Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 12:51   #631
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Both our 2004 and 2015 Explorer charts describe the anchoring conditions around West End south of the channel on the banks exactly as I wrote them.

If he was anchored truly south of West End, near Ginn Sur Mer, then he was on the ocean side and 2.5-3nm away from WE. The charts don't show any anchorage there, although there is one review that states it is an OK spot if one needed to stop for any reason. I don't see how he could have a visual on his boat if it was way down there.

If he was on the ocean side 1nm south of WE, then two of the three AC reviews described dragging, hard ledge, coral, etc. The Explorer charts don't mention anchoring there.

If he was anchored on the ocean side like you suggest (I had assumed he was on the bank), then his boat was in deep water and in the gulf steam almost immediately upon dragging. There would have been no chance for his anchor to reset or catch anything. This may not be clear to those doing the drift analyses, since many may have assumed the boat traveled on the banks for a while before leaving into deeper waters.

My point was that the charts do contain good information about the bottom and anchoring conditions in that area. I was only responding to a previous post about that.

Mark
Going by Gil's description that he was a "mile south of the channel ... along the beach." The 7th edition (2015) Explorer Chart book (Near Bahamas) says nothing about the holding in that area (nor does it mark the area as an anchorage). Active Captain says:

3: Overall rating (average)
3: Current protection (average)
3: Holding (average)
3: Wind protection (average)
3: Wake protection (average)
3: Scenery quality (average)
1: Shopping facilities (poor)

I agree that there's a deep shelf there that would have meant the anchor would probably be unable to reset if it broke out. I mentioned that in an earlier post.

In reality, I think Gil probably anchored much closer to the channel than a mile -- at least as he pointed it out to me. Still, nothing on the charts for that area either.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:51   #632

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Tragedy Strikes.

This link contains the boat options. Hopefully a fellow cruiser might be going back.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/oneni...da-107212.html

And ah, I see, jack lines and a tether. Used the same myself

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 13:30   #633

Gil's email is gil@keskydee.com

You can use or set up a pay pal account and then use his email to send him a loan. I say loan as he has particular asked for anything that is given is a loan. This I highly respect. Mind you when I sent him I put a note saying this is a loan or gift depending on your circumstances. I hope he isn't upset by this.

By the way Gil, if you read this I was glad to hear about the offer the wonderful cat owners have offered for a short time. Could be a great thing for you both. I say both because the reward is great in so many ways for those who give. And you will be a great help making their sailing even more enjoyable. I am a great believer in that when you give with an open hand the heavens reward you many times over. When you give with an open and full heart your rewards will return in much more open and fuller way. And even not it is an act of ascension persons that shows us the elevated beings we are.

Continue your journey Gil. Continue with hope and peace and you will find good fortune. This is chapter one in your life's book as a sailor.

kind regards and happy 2016,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 13:33   #634

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Dagny's a beautiful boat. I will continue to hold out hope that you'll be reunited soon.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 15:05   #635

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

DSC setup is fairly easy on the Matrix 2150.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/?cmd=...s&DivisionID=3

Section 9.8

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 31-12-2015, 15:45   #636

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Can someone explain the DSC thing. I have a hx300 handheld. the hx2200 is 1200 miles from here.

BTW...I was the first to send him a gift ($$$) he promptly sent me a personal email, as i'm sure he did other's, No doubt his situation is sincere.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 22:14   #637

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Sorry to read about your tragedy Gill. I can not offer my support in person, being on the other side of the globe, and all the ideas I had, have been mentioned already.

Maybe an offer of hope.
Lizzie and Lodesman posted here stories that yachts do get adrift and are recovered later.
Another story here: about 15 years ago, do not remember the exact year, but do remember the day: New Year’s Eve. The owner and family anchored in Busselton (SW of West Australia) off the beach, to go ashore for a meal. On their return, the boat had gone, extensive sea searches did not find it, extensive searches by plane over next few days again: again no sighting.
The boat was eventually found ?9 months later in the Southern Ocean, 1900 Nm SW from WA, by a fishing boat: hatch was still open, anchor and chain still dangling from the bow. Two crew members were put on board and it was sailed back again to Fremantle. The boat was a Hans Christian, 33 or 38 ft one.

Yes, here in WA, the volunteer Sea Rescue Groups do generally go out and look for boats adrift, as they could be a navigation hazard.

Regarding only a couple of CF members being compassionate to donate: hmmm, like Lizzie indicated already, I am sure many would have used PM (private messages) or email.
Old 31-12-2015, 22:18   #638

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
Can someone explain the DSC thing. I have a hx300 handheld. the hx2200 is 1200 miles from here. . . .
Why don't we take DSC to a different thread? I've started one here:

DSC Basics - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:25   #639
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Tragedy Strikes.

FYI a ferry from Gran Bahama to FL is $73. May be cheaper than another night in a hotel
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:26   #640
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Linky http://www.bahamashuttleboat.com

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:59   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post

Since my electrical problem, I had wired the VHF directly to the battery, but I am pretty sure (though not 100%) I turned it off before going ashore. The MMSI number is on my site, on the contact page. The radio is a GX2200.
This might be another "too late" suggestion, but on the off-chance that Gil in fact DID leave the radio on, AND there is a solar panel somewhere on the boat so that the radio is still working, why not try to "crowd source" some DSC position requests? His VHF radio does have DSC, and according to the manual is configured to automatically respond. It's a very long shot, but here's my suggestion..

Anyone anywhere on the entire East Coast of the US with DSC, including Bermuda, Bahamas, on commercial ships, or out sailing, please try sending a position request to his MMSI number, 378112296 . Then, and this is important... blog about it, put it on Facebook, Tweet it. In short, spread the word. It's free, will give you a excuse for learning how to use your DSC capabilities, and it'll make you feel good. Call it the first Good Deed of 2016. If you are anywhere in the "projected drift path", especially if you are on the water, work for the USCG, or similar, maybe do it a few times over whatever time period makes sense, but even if you're not (like in Miami or inland somewhere), do it anyway, if for nothing else to learn how to do it.. In fact, why don't EVERYBODY try it, as a gesture of sympathy with Gil? Make 378112296 the most "pinged" MMSI number ever!
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:38   #642

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
This might be another "too late" suggestion, but on the off-chance that Gil in fact DID leave the radio on, AND there is a solar panel somewhere on the boat so that the radio is still working, why not try to "crowd source" some DSC position requests? His VHF radio does have DSC, and according to the manual is configured to automatically respond. It's a very long shot, but here's my suggestion..

Anyone anywhere on the entire East Coast of the US with DSC, including Bermuda, Bahamas, on commercial ships, or out sailing, please try sending a position request to his MMSI number, 378112296 . Then, and this is important... blog about it, put it on Facebook, Tweet it. In short, spread the word. It's free, will give you a excuse for learning how to use your DSC capabilities, and it'll make you feel good. Call it the first Good Deed of 2016. If you are anywhere in the "projected drift path", especially if you are on the water, work for the USCG, or similar, maybe do it a few times over whatever time period makes sense, but even if you're not (like in Miami or inland somewhere), do it anyway, if for nothing else to learn how to do it.. In fact, why don't EVERYBODY try it, as a gesture of sympathy with Gil? Make 378112296 the most "pinged" MMSI number ever!
I think is a very good suggestion. As mentioned it is a long shot, but a good suggestion nonetheless.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:13   #643
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hi, since you asked and it will contribute to the positive educational aspects of this thread:
I use long sweeps in quiet water. Yes a 14 gross ton boat can be moved with sweeps. In an emergency these can be tied to the winches or pushpit, but I like mounts. It takes time, and you do not go against the tide or wind (much)
I once had a Catalina 27 (more of the OP boat size) which I used sweeps to get into port almost every time as it had a old outboard that would never start. 3-4 tons is alot easier to work with. I could actually row upwind (for short distances) to get through the dogleg into the marina.
You figure you are about one third horsepower. A operating dingy with outboard is much easier, although it is harder to coordinate at first. The method outlined above is a good one I have seen used a few times.
We are sailors. We listen to the waves, wind and tide and convince them to help us. We don't and it comes back to smack us in the butt. The sweeps are a backup to a backup, but they are good for a plan c. What happened here is just a mistake by a young sailor, nothing more.

I would think a boat Dagny's size would be well suited to a Yuloh.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:32   #644
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Are we any closer to knowing precisely where his boat is, or are we still rambling on with "knowledge posturing", things like DSC? Or second guessing the situation, enjoying our own voices blabbering away about nothing important and nothing helpful, pinging useless messages that interrupt and distract those who subscribe to this thread so they can get REAL NEWS tied to the intented purpose of the thread -- returning this boat to the owner ASAP.

Side discuss in another thread and focus this drift back on the present or say nothing.

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39   #645

I think Gil needs to propose a plan whereby members can help... I am sure he will get that help in $$ or sailors or even boat(s) to search.

HE must be the driver of the search and recovery plan. Many have suggested ideas and the 20/20 hindsight discussion, although would do nothing to get his boat back have been useful in that it may prevent this from happening to others.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote