Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2022, 14:38   #121

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Transgender and cruising?

Hey Ivy, do you have a boat? That’s how it starts, dreaming of far off places is definitely a motivator, getting there will take some time and money. Your cursing plans will change as you get more involved with sailing, you would know better about where is safe within your community.
One salient feature of the sailing cruising community around the world is they are a cheery and accepting bunch s long as you follow the local etiquette which is mainly about noise and privacy.
Old 23-11-2022, 15:38   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Queer bashing/killing is not country specific as the recent Colorado incident illustrated.
It's risky to jump to conclusions with insufficient facts
That's hardly the case.

"Defense lawyers with the Colorado State Public Defender said in court filings on Tuesday that Aldrich identifies as non-binary and prefers they/them pronouns."
Old 23-11-2022, 18:02   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's risky to jump to conclusions with insufficient facts
That's hardly the case.

"Defense lawyers with the Colorado State Public Defender said in court filings on Tuesday that Aldrich identifies as non-binary and prefers they/them pronouns."
Came as a big surprise to his dad it seems..
Is it a defense lawyer strategy.. "Can't be a hate crime.. it's a mental blip"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 24-11-2022, 03:17   #124
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Hey Ivy, do you have a boat? That’s how it starts, dreaming of far off places is definitely a motivator, getting there will take some time and money. Your cursing plans will change as you get more involved with sailing, you would know better about where is safe within your community.

One salient feature of the sailing cruising community around the world is they are a cheery and accepting bunch s long as you follow the local etiquette which is mainly about noise and privacy.

I would not agree the sailing community is as you describe. Sometimes there’s an extremely right wing conservative streak running through many cruisers. Often a function of” self made “ people.

Sailing doesn’t mean you leave your prejudicious at home sadly.
Old 24-11-2022, 03:40   #125

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would not agree the sailing community is as you describe. Sometimes there’s an extremely right wing conservative streak running through many cruisers. Often a function of” self made “ people.

Sailing doesn’t mean you leave your prejudicious at home sadly.
I do agree with the post you quoted, while there may be some very conservative right wing folks around, the majority seems to be a friendly open minded enjoyable bunch.

Nothing to do with self made, that's more a function of money and skills.

Traveling broadens and opens the minds of most people.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:15   #126

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I tend to avoid places I am hated, criminalized, murdered and abused. This covers sexual bias, anti-Americanism, racism, and religious bias.

Each time we see "American held hostage by North Korea" or "American languishes in mid-east jail" we ask ourselves: Why would anyone go there knowing what they know?

71 jurisdictions criminalize same sex activity.
15 criminalize gender identity and expression.
11 have death penalties.

I suspect they are not too picky about specifics and tend to combine them into one category and then mistreat them as such.

I threw together a quick list of countries that criminalize same sex behavior and gender mis-identification.

I think you can expect to be a second class citizen in:
Algeria
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Bangladesh
Barbados
Brunei - Gender
Cameroon
Comoros
Dominica
Egypt
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gambia - Gender
Grenada
Guinea
Guyana
Indonesia
Iran
Jamaica
Malaysia
Maldives
Kiribati
Kuwait - Gender
Liberia
Libya
Lebanon - Gender
Myanmar - Gender
Malaysia - Gender
Mauritania
Mauritius
Morocco
Oman - Gender
Nigeria - Gender
Pakistan
Palestine
Papua New Guinea
Saudi Arabia - Gender
Sri-Lanka - Gender
Tonga - Gender
UAE - Gender

I would either NOT GO to those places or not openly practice the behavior of my choice in those places.

Frankly, I try not to go where I am likely to be hated and victimized. This is sad, but I don't want to rot in jail, have my boat seized and have people say: Why did he go there KNOWING how they are?

Cruising does broaden minds...the cruisers. Assuming a policeman in Saudi Arabia, a dock worker in Tonga, a merchant in Malaysia is going to be "broadened" by contact with a foreign cruiser, is like reaching into a hole and assuming the snake inside is harmless...in rattlesnake country. Their LAWS are publicly pronounced and you are an outsider.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:23   #127
Nearly an old salt

Transgender and cruising?

You will not be hated if you don’t flaunt it. People generally leave people alone

This applies to anti America is as much As sexual politics.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:28   #128

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sepharad I have been to some of those countries on your list and never had a problem. No one ever asked my sexual orientation or gender. But I keep my mouth shut and leave my opinions at home.
I am surprised to see Malaysia on the list. It is a wonderful country, and the family and I had a great time there. The people were very friendly.
I have found all over the world most people are just trying to earn a living and get on with life.
Cheers
Old 29-11-2022, 02:31   #129
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Sepharad I have been to some of those countries on your list and never had a problem. No one ever asked my sexual orientation or gender. But I keep my mouth shut and leave my opinions at home.

I am surprised to see Malaysia on the list. It is a wonderful country, and the family and I had a great time there. The people were very friendly.

I have found all over the world most people are just trying to earn a living and get on with life.

Cheers

Yes that’s the key keep ” your western “ ideas to yourself. These people there are sick to the back teeth being lectured about their polities usually by westerners.

We are not the “ good guys”. Keep that in mind.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:47   #130

I would love to Visit Malaysia, where the penalty for alternative gender identification is "Up to 3 years in prison, fines, and mandatory counselling".

While I do not have sexual or gender issues in Malaysia, and while Malaysia has protections for non-muslims, it also has some very definite legal and moral issues with other faiths.

I assess the conditions in the individual country, assess the risk of being identified as a target and 1) keep my mouth/appearance shut, 2) limit my presence 3) avoid going at all, depending on my analysis.

I have and continue to travel in countries where I am an unwelcome minority. I do so after consideration of the conditions and their track record of behavior. I am careful what and where I display my heart on my sleeve.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:51   #131

I would love to Visit Malaysia, where the penalty for alternative gender identification is "Up to 3 years in prison, fines, and mandatory counselling".

While I do not have sexual or gender issues in Malaysia, and while Malaysia has protections for non-muslims, it also has some very definite legal and moral issues with other faiths.

I assess the conditions in the individual country, assess the risk of being identified as a target and 1) keep my mouth/appearance shut, 2) limit my presence 3) avoid going at all, depending on my analysis.

I have and continue to travel in countries where I am an unwelcome minority. I do so after consideration of the conditions and their track record of behavior. I am careful what and where I display my heart on my sleeve.
Old 29-11-2022, 05:32   #132

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Sepharad I have been to some of those countries on your list and never had a problem.

Of course you haven't. If you did, you wouldn't be posting here.

Everyone who has come back from Russia after playing basketball has said that they didn't have a problem with being unlawfully detained for the rest of their life.
Old 29-11-2022, 09:26   #133
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Everyone who has come back from Russia after playing basketball has said that they didn't have a problem with being unlawfully detained for the rest of their life.

Or gitmo !! . Loads of places around the world where u can be unlawfully detained.
Old 29-11-2022, 12:02   #134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Who was "unlawfully" detained ?
Old 29-11-2022, 13:10   #135

Boat: Volkscruiser

Jammer that is a crazy statement try and smuggle drugs into most countries you are going to be detained. Did Britney Griner think her celebrity status gave her immunity from local laws?
Which goes back to my original statement, follow the local customs and laws and most countries will never have an issue with you. It's not hard and if you like the wilder side of life I am sure it can be found. That is what is so stupid about the Britney thing, I bet she could have found a supplier once in Russia.
Cheers
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising