Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44   #766

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Yes, not that much cheaper, but I thank you for the information. While I have friends on the Florida West Coast, my family is in France, and I am leaning in that direction now. I first hoped Dagny would be found still in the Bahamas, but it is very unlikely now. My lodging expenses in France would be zero, at least for a few weeks. There is no telling how long it will take for Dagny to be spotted, if ever.

Gil.
For whatever it's worth, I believe you and feel bad about your loss. I'm a little surprised by a few other posters but their cynical judgment says much more about themselves than it says anything at all about you so I hope you aren't too discouraged and become jaded towards this forum, though I wouldn't blame you if you did. They are most likely stuck with their cynicism for life but you will soon move on from this and continue to enjoy your life. You are right that there aren't many resources available at West End compared to what we might typically find along the US east coast. If this happened somewhere in Florida, it would be a simple thing, once a search by boat (that you undertook ASAP) didn't result in success, to rent a small airplane or contact the local CAP and check out every sailboat within a 30 or 40 mile radius. But you didn't have that option because of where this happened. Hopefully your boat will sooner or later turn up with little or no damage and you will be notified and, armed with the lessons we have all learned from your unfortunate experience, can continue to enjoy her!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:11   #767

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...maybe a TV interview would be in store...

kmacdonald maybe you could share your portfolio of sailing adventures to qualify yourself as a proficient and safe sailor. Offshore certifications? USCG captains license, weekend sailing course? a book?...anything?
A keyboard and an attitude is all it takes.

Obviously this thread has brought up many topics to learn from, DSC, Sweeps, anchorages and diving the anchor ect... This is what draws me to it!

I can also envision this happening to almost anyone, simular to getting into a car crash in heavy traffic, adverse weather, mechanical failure or tire blowout! Just not much you can do.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:15   #768

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
...I can also envision this happening to almost anyone, simular to getting into a car crash in heavy traffic, adverse weather, mechanical failure or tire blowout! Just not much you can do.
You make it sound as if there is nothing anyone can do to try to avoid this happening to them, which simply isn't true.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:41   #769

I've just joined in on this thread about 30 minutes ago, read the first 5 pages and the last 5 pages and it has gone from helping a fellow sailor to slamming fellow sailors.......geesh.

Gil sounds just devastated about his situation and so would I. Probably the worst Christmas a person could endure.

I know I will be thinking about Gil until the situation either ends in the tragedy of a lost boat, or the elation of having her returned.

Good luck Gil, I know most here will be doing what ever they can to assist.

Have a Happy New Year, no matter what.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:50   #770

Boat: PSC Orion 27

^^^^it's been a great thread for us to get to know the true nature of some of our cruising family members.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:22   #771

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You make it sound as if there is nothing anyone can do to try to avoid this happening to them, which simply isn't true.
(unless your perfect) I mean't that in the context of he lost his anchor, He lost power, he tried motoring his dingy, finally anchored and held, anything can happen in a moments notice. I cant count the times i put off a passage due to wind,wave, or whatever. I just imagine this could happen to anyone! (unless your perfect)
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:36   #772

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
^^^^it's been a great thread for us to get to know the true nature of some of our cruising family members.

goat
I am sorry you are under the illusion that all cruisers are part of one big happy family. Unfortunately there is also a very dark element present in the cruising circle that cause a great deal of problems for those of us that are responsible cruisers. And yes, I also think it has been a great thread to show true colors. Birds of a feather flock together.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:45   #773

People take risks and stuff happens even when they think they acted prudently. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I think many sailors are very cautious about anchoring in the first place. Many back down to dig the anchor in. This was not possible in Gil's case because his engine wouldn't start. When he found that he had few options and decided to anchor, clear in and probably work on his engine electric problem.

Should he have even left FL with his gear etc.? Maybe maybe not. Perhaps he should have remained aboard for a few hrs to make sure the anchor was dug in... even waiting until morning trying to line up a mechanic or a tow whatever.

No point in second guessing after the horse has left the barn.

Getting the boat back is whole other problem.. and one most sailors don't even plan for... and even that would vary depending on where your boat took off from. Apparently West End is not the best location... hardly anyone around to even see and report a boat adrift it seems.

All readers should be a bit wiser and more cautious and probably re think some of the gear.

Let's hope Gil gets his boat back and it will be a lessons learn experience for all.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:46   #774

What do you mean by a dark element?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:05   #775

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Oh FFS stop the bickering.

Gil best wishes and I hope your boat is found.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:06   #776

Boat: O'Day 28

Carbon based?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:09   #777

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

SANDERO, dont you see that the dark element is intentionally starting to wind us up again. ??
You can only prevent what Paul having to do it again....BY NOT BITING.
Very sad situation here and an, at times, sad place..
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:13   #778

hello. i have been reading this forum as a lurker (off and on) for many years, all the way back to 2007 or so i think. i'd been thinking about registering (again, as i signed up years ago but don't even remember the user name i used,) as i'm getting closer to finally buying a boat.

anyway, i have to say i'm discouraged by some of the discourse on this thread. some people have harshly criticized the OP and questioned his honesty and integrity for simply even posting his predicament here, going as far as insinuating fraud. what else is this forum for if not for reaching out to fellow sailors for advice and help or even just moral support while in a difficult situation?

kudos to Gil for his measured and calm reactions to those people. it makes me hesitant to even ask any questions here or join any discussions because i don't want to be attacked or belittled for my inexperience. it's quite possible to tell hard truths, offer constructive criticism, and give advice without rude, cruel personal attacks. i'm disappointed in the conversation here and sad that this had to be my first post.

having said that it does seem the majority of people here have been very positive and gone above and beyond in their help and support. so, thank you to those unselfish people who have offered help and support to Gil. Dagny is a beautiful little boat, i really hope she is found.
birdy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:17   #779

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

No CRab, NOT carbon based. This dark element isn't mineral, its animal....possibly vegetable.
And this element will always prevail on ÇF.
Likely, from reading the good stuff many have said, this vessel is going to ge toged in on the east coast and he'll reunite poste France, which with luck wont need to happen.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:22   #780

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
What do you mean by a dark element?
I believe he was talking about my avatar

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote