Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 18:40   #76

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: What are your worst fear sailing events

Mr.B - That sounds like it could be a real-life scene in a Mel Gibson movie - you really conveyed those nasty sea conditions well. They'd probably insist on leaving the spreader lights on though... then get you up there in a bosun's chair changing a bulb.

That's the kind of experience that really gives you confidence in your boat - good seamanship bringing her in.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 18:43   #77

Boat: Islander 36

"Courage is just a way of managing your fears."
Old 28-01-2020, 22:44   #78

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
I don’t understand your issue

Typically a seaman tethers in on the windward side . Tether length keeps the seaman on the deck and clear of being sucked off , overboard , to leeward

.very difficult to go overboard to windward
several issues actually

i know people who have gone overboard with a tether on and drowned

i know people who have drowned because they could not get their tether undone

certainly respect anyone who wishes to use a tether...i did once upon a time too, and we definitely used tethers on the race boats (at night or in rough weather

it's just that i know my abilities compared to what i am doing, and make an informed decision that it is not worth the hassle.

and as i said earlier : what's the worst that can happen...you die. so what ? going to happen anyway...

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 13:43   #79

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8273 View Post
I worry — especially if single handing — that I'm too worn out when it's time to anchor, dock or whatever...
Yep, generally I don't worry too much about my boat when alone (okay, I've never sailed through a hurricane or around Cape Horn...), but if there is three ounces of wind and I'm near other folks' boats, I'd rather just find somewhere else to anchor/dock...
Old 29-01-2020, 14:29   #80

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
That cruisers who are already an overwhelmingly over privileged group will continue their wasteful and immoral practices that is mainstream cruising today.

This group made up disproportionately of professions that cause more harm than good: bankers, executives, pilots etc.. who spent their whole life taking advantage of others and causing irreparable damage to the natural world then go in retirement and buy a boat much too big for them to handle under sail.

They then pollute their way along further sealing the fate of the last coral reefs so they can motor leaving an oil slick in one of the least polluted places in the world just to go 100 yards to the island (rather than rowing) so they can have a cruisers "potluck" on suwarrov and discuss why oil spills "aren't that bad" while they sit around eating lamb.

I fear there will be nothing left to cruise to, no places not destroyed, chaos making it dangerous almost everywhere.
I’m sure I’m correct that your post is strongly tongue-in-cheek but even if it’s not, you and I remain unchastened because I wasn’t a banker, executive, pilot, etc. and you never bought a boat much too big for you to handle under sail. 🙂
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:43   #81

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

To sail through oceans filled more by floating plastic than marine life
capt_TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:08   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Lightning.

Later,
Dan
Agreed. Lightning. And running out of rum.
mikeygstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:28   #83

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

I wouldn't classify any of the above mentioned as fears but concerns. For each of these you have to have a plan prepared. If I feared any of these I would sell my boat and buy an RV.
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:38   #84

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Good Garboard! sailors,

No disrespect, but do questions like this (and, for example, "what is the best boat for a newbie circumnavigation?) make this forum silly?
But it's true, hours or days of watching wavelets move by in the wrong direction can give an urge to hear something - anything - from somebody.

There is one zinger here: a person has to be one cool and experienced fish to be dismasted under "mundane conditions." Knocked over by a boatyard crane?
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 08:28   #85

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

I have heard stories on this forum of unfortunate souls lost overboard or dragged to death after falling off. This is my worst fear. On the cat there is two of everything except the rig. I’ve already grounded and jammed the rudder so know what I would do in this scenario.

I keep my MOB rescue plan tight.

1. Test the jackline!! At least yearly I try it out by putting myself over the side at the dock. Under the lifelines is the worst scenario so do that, and you’re not going to bend something with your test. If my waist gets wet the jackline is run in the wrong spot. On my cat the jack lines are near the jib sheets, so a good 3 feet in from the toe rail.

2. I upgraded the radio to a standard horizon receive only AIS purely for the MOB at night or in weather scenario. Two wires to patch it into the plotter NMEA-in. The watch inflatable lifejacket has a McMurdo AIS beacon in it. I tested it and the plotter produces a loud freak out noise that doesn’t stop until acknowledged and drops a waypoint on the MOB location. Didn’t leave it on to see if the waypoint moves but how could it not?
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 08:44   #86

Boat: Victory 35 "SYMMETRY"; Windrider 16 Trimaran

In general, the things we fear are those that we cannot control. Those events or. “risks” can be divided into the ones that cannot be controlled and those that can, or might be, controlled. Some risks can be reduced by understanding how and when they are likely to occur, e.g. bad weather or sea conditions, and then avoiding them. Others can be controlled by acquiring relevant skills and experience, e.g. practicing docking in moderate wind or current conditions. Still other risks can be reduced or controlled by relevant preparations, e.g. practicing MOB recovery, using lifelines and harnesses, learning to mark MOB on chart plotter, etc..

Unfortunately, humans are very good at developing and maintaining illusions of control, even for risks that can be reduced or eliminated by understanding, preparation, and simply acquiring equipment that can help avoid the risk, e.g. GPS, AIS, radar, etc..

So, well worth the effort to sort things out and reduce risks where feasible. Think constructively. Thereby, fears will be minimized or eliminated.

Prayer is irrelevant and doesn’t work — just a type of illusion of control/delusion.
ljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 08:47   #87

Boat: Dufour Sortilege 12.4m
Send a message via Skype™ to simonmorice

Putting into a European port under the Brexitland flag will likely be the most terrifying event of 2020. I am buying a new and tiny apology ensign. So ashamed...
simonmorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 08:52   #88

I'd say get reached by lightining!!
Ricardo Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:05   #89

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Worst fear - becoming to feeble to sail.
Yep, sitting in a chair or lying on your back watching reruns on TV whilst you wait to die is a fate worse than death.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:19   #90

Boat: Catalina 27 tall rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
I don't think sailing was the Question.
It's a what is your most revelant fear?

One for me is losing engine while in a heavy current area.
Say, transiting Deception Pass, loss of engine in the middle.
Rock walls both sides, little room, none for turning.
Ughhh!
Single handed moving from Gig Harbor to BC-got my Catalina 27 grounded on sandbar during storm in Skagit Bay tide finally came up-didn't run out of alcohol.
Ran Deception pass into Rosario strait next day at full ebb....great action.
Worst fear was realized 2 days later my 9.9 o/b quit while motor sailing up Fraser River and headsail got wrapped up-suddenly not cool, but kept her afloat.
Lineguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
events, sail, sailing