Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2020, 23:13   #106

Boat: Cruising yacht 37’
Re: What are your worst fear sailing events

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
Have you experienced this one?
Traveling with a guy I’ve known for years who starts acting really weird on the second day. He was being difficult to the point that he was endangering the safety of the boat. When asked to do something, he would be intentionally be counter productive or find some other task to perform that wasn’t related to the present needs. When finally reaching the destination, he was asked to toss a line to the person on the dock. There was a strong cross wind. Several times, he intentionally threw the line short which required another approach. Next, after being told that a significant risk of striking the docked downwind boat existed, he took almost all of the dock lines in a bundle and threw them onto the guy on the dock without having one attached to the boat. the guy on the dock remained calm and professional. Finally, I had to leave the helm and get a line to the dock guy. Finally, I got him off the boat and headed for home. Fortunately, no weapons were aboard.
a really bad situation to be in,emotional stress is hard to gauge but the boat,the crew and the safety depend on the skipper,ive had this when I chastised my son,previously and he shut down,things work out mostly in the end.safe sailing.
Discovery 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 23:22   #107

Boat: Cruising yacht 37’

Your the skipper,your safety,crew and boat in reverse order count on it.Be prudent in your purchase,or before you sail have her ship shape,lives and investments are involved.no preaching from me.
Discovery 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 23:26   #108

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Fire, no matter where the boat is located. And its not fear so much but concern that even with 5 fire extinquishers on board, it might still be difficult to handle the problem.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:08   #109

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

I guess we all kind of look at the challenges of sailing , not as fear, but having a great deal of respect for mother ocean, and the weather gods. We are all going to be dinged up on occasion.

Our attitude is a well found vessel, true seaman ship, situational awareness, experience, and even then things are going to happen in life, on land, in the air and in or on the water.

The other side of that, is being controlled by electronic devices, siting on the couch,
mowing the lawn, cleaning out the garage, working in a cubicle, and living a dull and negative existence .

I also like the saying..... ATTITUDE, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE..

During this romp thru different life experiences, sports , fun, the military, flying, sailing, and just life, i have a list of lumps and bumps as well...

Skull fracture, concussoins, smashed face, last rites, broken legs, ankles wrists, ribs, tripple by pass, close to drowning body surfing in storm conditions, and much more. But, none of that stopped my quest for living life . Thar aint much fear, but there is a lot of respect for what lies out there.

At near max geezerdom, we are still sailing, hiking, kayaking, working out 4 to 5 days a week, and staying fit, and positive. Headed down to live in the jungles of costa rica in a few days for a couple of weeks. The Osa Peninsula....but that will be comfortable lodgings, and grand fun and plenty of activity .

Next will be extended road trips thru our west and south west to explore our own beautiful and amazing country. and yep, I am on life's final glide slope, but still living a fun, active and positive and friendly lifestyle.

And when I die, it may be from over use, but certainly won;t be from rust.

You all have had a life of sailing, and cruising and have amassed amazing adventures and gleaned many wonderful friendships . Beats the coon dog whompas out of
okole sitting nothingness of doldrums and texting and swiping .

Good on ya.............LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:04   #110

Boat: C&C 29 MkII 1983

Don’t forget experiencing a man overboard (MOB) which may have very serious consequences. I am surprised that you did not mentioned it.

Once, with a 24 boats we saw two MOB during a short regatta. It does happen!
marcvilleneuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 17:13   #111

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

When if I have worried while sailing, it has most often been about sinking, and then only if the water is cold, or I am many miles from shore. The boat I'm building now has sufficient flotation located and secured such that it can sail on its lines (almost) when holed. I don't think I'd head off on a trip across an ocean in a boat that can sink if it takes on water, given that alternatives are available.

However, I've been on ships that would sink if seriously holed, without having any real concern about it. I'm not all that rational, I suppose... but then again, a 50 foot breaking wave can do more damage to a small boat than to a large ship.

I have done things like racing motorcycles and flying aerobatics without a parachute, either of which is more dangerous than sailing a boat that can sink. But fears are often not rational. I am also pretty comfortable driving cars, a comparatively dangerous activity.

I've occasionally had passing worries about fire on board, and so I cook with alcohol, which is easily extinguished. I'd consider CNG on board, but not propane. (But then my upcoming boat will have a gasoline engine -- so go figure.)

I have not often felt the need to clip on to jacklines, but think that I will make that a routine when single handing when away from land in a good breeze.

There is a slight fear of embarrassment that can creep in, occasionally -- such as when things go absolutely haywire when docking.

Interesting thread. We are all different, while all being fundamentally the same.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:57   #112

Completely running out of options.

Or maybe falling overboard while single handed and not able to climb up the tether. Getting bashed/drown to death. [emoji88]
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:43   #113

Boat: Hanse 531

For some reason I have this recurring nightmare where I look up and notice that our boat is almost completely surrounded by rocks sticking up from the water.

We never hit them... my heart is beating like crazy when I'm trying to turn around and navigate back through some obscure opening we had entered this rock constellation.. then I usually wake up.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:47   #114
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Those are all good things to worry about which is why we do maintenance, have scads of safety gear, and mitigation plans, thus they are not things I "fear" while sailing because I've already dealt with them.
Things I do fear (that haven't already been mentioned)
-Kids on jet skis.
-"Is my wife bored/seasick?"
-looking like a fool when I mess up single handed docking (I know it's silly, no one cares how I dock, but it still bothers me)

Regarding tethers, I have always suspected that for every horror story there are millions of non-stories where an unexpected wave hits, you grab your tether, and absolutely nothing happens. It never gets reported or even remembered. I know it's happened to me lots of times. None the less that tether may have just saved your life without your even knowing.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48   #115

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

Pirates.
MickMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:18   #116

The fear all skippers should have is a man / woman overboard at night. You are morally and legally responsible
Flextron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:30   #117

Boat: C&C 30 (1975) Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If you are afraid of sailing, why are you doing it?
Im not at all afraid of sailing. And, my "fear" for the events listed are really things I am concerned enough to postulate potential actions I might take should the event occur.

I apologize if you received that message that I fear sailiing from my post.

Thanks for your interest.

MccNeo
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50   #118

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Fear can come (or go) in strange ways.

The father of a new boating family was afraid of transiting port to port along the shoreline, particularly afraid of rocks. I told him “it’s a $30,000 boat, the same value as your Honda Accord which you don’t worry about. And it’s insured. Beyond that you draw 5 feet so if you hit a rock and sink you can just about wade ashore.” And that was it- fear gone once put in perspective.

Another fairly experienced couple upgraded to a larger boat worth $250,000. The stress of the larger and much more expensive boat (responsibility and risk) was too much for the skipper. They sold the boat and quit sailing within two years.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 16:49   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Dead calm in a shipping lane with blocked diesel filters and no motor,

Blocked diesel filters, In a violent storm, What will happen if I cant get the motor going again,
Grrrrrr

Not too hard to rig a diesel fuel polisher into your system...
Old 15-02-2020, 17:04   #120

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
Not too hard to rig a diesel fuel polisher into your system...
Even just laying a Drogue.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
events, sail, sailing