Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 22:36   #1

Whale Stories- Recent /for you nay sayers.

I love her books. These stories from her blog are real life. She is a very good writer. For those of you that like nautical stories, you need to read her. You wont be sorry.Tales from the boatyard | SailingWriter
Old 26-09-2015, 22:44   #2

Re: Whale Stories- Recent /for you nay sayers.

2 boats in the same yard in the south pacific getting repairs for whale damage. Some of you armchair sailors have insinuated that this is a 1 in a million chance? What is your answer if any?
Old 27-09-2015, 01:13   #3

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Is says "But here’s the weird thing. Both boats were Swedish". So, I guess the rest of us shouldn't worry too much.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 01:29   #4

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayy View Post
2 boats in the same yard in the south pacific getting repairs for whale damage. Some of you armchair sailors have insinuated that this is a 1 in a million chance? What is your answer if any?
May answer is the same one my statistics professor would give me: Inprobably events do happen. Pointing at an occurrance of an event in itself does not disprove a claim that something is improbable.

There is a guy in the UK who won the lottery twice. With the same numbers...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 03:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
May answer is the same one my statistics professor would give me: Inprobably events do happen. Pointing at an occurrance of an event in itself does not disprove a claim that something is improbable.

There is a guy in the UK who won the lottery twice. With the same numbers...
Many events are extremely improbable, but are almost guaranteed to occur. Often it has nothing to do with statistical truth.
Possibly the simplest example is a lottery. These often have incredible odds that seem impossible to beat, but indeed someone (almost) always wins. This is because of the sheer number of people playing. Even though an individual has a low chance of success, overall it's almost certain that it will be won by somebody.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 03:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It's balanced out by the millions of other million to one events which haven't happened. It's just that you never here about them
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:37   #7
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter

On more than one occasion I have had to stop for a blue whale sleeping on the surface and alter course for a group of humpbacks crossing in front of me on the way to Catalina Island. We had a Humpback fully breach just a few yards from us while sailing inside the Great Barrier Reef. I've even had a mother humpback and her baby swim directly under my keel in San Diego. So yeah, hitting a whale is highly probable if you sail long enough.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:47   #8

Have met someone who was hit by whale on trip to NZ. Broke rudder and took on water. I myself while sailing from Western Samoa to Tonga encountered 6 whales along the port side of my boat when I woke up. The largest (about 30 feet) was closest to boat and I could reach it and touch it. Others, a little smaller and more active seemed to be kept away by the larger. Sailing solo, I didn't kow what to do so I didn't do anything. They stayed with me for a couple hours and then left. I didn't change course, start motor, or change sail set. Just continued and was thankful nothing happened. Beautiful to watch but made me nervous.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:52   #9

Boat: PSC Orion 27

There was an interesting thread earlier about hull colour and whale collisions.
Condensed version; to whales, the colour red looks like a school of fish or patch of krill. They're not seeing your hull as a solid object.
Solution; blue bottom paint.

Interesting to see what colour the Swedes' bottom paint was.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 08:13   #10

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

"There was an interesting thread earlier about hull colour and whale collisions.
Condensed version; to whales, the colour red looks like a school of fish or patch of krill. They're not seeing your hull as a solid object.
Solution; blue bottom paint.

Interesting to see what colour the Swedes' bottom paint was."

That is very logical. It's too bad since I like the red bottom with a blue hull. I guess I'll keep the red bottom on the coastal boats and use blue for the boat I am sailing on extended trips!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 08:13   #11

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Statistics are funny. For instance, in flipping four pennies the odds at the start are that two will be heads and two tails. After you flip 3 times getting two heads and one tail what do you think the odds are for the fourth flip? How about if the first three flips were all Heads? In both cases the odds are even that it will be heads or tails. Whatever the previous results were makes absolutely no difference in the next flip.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 08:17   #12

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
Statistics are funny. For instance, in flipping four pennies the odds at the start are that two will be heads and two tails. After you flip 3 times getting two heads and one tail what do you think the odds are for the fourth flip? Even odds that it will be heads or tails. Whatever the previous results were makes absolutely no difference in the next flip.
It's the disbelief in this simple fact that keeps people pulling slot machine handles. The lottery; a tax on people who don't understand odds and statistics.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 08:23   #13

Two Sperm whales swimming close to a couple of tropical bound Yachts,,,,discussion ! Ramming yachts.
One says to the other " i love sinking those things but i just hate swallowing the sea men "
I've hit two of them in small yachts BUT its their ocean,,now i make sure i have music playing at night with a speaker
Up against the hull,,,have'nt hit one since.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 09:01   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Whale watching is a popular summer attraction in Bay of Fundy-no incidents in past that I'm aware of. Humpbacks,Minkes,Fins & Right whales are most common.

https://www.facebook.com/kerry.green...3540803915090/Click image for larger version

Name:	whale1.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	110059

Click image for larger version

Name:	whale2.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	110060

Click image for larger version

Name:	whale3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	110061
Old 27-09-2015, 09:20   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

More Whale Tales here on CF in a recent thread on sinkings, attacks, colors of boat bottoms etc.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-150847.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote