Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 14:24   #781

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

TALKING ABOUT A HUMAN!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:33   #782

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I am sorry you are under the illusion that all cruisers are part of one big happy family. Unfortunately there is also a very dark element present in the cruising circle that cause a great deal of problems for those of us that are responsible cruisers. And yes, I also think it has been a great thread to show true colors. Birds of a feather flock together.
Yes I get it. You believe Gil is conning the cruising community. Maybe you're right. Here's a tip for you; don't send him any money. The rest of us can make up our own minds and will help him, or not, of our own volition.

If you're right and one of our members is out $20, then we can rally up the village folk with pitch forks, torches and whatnot and storm the marina.
I myself, prefer to take people at their word.

Back to observing this train wreck from afar.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:49   #783

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy_ View Post
hello. i have been reading this forum as a lurker (off and on) for many years, all the way back to 2007 or so i think. i'd been thinking about registering (again, as i signed up years ago but don't even remember the user name i used,) as i'm getting closer to finally buying a boat.

anyway, i have to say i'm discouraged by some of the discourse on this thread. some people have harshly criticized the OP and questioned his honesty and integrity for simply even posting his predicament here, going as far as insinuating fraud. what else is this forum for if not for reaching out to fellow sailors for advice and help or even just moral support while in a difficult situation?

kudos to Gil for his measured and calm reactions to those people. it makes me hesitant to even ask any questions here or join any discussions because i don't want to be attacked or belittled for my inexperience. it's quite possible to tell hard truths, offer constructive criticism, and give advice without rude, cruel personal attacks. i'm disappointed in the conversation here and sad that this had to be my first post.

having said that it does seem the majority of people here have been very positive and gone above and beyond in their help and support. so, thank you to those unselfish people who have offered help and support to Gil. Dagny is a beautiful little boat, i really hope she is found.
A most sincere welcome, Birdy, on your first post. I am very happy you chimed in. Humans have been separating wheat from the chaff for millennia -- different technology today, same analogy. I understand your discouragement about the harsh criticisms, but don't think for a minute you won't also one day ask a "stupid to someone" question. Yet, if you don't ask, you won't learn; and if you don't learn to separate the helpful comments from the rest, then you won't benefit as fully from the truly wonderful community you have here. You also need to know when a post has run its course so you can look away like a bad wreck when it devolves, as they often all seem to do Good luck on your boat buying!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:52   #784

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

👍 Goat

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 03-01-2016, 15:01   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Ummm... did you just call me a square?
Old 03-01-2016, 15:08   #786

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
What do you mean by a dark element?
They're the ones with the red light sabers...
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:15   #787

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

No idea what a square is, but I think your attitude of supporting people in difficult situations is the right one.
Even if in doubt, better help!
Humanity is a good value.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 03-01-2016, 15:30   #788
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Thats a very nice boat. Love the colours.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 16:04   #789

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

The winds in the next week look favorable for an east coast grounding.

Here's hoping ya some good luck Gil.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 03-01-2016, 16:35   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
No idea what a square is, but I think your attitude of supporting people in difficult situations is the right one.
Even if in doubt, better help!
Humanity is a good value.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
Oops.
Sorry, my browser doesn't show the little thumbs up, just a little square box. Saw it on my phone though. Thanks.

goat
Old 03-01-2016, 17:25   #791
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hey kmac ...maybe you could tell us where you have cruised and where the "very dark element is".
Seriously? You think this teen guy would ever answer that question? Sort of rhetorical btw.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 18:14   #792

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Interesting first post, birdy.

Perhaps it's part of holiday season stress, but there have been a batch of consistently negative posters showing up over the last 3 weeks or so.

One quickly learns who they are, and you don't even have to use the ignore button; you mentally discount their opinions because of their negativity and ad hominem attacks. We all know there are some unpleasant people in the world, and it is a choice how one views them, ranging from anger through distaste, and to pity.

In the past, some have been so negative they've been banned from CF. One can also be banned for being rude. It is like old fashioned shunning.

The little triangle in the lower left of posts, will, if you click on it, let you make a complaint or other comment to the moderaters, and then they decide how to handle a situation.

All that said, for myself, I think that while it is possible Gil may get his tidy little sloop back, it went away quite a few days ago, so the drift analysis search area is far too large to practically be used to find Dagny, and the situation is effectively in Neptune's hands. Therefore, getting pictures out via SSCA and involving local yachties who then know what they're looking for, to report sightings with position report is probably the most likely way of beginning the process of re-uniting Gil and Dagny. imho Media involvement could help. It could give Gil's plight a spot in the public eye. It could also perhaps not be what Gil wants, so I think we should butt out, and if we want to "help" send a donation, and wait to see if the boat turns up in the US or in Europe.

Quite a large number of posts back, someone suggested that Gil's first post was a cry for help. I say, maybe, maybe not, perhaps more a [U]crie de coeur[U] written in grief, after he had tried and failed to find her. He's a grownup, a man of another nation, and if he wants help of a particular kind, I believe he'll find the gumption to ask. We presume too much when we offer unwanted help.

Ann
Old 03-01-2016, 18:30   #793

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

IMHO, wether kmac owns a boat, has plenty of experience etc or not is not the issue. The disputpions caused by him is possibly intentionally provocative, wants people to dislike him.
Me? Ive never walked in Macka's shoes and earlier i humbly apologised for having treated him with vitriol...He graciously accepted my apology...the mob read it...Something in this kids life have instilled in him distrust and anger and often I, ESPECIALLY I !!.. and WE as a mob retaliate, justifiable.
But, if you read the zillions of things said by the Beast you'll find the signs of a caring and compassionate person.
Mack, my Mate, I know that if you passed me on a beach, the arse out of my pants, with totally freaked dinghy....you'd help me. I suspect that you'd buy me some grub, put a shirt on my back, give me some csm and epoxy, lend me tools, roll yer sleeves up.....just like the rest of us.
Brother its true that i piss on you at times but if you we in trouble Id give my ALL to you just like the rest of us.
The purpose of this rant (******** to a couple) is to reinforce in your heart that you really do matter to this place and that I for one know that yer bark is not a proper representative of your NATURE. FWIW.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 19:15   #794

Boat: Skookum 53'

I am disappointed with some of the turns this forum has taken in the last year or so, there seems to be some folks that hell bent on turning; what I have known as a place of lively discussions from differing opinions to be explored and real insight gained, into some kind of name calling troll fest that produces a lot of heat and very little light. It puts me off from participating in the exchanges. I do not have a thin skin, but it is tiresome to read the negative stuff that some people find contentment in producing. Kudos to all the posters that have rallied to Gil's aid and have offered some great insight for him to ponder, and in some cases follow up on. I don't have a lot of experience in the Bahamas area currents and could not offer any help with regards to finding his vessel. I did learn a great deal from those who have, and I appreciate that very much. If my vessel and I were there in the time of this tragedy, I would have gladly offered to take Gil aboard and help him run down his boat, as long as it would have taken to find it. It would be an adventure for me and a great relief for him to be reunited with his baby. I can put myself in his shoes and imagine the grief he is feeling right now. I hope he can find his vessel. Those who clog up these threads with the negative vitriolic thoughts should take their stuff elsewhere, like Sailing Anarchy where they get off on the condescension and penis measuring, your input here is neither wanted nor appreciated. The man has lost everything, why on earth stand around and point out how he made mistakes. Those without sin cast the first stone. Why not help if you can, and if you can't, offer some words of solace and let it go? To those who have helped in a positive way, I say "good on you, you make this forum what attracted me to it in the first place."
Old 03-01-2016, 19:15   #795

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
IMHO, wether kmac owns a boat, has plenty of experience etc or not is not the issue. The disputpions caused by him is possibly intentionally provocative, wants people to dislike him.
Me? Ive never walked in Macka's shoes and earlier i humbly apologised for having treated him with vitriol...He graciously accepted my apology...the mob read it...Something in this kids life have instilled in him distrust and anger and often I, ESPECIALLY I !!.. and WE as a mob retaliate, justifiable.
But, if you read the zillions of things said by the Beast you'll find the signs of a caring and compassionate person.
Mack, my Mate, I know that if you passed me on a beach, the arse out of my pants, with totally freaked dinghy....you'd help me. I suspect that you'd buy me some grub, put a shirt on my back, give me some csm and epoxy, lend me tools, roll yer sleeves up.....just like the rest of us.
Brother its true that i piss on you at times but if you we in trouble Id give my ALL to you just like the rest of us.
The purpose of this rant (******** to a couple) is to reinforce in your heart that you really do matter to this place and that I for one know that yer bark is not a proper representative of your NATURE. FWIW.
Is he a kid? How did you learn that? I suppose we can safely assume that something in every angry and distrusting persons past caused him to be that way and something in every happy and kind and trusting persons past caused him to be that way, or maybe not. Maybe he just decided he wanted to be distrustful or angry or happy or trusting today just because that's the side of the bed he got up on or that's just his nature and has been since the day he was born. I don't think any of that really matters. He is what he is for whatever reasons that are his own, and we are to take him and his comments at face value rather than try to psychoanalyze his childhood based on the very limited info available as well as our VERY limited expertise in that area.

I have no idea who mac is, but based on the posts I've read here, I suspect that he'd be more likely than most to walk right on by you on your beach because, "you never know, your apparent hardship just might be a ruse designed to con him." But there I go being just as mistrusting as he is.....and in case you're interested, I had a GREAT childhood!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote