Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 21:24   #1

Enclosures; Why??

WHY do people enclose their cockpits?

I understand COMPLETELY if you are sailing in far northern latitudes where extending the season a few weeks is a big deal, but I am talking about people sailing in the Bahamas for god's sake!

We have the capability of fully enclosing our cockpit, and we do-- but only when sailing downwind, in the rain. But as soon as the weather clears, we feel like hothouse orchids, and the aft curtain is stripped down for the air. Yet we see many boats sailing with the cockpit wrapped up like a little greenhouse. I sweat just looking at them.

I just don't understand the appeal. We certainly like our shade from the sun, but when sailing at night, we always fold down the dodger (it takes 30 secs on our boat) to bask under the night sky. It's awesome and beautiful The idea of sailing in an isinglass box... YUCH!

If nature has such little appeal, I think maybe you took up the wrong hobby?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 21:48   #2

Boat: Passport 41
Re: Enclosures; Why??

mmm... popcorn.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 22:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Why not?

If I wanted to go camping 24/7 I would have gone camping 24/7. For me my boat is my mobile Summer home. And (soon to be) enclosed cockpit is the 3 season porch. To watch the stars and whatnot I have a spacious swimming platform for that. And the foredeck.

Oh and btw, fraying and holed bimini top gets old fast. About 5 years ago I installed a hard top and this was one of top 3 improvements which really improved the quality of boat time for me. Along with the electric windlass and the swimming platform.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 00:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have just picked up one of these to give us some shelter. Ironically, the weather has been so bad I haven't had the opportunity to put it up and see what its like. They are not for permanent use, more when you stop and then take it down for sailing. However, they are 1/5th of the price of a full canopy.

Products - Habitent

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour-32-classic-734x418.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	210590  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 08:23   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I gave up my bimini and dodger for a nice Henri Lloyd get up and it's been great. When the going gets rough, it is nice to have at least a dodger to duck behind though.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 08:31   #6

Quote:

I understand COMPLETELY if you are sailing in far northern latitudes where extending the season a few weeks is a big deal, but I am talking about people sailing in the Bahamas for god's sake!

We have the capability of fully enclosing our cockpit, and we do-- but only when sailing downwind, in the rain. But as soon as the weather clears, we feel like hothouse orchids, and the aft curtain is stripped down for the air. Yet we see many boats sailing with the cockpit wrapped up like a little greenhouse. I sweat just looking at them.

I just don't understand the appeal. We certainly like our shade from the sun, but when sailing at night, we always fold down the dodger (it takes 30 secs on our boat) to bask under the night sky. It's awesome and beautiful The idea of sailing in an isinglass box... YUCH!

Sun protection at anchor is best provided by a sun awning

Dodgers , Bimini and other are sun protection when sailing

At the dock enclosed cockpits and window covers provide privacy and deter theft
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:16   #7

Boat: Sabre 34II

We have a small dodger that provides very little shade and we usually have it down while sailing. There are times in the middle of summer when I wish to have a cockpit shade during sailing, last summer we used a beach umbrella securely attached to the pedestal railing.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 10:15   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

We do as you do. We enclose the aft part of the cockpit mostly when sailing from Europe to the West Indies - protect from rain, wind, noise, sun, etc.

When it is nice and clear, we ope it all up and enjoy the nature. It is all made out of canvas here so taking it up and down takes maybe 5 minutes max. Easy to convert the convertible.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 14:47   #9

At my age I guess I should have enclosed the cockpit but mentally I can't bring myself to do it. We have a Dodger for taking on spray and a bimini for sun protection and the boat still looks pretty smart with this arrangement. A sister ship did the full enclosure and I can't deny that it's very snug in there if it's cold or raining but a beauty contest it will never win.
All we have to do is put on some fowl weather gear in the heavy rain, not really a big deal.
Steve Dashew once described a full enclosure as being butt ugly from the outside but kinda pretty on the inside. Just not ready to do butt ugly yet.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 14:58   #10

Because sailing the closest thing to real sailing like watching a sailing video in your living room on the big screen.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We are sailing in the Bahamas right now, with our full cockpit enclosure at anchor.
I even have the privacy curtains up.
Why? Because we shower in the cockpit, just finished as a matter of fact. We don’t shower in the head cause I feel that over time all the teak in the head will be ruined, plus it gets everything wet and she has her makeup etc there.
Oh, and we take hot fresh water showers every day too. I know a real cruiser would never do that.
I roll the sides up when we sail, takes all of five minutes maybe, but sometimes like when we crossed from Eluthera a week or so ago and we were on beam reach in 25 kts of wind we would get wet spray in the cockpit, so I rolled the port side down, without the privacy curtains of course. Why get wet when you don’t have to? Performance we were running over 8 kts which is over our hull speed, so windage didn’t matter. I’m not saying we are a fast boat, but what can’t bust hull speed in 25 kts of wind on a beam reach?

I won’t sail in the cold, I’m doing this for fun and enjoyment, and being cold to me is neither.

When Earth bound we drive a convertible and gasp, often drive with the top up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

I'll never understand why some people like grits. Do you know of an appropriate forum to pose the question ?
Old 14-03-2020, 16:14   #13

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We have just picked up one of these to give us some shelter. Ironically, the weather has been so bad I haven't had the opportunity to put it up and see what its like. They are not for permanent use, more when you stop and then take it down for sailing. However, they are 1/5th of the price of a full canopy.

Products - Habitent

Pete
That is totally awesome. I can’t believe it’s so inexpensive. I’m going to get me one of those. Thanks.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 16:19   #14

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

We have a full enclosure with 8 different side panels that can all be individually used/removed. So we strategically have them on for:

- Anchoring overnight in trade wind conditions
- Rain not falling vertically
- Passagemaking in blustery conditions
- keeping the cockpit dry when not on the boat
- deflecting colder winds on the windward side when sailing
- turning the cockpit into our lounge at night when it’s not hot
- deflecting waves/spray, centre cockpits are notoriously wet even in quiet conditions

When I had my enclosure made (SAN Diego 2007) the sailmaker who did the job thought I was crazy and many boat owners agreed. But when we sailed by them on a cold winter’s days we always compared our state of dress (shorts, tee shirts) with theirs (full-on weather gear) and believed we had it right.

When we’re in the tropics it takes a few minutes to leave just the roof standing if weather is good for that.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 16:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'll never understand why some people like grits. Do you know of an appropriate forum to pose the question ?
Maybe the off topic forum ?
But with grits you need to understand they are a carrier of the tastes you add to them, by themselves they are bland almost tasteless. Most grit eaters like them with salt, pepper and butter, maybe some bacon bits. My Mother loved cheese grits.
I like mine with red eye gravy.

I have heard mushrooms are pretty much tasteless by themselves but become good if seasoned well. Not being a fungus eater I can’t say, but if it’s true, then they are like grits.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc