Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 17:26   #91

Boat: Island Packet 32
Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

We all know exactly what he thought was going to happen, so it's a dumb question. He though it would be there, when next he looked for it. I hope he found it.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 17:36   #92

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

We always, always, pull the dinghy up onto our davits at night. I do not pull it all the way up, but enough to keep it clear of the water. Why? For the same reason others have mentioned, if we drag anchor at night or have to move for some reason, it and its line are not in the way and will not get tangled in our props.

I am especially amazed when I see people leave them in the water when there are very strong winds around. The effort of pulling up and dropping down is minimal and if I need to, I can launch it within a minute.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:09   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is kinda the point I was trying to make earlier, Hudson. A single painter, of adequate size and made fast without chafe points is unlikely to fail. If it is made from floating line, and/or is also too short to reach the prop, it is not going to foul the prop.
I noticed on a thread elsewhere that Ann T Cate said "we" had our prop fouled by a dinghy painter. I assume you were the other part of we. If it is relevant to the topic and you are so inclined I am curious to know more about the circumstances of the event Ann referred to.

Thanks
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:13   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What kind of nesting dinghy do you have? I'm looking to build one.
Danny Greene chameleon. Good dink, search for threads.
Old 16-03-2017, 18:23   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
We all know exactly what he thought was going to happen, so it's a dumb question. He though it would be there, when next he looked for it. I hope he found it.
You are exactly right. I have rightly or wrongly been criticized for passing judgment or being unseamanlike or whatever because I called the guy Einstein and genius, whatever. Fine.

What my critics missed out on were the "Pan Pan" calls on the radio that really should have been "Securite" calls to alert fellow mariners of the hazard created by this individual's carelessness as well the completely mystified expression that accomapied his saying " the line was frayed somewhow?" Hence my titling the thread as I did.

I mentioned these points earlier but maybe they were missed.
Old 16-03-2017, 21:32   #96

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I noticed on a thread elsewhere that Ann T Cate said "we" had our prop fouled by a dinghy painter. I assume you were the other part of we. If it is relevant to the topic and you are so inclined I am curious to know more about the circumstances of the event Ann referred to.

Thanks
Event in question was in November 1986 in the Santa Barbara channel, somewhere near Anacapa island. We had been cruising full time for a full three weeks at that point and had not discovered the beauty of floating dinghy painters. I forget exactly why we stopped, but did so, and when we started forward again (motoring, obviously) the painter fouled the prop. It was a folder, and as I recall, it took me (a much younger me) a couple of dives to free it up.

Before buying our present boat, our first Insatiable had no room for a big dink on deck, so we towed it far more that is seamanlike. That was the only prop fouling we ever had, despite not using a floater for several more years. Never lost a dink from chafe... pretty easy to avoid that with some forethought and care.

Jim
Old 16-03-2017, 21:50   #97

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Event in question was in November 1986 in the Santa Barbara channel, somewhere near Anacapa island. We had been cruising full time for a full three weeks at that point and had not discovered the beauty of floating dinghy painters. I forget exactly why we stopped, but did so, and when we started forward again (motoring, obviously) the painter fouled the prop. It was a folder, and as I recall, it took me (a much younger me) a couple of dives to free it up.

Before buying our present boat, our first Insatiable had no room for a big dink on deck, so we towed it far more that is seamanlike. That was the only prop fouling we ever had, despite not using a floater for several more years. Never lost a dink from chafe... pretty easy to avoid that with some forethought and care.

Jim
Well THIS made me laugh! November 1986 was just when I was out there too in that neck of the woods with a wild bunch of teenagers. And I was anchored on the north side of Santa Cruz and a big wind in the middle of the night TOOK MY DINGHY too! (I'm not sure why... it could be that I could be accused of idiocy or lunacy though, but I'll blame it on the kids.) So Jim, by any chance did you happen to see a bright orange Metzeler flying by while you were there? Sure miss that boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 21:58   #98

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well THIS made me laugh! November 1986 was just when I was out there too in that neck of the woods with a wild bunch of teenagers. And I was anchored on the north side of Santa Cruz and a big wind in the middle of the night TOOK MY DINGHY too! (I'm not sure why... it could be that I could be accused of idiocy or lunacy though, but I'll blame it on the kids.) So Jim, by any chance did you happen to see a bright orange Metzeler flying by while you were there? Sure miss that boat!
Don, someone likely nicked it and made a Jack-o-lantern out of it!

Jim