Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 13:55   #31

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
A missing dink is worth a Pan Pan Pan?

Not in my world that for sure.
In mine it depends upon what is in it. All the way up to a mayday.
Old 04-03-2017, 14:17   #32

Boat: Liberty 458 46' sail

We have davits on our sailboat. It Manual labor to pick up the dinghy, especially when the 25hp is on the dink. When we are out cruising we pick up the dinghy every night with very few exceptions. Why?? Because you never know what is going to happen. We were in the Sea of Cortez anchored by the bow on the leeward side an island with 5 other boats. Great night. and no swell. Around Midnight the wind went from a light breeze to over 50 in less than 10 minutes. We held for awhile but most of the others started dragging at a surprising pace. The guy next o me fired up his engine, put it in gear and wrapped the painter. at that point, he was not worried about the dink. His real problem was he was moving quickly towards a lee shore. And he was not the only boat that night that almost lost their boat by sucking in the painter. A few years later, we were in Niue a strong onshore breeze came up. Very deep and none of us trusted the moorings so we all picked up and left. No problem except that one boat that had the painter break and the dingy hit the rocks on shore.
svseawitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:53   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
So several days of +30 knot wind have been forecast for a week. It was fun to watch everyone come into the anchorage yesterday hurriedly and watch their anchoring style.

Obviously everyone knew it was going to be windy.

As the sun starts to set and the wind starts to build I'm looking around and notice all these boats still have their dinks in the water tied off at the stern. I'm thinking wtf?

Sure enough this morning some Einstein on a power boat comes on the radio declaring "Pan Pan my dink is missing the line got frayed somehow"

Really? What did you think was going to happen? Nice dink too, Aluminum AVB with a 15 horse on it. It's out to sea now. Idiot.
Pride goeth before a fall and a lesson in seamanship
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 16:01   #34

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Dinghy on davits raised just enough to drain any rain. Fender between dinghy and swim ladder. Zero problems.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:20   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

This happens alot with big mother ships and small dinks - you simply do not hear nor feel how much the dink is tugging by that painter.

But people with big boats sure can afford another dink. This one ... I hope some poor local fisherman will find it useful.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:30   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

I have a permanent security chain on my dink.. attached to the motor.. through the tank handle then fed fwd along the grab ropes and down to the steel ring at the bow.. plus 2.5 metres surplus..
I just lock my dinghy to the stern and tie my painter so it takes the strain.. if the rope goes the chain will hold it.. and its hard to steal without making a bit of noise.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:58   #37

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

Over Christmas, in Moreton Bay, Queensland, many boats like to anchor on Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island, when the northerlies are blowing.
The local police issued fines to boats who had dingies on tenders behind their boats, at night.
The fines were for vessels not displaying mooring lights. ?? !!!
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 18:48   #38

Amazing? Keep up the good work.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 19:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have a permanent security chain on my dink.. attached to the motor.. through the tank handle then fed fwd along the grab ropes and down to the steel ring at the bow.. plus 2.5 metres surplus..
I just lock my dinghy to the stern and tie my painter so it takes the strain.. if the rope goes the chain will hold it.. and its hard to steal without making a bit of noise.
Haha, I think I just met a guy who offered to sell me two of your dinks, with chain. Maybe not.
Old 04-03-2017, 20:43   #40

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

With my new toy and a cutoff wheel, I spit on your security chain. It takes me less than 10 seconds to free your dinghy.

Makita XAG03 LXT Li-Ion 18 volt Brushless 4 1/2 cordless angle grinder New | eBay
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 22:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
With my new toy and a cutoff wheel, I spit on your security chain. It takes me less than 10 seconds to free your dinghy.

Makita XAG03 LXT Li-Ion 18 volt Brushless 4 1/2 cordless angle grinder New | eBay
...and with his spare chain, guess what he does to you! Boatman is a chain driven son-of-a-gun. But it looks like a neat tool that he will acquire.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46   #42

Boat: Island Packet 370

Hi Delancy We must be in same anchorage (Black Point). Seems like everyone is holding pretty well. Not looking forward to two more days of this wind but this is probably about best place to be.

We are about straight out from town dock. Stop by and see us......BTW our dingy is up!
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:54   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawtty View Post
Over Christmas, in Moreton Bay, Queensland, many boats like to anchor on Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island, when the northerlies are blowing.
The local police issued fines to boats who had dingies on tenders behind their boats, at night.
The fines were for vessels not displaying mooring lights. ?? !!!
Wow, you have seriously got to question the individuals issuing these fines, sheeple at best. The girlfriend throw a line of the back today, I had to remind her we are in NSW and need a fishing licence.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:05   #44

Boat: Hunter 340

I'm anchored in Georgetown. I was shocked to hear several boats calling out to ask when the winds would die down and what is the weather forcast! How did they ever get this far???
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:16   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I'm anchored in Georgetown. I was shocked to hear several boats calling out to ask when the winds would die down and what is the weather forcast! How did they ever get this far???
I was more shocked yesterday by the charter boats heading out here in Marsh Harbor. Can't they see the weather and couldn't the Moorings people have suggested maybe they should stay?