long weekend with her. Or trailering up to a big cottage-lake and spending a week on a body of water that the big boats will never get to.

There's been a resurgence of interest in small camping trailers, even before the coronavirus. Perhaps there will be a new interest in trailerable cruisers as well.

PS - Small Craft Advisor
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:30   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I'll just add this...........

My first house, built in the 50's, had three bedrooms, one bath and a kitchen the size of a postage stamp and detached single car garage.........

Probably 1100 sq ft or less.....

Today's new homes have to have at least three baths, a great room, three car garage, a kitchen with two ovens, 5000 sq ft and a homeowners association.......

Boats are not much different.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:38   #8

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post

Nothing has changed. If you look at sales statistics, the vast majority of boats sold are under 40 foot long. I do not remember the exact number, but it is very very high, higher than 95%.
Now, most people are buying powerboats these days, so this has changed. This is probably because the most popular “cruising” is to the nearest sand bar on a weekend. Most of the boats at a proverbial sand bar party are definitely under 40 feet.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:42   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
So I was thinking about this the other day. Some of my older sailing friends remember a time when anything over 35' was considered a big boat and between 30' and 35' considered normal for a cruising boat, but 20'-30' boats were regularly cruised. By today's standards these (30'-35') are considered by many to be too small to cruise or cross oceans, and cruising in anything under 30' is considered nuts.

We know that boats under 40' are more than capable of circumnavigating (not necessarily comfortably) and that at one point the 26'-36' cruising boat was popular due to the number built. Clearly these boats are seaworthy, Jim Brown cruised his 31' boat "Scrimshaw" for nearly 4 decades, the Pardeys boat was 24', Matt Rutherford did the northwest passage and the horn nonstop in a 27' Albin Vega, countless others have sailed around the world in what is considered today a "Small Boat". Was it just "keeping up with the Jones's" and "I want a bigger boat syndrome" that made everyone want these 40'+ behemoths? Or was there some other more "Scientific" reason behind it?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks. I know the drive towards bigger boats has led to a corresponding increase in price for new boats and thus, a more expensive cost for entry into sailing. I understand wanting a huge boat, but what happened to the "small", capable, AFFORDABLE cruiser that was so popular in the days of yore? Surely a small, capable cruiser would be more profitable to the companies if more people could buy them. and if more people were out sailing wouldn't that be a good thing?
Over the years we've known several cruisers happily sailing in smaller boats, many in the low 30' range and some in 20-30 foot range. Some were single-handers, but many were couples and occasionally couples with children.

Seaworthiness was not considered an issue. A well found small boat can do fine even in pretty bad weather, if well sailed. But the boats were sparse, as a rule, with few of the conveniences we now think of as essential. Refrigeration was rare, and only basic radio gear. Windlasses often not present, or manual. Sails were hank on. Obviously storage was limited. Dinghies often had only a tiny motor or none.

The cruisers on these boats were (are, some still exist) true sailors and adventurers and it seems to me that they always had big smiles and a friendly wave for passers by.

But the tolerance for sparse living is not frequently seen now days. People rarely have an appetite for hardship and that kind of adventure. They have a long list of what they think they must have, and they arrived at the broker's office in "his" and "hers" large SUV's. They are used to things being "nice". People looking at a boat for cruising compare it with others they've seen and they soon want and expect a little more. A little more room, a little more of the electrical conveniences, fridge, freezer, navigation equipment, radio equipment, windlass, autopilot, a little more power generation equipment, and spares of everything, more room for the "stuff' they think would be nice to have along, like a bigger dingy (RIB of course, and a motor which can plane it, and a spare motor), kayaks, dive equipment, bicycles.. You know, it goes on. Multiple cabins with doors and big heads, often with showers. When looking at boats and comparing, boy that bigger one sure seems nice...

All of this adds up to people buying bigger boats, and of course, that takes more money. But more money is common these days, and is required to cruise anyhow, berthing, sails, etc.

So what used to be common, the smaller cruising boats, are still possible, and many are still out there cruising, and cruising on outrageously small budgets. But in today's day and age, a 45' catamaran costing half a million dollars is closer to the norm than a 26 pilot cutter. And to my way of thinking, that's sad.

We've all become jaded.
Old 22-07-2020, 11:55   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

When I was a kid I thought my 24' was big and a 35' would be massive and certainly hard to handle. Then along came roller furling, GPS, big fat boats, cheap airfares, the "gee, it would be nice to have a shower" and no more stories of romantic adventures on the covers of Life and National Geographic magazines. And then there is the shift of just what was affordable to the middle class. Seen many new Cessnas around? The good news though, when I want to get away from it all, is that my favorite little anchorages have fewer visitors these days.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:05   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I will state, without any proof or evidence whatever, that our 1981 36 foot Pearson 365 ketch is most likely a stronger boat today than many brand new boats for sale. I also suspect she will be around long after these newer boats are landfill.

I will also state they will not have more serenity than we had either!

God love the Good Old Days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ann2006 San Bernard River.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	219778  
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:14   #12

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat

Thanks for all the great replies so far guys. I definitely want to hear everyone else's thoughts too. I fully admit that while I didn't start that way, at one point I was one of the "gotta have a bigger boat with all the fancy gadgets" people. But with age and experience (I guess I can say that at 28 lol) has come the realization that even with all the modern amenities, it can be a challenge to safely singlehand anything above about 35' in rough weather, and that even with 2 people you are basically singlehanding a large amount of the time. All this has led me back around to see the practicality, and dare I say romance of smaller boats. I'd rather actually go cruising than just dream about cruising, and as such I am now looking for a 30'-36' boat or maybe even building one, I just want to go on adventures and get to go sailing while i'm at it.
Old 22-07-2020, 12:26   #13

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
All this has led me back around to see the practicality, and dare I say romance of smaller boats. I'd rather actually go cruising than just dream about cruising, and as such I am now looking for a 30'-36' boat or maybe even building one, I just want to go on adventures and get to go sailing while i'm at it.
You are not immune either ... why is it that you want a big 36ft boat? as you pointed out that there are still people sailing and having adventures with <30ft boats ... join us!
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:29   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

No, no don’t build unless that’s a goal in and of itself.
Start building and it’ll be another 10yr before you go. Unlikely to save you much money either.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:33   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Oh my god
Otter, look at that boat
Its so big
She looks like one of those production boats
Who understands those production boats
They only sail her because she is like like a floating condo
I mean her stern, length and beam
It's just so big
I can't believe it's so proud
It's just out there
I mean, it's gross
Look, she's just so HUGE