Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 03:34   #751

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I'm seeing Robert Redford Costner Gosling Blue Crab awakening ... shivering, unshaven, having slept on a deserted patch of North FL beach, computer bag for a pillow ... he opens his eyes to seaward and there in the glow of the rising sun ... his faithful boat S/V DangMe aground at low tide ... cue credits, music: Don't Worry ... Be Happy ...

Happy Sunday/Monday! Bon Chance Gil!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:42   #752

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I still think (hope) Gil's Boat will show up most probably beached along the coast like Satori did back in the day.

His boat looked strong from what I remember

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/462815299176392223/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:57   #753

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Anyone know why all the MMSI information lists the Country as British Virgin Islands? Same with Dangy.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36   #754

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Trying to sow seeds of doubt? I'd assume since Gil is French, he could not get the boat federally documented in the US and chose a flag of convenience. Matching the MMSI to the country of registry is sensible.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:48   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Trying to sow seeds of doubt? I'd assume since Gil is French, he could not get the boat federally documented in the US and chose a flag of convenience. Matching the MMSI to the country of registry is sensible.
Don't be ridiculous. It's just that he said he has lived in the US for 22 years I figured it would be US documented or Florida registered. How long can you keep a boat in Florida without registering it there? (and of course paying tax on it) Lets all try and keep an objective perspective.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:10   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Don't be ridiculous. It's just that he said he has lived in the US for 22 years I figured it would be US documented or Florida registered. How long can you keep a boat in Florida without registering it there? (and of course paying tax on it) Lets all try and keep an objective perspective.
While this is somewhat off topic. A non USA citizen can obtain a State registration. But a non Citizen can not get a Federal registration. Gil may indeed have been a legal permanent resident without ever becoming a citizen. By the way Florida only has a very small registration fee.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
While this is somewhat off topic. A non USA citizen can obtain a State registration. But a non Citizen can not get a Federal registration. Gil may indeed have been a legal permanent resident without ever becoming a citizen. By the way Florida only has a very small registration fee.
Do you know if Gil is "indeed a legal permanent resident" or are you speculating? I think you are well aware that to register a boat in Florida you have to have paid sales tax on said boat. The registration fee is very small but not the sales tax. Again, lets look at this objectively and stop spinning the facts.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:43   #758

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Again, lets look at this objectively and stop spinning the facts.
What "objectively" is the aim of this line of questioning?
I'm not sure what you found "ridiculous" in my last response to you, but there are significant differences between 'state registration' and 'federal documentation.' There are supposedly good reasons for having a small vessel on a national ships registry as opposed to registered in the state, when the vessel will be travelling internationally; I would think this would be of even greater importance where the owner is not maintaining residence in that state, or even in the US.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50   #759

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine1218 View Post
I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC in a Marina along the ICW and just tried to ping a position to gil's MMSI number... no response.

But yes, the Standard Horizon has a very intuitive DCS menu. I was able to accomplish it without a manual. At least I now know how and that this tool is available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yes, also remembers previous requests so easy to resend. No Ack this morning. Winds have been out of the N for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-01-2016, 08:57   #760

Quote:
Do you know if Gil is "indeed a legal permanent resident" or are you speculating? I think you are well aware that to register a boat in Florida you have to have paid sales tax on said boat. The registration fee is very small but not the sales tax. Again, lets look at this objectively and stop spinning the facts.
Who cares. I hope to hear good news from Gil. Not interested in the other noise.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:44   #761

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is turning into another Rebel Heart. Before long Gil will be getting death threats.
Yes...maybe a TV interview would be in store...

Quote:
Gil, the time to find your boat was the day it was lost or the next day. At this point in time the odds are not good and if it is found it will more than likely require a significant amount of money to get it back. Lounging at Old Bahama Bay Marina at others expense is not going to find your boat.
Another kind and encouraging word.

Quote:
Yes, it's a little more than a day sail but luck alone won't keep you safe.
I have been sailing since 1976...40 years. The uncountable mistakes and close calls would probably fill a book. From misjudging my slip entrance and damaging a neighbors stern to almost falling overboard at Ano Nuevo, Ca. where the great whites hand out. **** happens and I learn from it. I have also had guests on my boat who have learned hard lessons through their actions.
kmacdonald maybe you could share your portfolio of sailing adventures to qualify yourself as a proficient and safe sailor. Offshore certifications? USCG captains license, weekend sailing course? a book?...anything?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:03   #762
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The moderators went to all the trouble of doing a fantastic job cleaning up of all the garbage on this thread, and here comes the trolling again.

I'm so looking forward to real Gil news again, his finding his boat, so we can close this thread for good.

ps pressing ignore on kmacdonald
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:10   #763

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Oh come on Salty...you're going to miss all the good stuff.
Kudos to Paul for cleaning up the thread and his usual friendly diplomatic way of doing it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:12   #764

Quote:
kmacdonald maybe you could share your portfolio of sailing adventures to qualify yourself as a proficient and safe sailor. Offshore certifications? USCG captains license, weekend sailing course? a book?...anything?
MUCH better: Put him on your ignore list (as I did for the very first time here on CF) - will be peacefully quiet :-)

Regards

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15   #765
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh come on Salty...you're going to miss all the good stuff.
Kudos to Paul for cleaning up the thread and his usual friendly diplomatic way of doing it.
Respect Paul for all the hard work he has done by pressing ignore and hoping the rest of the mod-squad start throwing bolts of infraction at these newbies.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote