Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 20:51   #1

Boat: Havsfidra 20
Tragedy Strikes.

I checked in this afternoon at West-End. Since I could not start my engine I anchored off the beach a mile South of the channel. Everything was seemingly fine, forty feet of chain and maybe fifteen of nylon rode, shallow water. Out of the customs office I checked on the boat, I could see the mast over the jetty. I had a late lunch, checked again, no problem. At six or six thirty after using my computer to get on the Internet it was time to head out to the boat on my dinghy. Dagny wasn't there! I found a guy on his boat with a radar. He could see nothing, not a blimp. Hard to spot a sailboat. Three guys on a motorboat offered to go look with me. We spent three hours looking around in the direction of the drift, nothing. I am stranded in West-End with nothing but the clothes on my back and my computer bag. They're letting me sleep in the gym tonight, no idea about tomorrow. Needless to say I am devastated, numb, incredulous.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 21:10   #2

Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Sorry to hear. You must be beside yourself. What country? Where did this happen? Did you contact the Coast Guard and Police?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 21:11   #3

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Holy fudgesticks! Do you have Paypal? i'll send some $$ to help, sorry i can't do more!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 21:30   #4

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Where are you? West End where?
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 22:21   #5

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I'm assuming that's the West End of Grand Bahama? Don't forget you are right up against the Gulf Stream there so despite the Easterly winds the boat is probably headed for Cape Canaveral. Please, please get on the radio with the Coast Guard and tell them there's a boat drifting around out there NUC. There's a radio right there in the marina office.

Good luck man. That really sucks. Please let us know how we can help. Someone want to fire up a kickstarter page?
Old 22-12-2015, 22:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I'm assuming that's the West End of Grand Bahama? Don't forget you are right up against the Gulf Stream there so despite the Easterly winds the boat is probably headed for Cape Canaveral. Please, please get on the radio with the Coast Guard and tell them there's a boat drifting around out there NUC. There's a radio right there in the marina office.

Good luck man. That really sucks. Please let us know how we can help. Someone want to fire up a kickstarter page?
I checked out his blog. On there he said he was heading for the Bahamas. I am sure he is going nuts. Reading his blog this was hi d first ocean voyage. Last month he sold up everything and all his remaining belongings are on the boat.

He set sail with $300 in his pocket and he knew he had to pay $150 for entry to the Bahamas. He does software gigs and was planning on earning money while using his laptop. Looks like he at least had that with him. He also stocked the boat with 2 months worth my of canned food.

He comes across as an adventurer type who was bitten by the sailing bug and couldn't wait to get going. While I was horrified to read that he was setting out with only $300 in the kitty I understand he is handy, is a ham operator and spent money on the right things. Even down to buying a sea anchor.

I d into think he has insurance. He mentioned he bought search and rescue insurance and was going to buy international health insurance. No mention of boat insurance.

What a miserable way to start his great adventure. Everything apart from his clothes he is wearing and his laptop are on his adrift boat.

I feel very sorry for him.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 23:20   #7

Someone may have taken your boat for a joy ride. Get the word out to the cruisers community to keep an eye out for it. Post a picture and a "please help me find my boat" message here, sailnet, ssca, waterway guide, etc. Ask people to spread the word. Someone will see it.

If you are an American, call the US embassy in Nassau. It is part of their job to help you out in your situation.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 01:05   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd imagine that the local fishermen & professional mariners would have a pretty decent idea of the direction which untethered boats tend to drift in. I can't say as the best way to approach them, but, perhaps the knowledge at least, will help.

That, & don't lose heart. My boat too, once went wandering on it's own. But was found (heading for another country), & kindly brought back home. With me out of town no less.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 04:56   #9

Thanks for the advice guys.

It isn't the kind of bot that would get stolen in my opinion, but I don't know.. Terrible indeed at the beginning of a trip. I would have accepted my own mistake causing the loss of the boat, but here I can't really think of anything I did wrong.

I am in West End Bahamas with $30 in my pocket. Had some money in the boat but just needed enough for entry fee and lunch with me. I'd take Paypal, but loans only, I don't take donations: gil@keskydee.com

The reason for little money is that I can work on my computer, which Thank God I had with me, to make money along the way.

What I am more interested in is a possible ride to Nassau in a week. I'd like to stay here a bit in case they find her.

If anyone heading to or at West-End has any beta blockers, I could use a few, my stock was on the boat.

Thank you all, I am rather numb right now and exhausted. I'd been preparing this trip for a while, put everything I had in it.

BTW I am French, but lived in the US for 22 years until I left last week. I'll try the French embassy.

Gil.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:19   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

So sorry for tour misfortune.

One would think the USCG may have a good chance of it floating up that way. Let's hope!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 05:27   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Sounds like you're handy with the computer, so for us to help out I have a few suggestions...

Make up a missing flyer type of page and post it here with pictures, description, boat name, contact info etc...

Ask locally about health clinics in the area... Your BP meds are more important than your boat... Simple beta blockers are almost free, so some poor free clinic is not likely going to go bankrupt ...

Keep posting... Keep positive...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 05:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Blog link

SV Dagny - A happy life is one in motion, which the sea provides in all directions.

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 05:40   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

be active in your search. best wishes--is a sailors worst nightmare..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 05:40   #14

Boat: 55' sloop.

Truly awful and very sorry to hear. What were the weather conditions like? What kind of anchor did you deploy? Was there much current or wind? Did she bite hard? The reason I am asking of course is that in relatively settled weather and a decent anchor and set, a drag to the horizon is pretty unlikely. One possibility is that the nylon rode parted company with the chain. There is something you can do with regard to that, which is to check the seabed in the area that you anchored. If your anchor is still there, at least you will have that part of the mystery solved. If not… then return to my questions and think hard. Check the type of bottom by diving on it… snorkelling is fine if shallow as you say. It may well have been stolen… Smuggling is only one possible reason. If not, then there are really only two ther possibilities: a drag or a rode part. A drag is, in my experience, rather less the likely of the two in the Bahamas.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 07:02   #15

Thanks everyone. Here is more information:

Hell on Little Bahama Bank. - SV Dagny

She was anchored near the beach in shallow water in the lee of the island. There was no swell, so practically no risk of chafe. I only noticed her disappearance about an hour, maybe an hour and a half of my last check. I searched in the dark with my dinghy but could of course only go so far safely. The power boat search lasted at least two hours, going into the direction of the drift.

Gil.