Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2016, 16:32   #511

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Exactly! And as in the past, if you don't have family members to economize living quarters with you'd go the "boarder" route. Then and now, you don't always have too much of a choice on who else is sharing your roof. That can cause problems. But it's still a solution towards economics and being frugal.
I think the boarder route is a much better soLuton that the housefull of roomates. Roomates can be "too many cooks in the kitchen". Lots of ego struggles and personality clashes etc.
But as a boarder you get all the benefits of communal living spaces, your own room, and instant, non-negotiable house rules. Everyone is on equal footing.

Frugal.
Old 18-10-2016, 16:47   #512
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I think the boarder route is a much better soLuton that the housefull of roomates. Roomates can be "too many cooks in the kitchen". Lots of ego struggles and personality clashes etc.
But as a boarder you get all the benefits of communal living spaces, your own room, and instant, non-negotiable house rules. Everyone is on equal footing.

Frugal.
Better for me was my 24 ft boat with $150 a month moorage. No roommates no problems. If I decide I don't like the neighbors I go on the hook for a couple weeks.
Old 18-10-2016, 17:05   #513

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Better for me was my 24 ft boat with $150 a month moorage. No roommates no problems. If I decide I don't like the neighbors I go on the hook for a couple weeks.
....And that's being a Frugal Sailor of Merit!!! Good on ya, newhaul.

Ann
Old 18-10-2016, 17:51   #514

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Before Coolaid and hostels I rented a huge house .($50 /m )Only 2 of us had jobs and the other15 just came and went from all over the world at .50 a night including coffee. My job with city garbage gave us all the furniture we could pick and choose (before recycle) I drove a Buick and a Caddie, both converts and a 650 BSA and paid for the fuel with refund of the beer bottles . Buck night at the drive in saw us in the back row with a big chesterfield strapped across the Caddie trunk .Record was 22, somebody had brought home a passel of ukcraniun sailors.Before mary jane but free love was rampant even for the frugal and was great practice for later building and sailing in style
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:09   #515
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now I really have a problem. I made an offer of $100 USD for a katadyn survivor 35 new old stock . Well they accepted my offer. Now where am I going to mount it I'm cramped as is.
Old 18-10-2016, 18:13   #516

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Now I really have a problem. I made an offer of $100 USD for a katadyn survivor 35 new old stock . Well they accepted my offer. Now where am I going to mount it I'm cramped as is.
Hell, that's simple: buy a bigger boat to house your bargain de-sal unit!

Jim
Old 18-10-2016, 18:15   #517

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
I can't argue with that!
Old 18-10-2016, 18:19   #518
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hell, that's simple: buy a bigger boat to house your bargain de-sal unit!

Jim
The hard part with that is the boat I want is a 1968 islander 30 with the raised deck.
Not easy to find one that doesn't need more work than I want to do. At a price I'm willing to pay.
Old 19-10-2016, 05:33   #519

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
At one time many families lived with multiple generations under one roof. It's an arrangement that has really only gone underground dice the end of ww2. There really is no surprise that the trend is changing towned shared living again. It makes great economic sense and gives everyone other benefits, such as shared child care, social bonding and more hands to upkeep the house.

What troubles me is the social pressure to look upon such arrangements disfavorably. Granted there maybe a few users who take mom & dad for a ride, but that's on a few not young people as a whole.

Of course modern life is more fluid than it was 80-100 years ago. It's much harder to keep multiple generation together as younger adults pursue careers. But there shouldn't be any shame for the folk who are making it work.
Yes.

Shaming follows the dominant / politically correct / way of living. Some hundred years ago when young people started hitting it on their own and never looking back they were seen as 'selfish', 'disobedient' and 'anti-christian'. In fact, it was none of the above. Economy developed and we simply adjusted to what was the most practical solution.

Now that in many places economy is slowing down, the situation may reverse and the young may be forced to live in the nest very long as compared to the generation of their parents. Expect shaming to work its usual way though: again the young will be labelled 'wrong', 'lazy', 'dependent'.

The social strata of the whole story is interesting on many levels and while some of us may jump at the idea of living with their grandparents / parents / children / etc., others will suffer. Not everybody is wired to smile all day long, hug and enjoy the noise and the chaos of living in a big family or a small commune.

I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.

Different climates / different cultures / different shaming.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:10   #520
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
The hard part with that is the boat I want is a 1968 islander 30 with the raised deck.
Not easy to find one that doesn't need more work than I want to do. At a price I'm willing to pay.
Here is a discreet add on to house your unit. No one will notice..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:16   #521
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

Shaming follows the dominant / politically correct / way of living. Some hundred years ago when young people started hitting it on their own and never looking back they were seen as 'selfish', 'disobedient' and 'anti-christian'. In fact, it was none of the above. Economy developed and we simply adjusted to what was the most practical solution.

Now that in many places economy is slowing down, the situation may reverse and the young may be forced to live in the nest very long as compared to the generation of their parents. Expect shaming to work its usual way though: again the young will be labelled 'wrong', 'lazy', 'dependent'.

The social strata of the whole story is interesting on many levels and while some of us may jump at the idea of living with their grandparents / parents / children / etc., others will suffer. Not everybody is wired to smile all day long, hug and enjoy the noise and the chaos of living in a big family or a small commune.

I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.

Different climates / different cultures / different shaming.

Cheers,
b.
Here in Sevilla Spain, I notice many families living in a house with apartments on different floors.

The one Im renting currently is 3 floors. The owners (Parents) live in the middle floor, the daughter and family live on the 1st floor and the son used to live on the 3rd floor. He moved to a different city so it is rented out now and contributes to the parents income.

Good idea.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:27   #522

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...I believe the whole thing is economy driven. But sure some cultures are more adapted / skilled than others. In Spain (where we live now) family is a paramount business. They will adapt easily to the new less brave world. In other countries this will all vary. I can only guess that the re-adaptation will / would be much more difficult for the Nordics.
The whole shift to kids staying longer with their parents, and parents coming to live with their kids, is absolutely driven by economics here in North America. The demise of the middle class means a real reduction in the economic capacities compared to previous generations following the days of the New Deal. Now that we are rapidly returning to a more feudal type of economic arrangement (one folks like Piketty depressingly suggest is more the norm), it only makes sense to reduce family housing and living expenses by living under one roof. In fact, it's a continuation of the economic adaption of families that first led to the influx of women into the workforce, then working longer hours, then going into deep debt. Reducing expenses through communal family living is yet another step down this slope.

I see no shame in this approach; perhaps a sense of bitterness that the gains of the post war era are being rapidly reversed, but no shame. But all of this does enhance the shift to more frugal living, both on land and on a boat (to swing this back to cruising). This is probably a good thing for our global societies, and for the planet in general.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:37   #523
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys are making me feel guilty for pushing my 21 yr old Son out of the house, so Mom and Dad can go cruising.
I think though, that it is healthier and an eventual fact of life.

I do concur with the idea that the average working class person has just about cashed in everything possible, and must now learn to live more frugally, although many will go down this road kicking and screaming.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:58   #524
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys are making me feel guilty for pushing my 21 yr old Son out of the house, so Mom and Dad can go cruising.
I think though, that it is healthier and an eventual fact of life.

I do concur with the idea that the average working class person has just about cashed in everything possible, and must now learn to live more frugally, although many will go down this road kicking and screaming.
No, you did the right thing. I happen to disagree with all the feel good politically correct parenting your thirty something kids type posts.

Nothing wrong with instilling some economic kick in the backside economics... just like the animal kingdom.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 11:03   #525

Boat: a sailing boat

Our "kids" are fine to have their own iPhones at 12, car keys and sex at around 16, and guns at 18.

Meanwhile, at 21 (37 / whatever) we are "pushing them out of the nest"?

C'mon. We are inconsistent in our attitudes.

A kid equipped with an iPhone and contraceptives should leave the nest NOW and let their parents have a normal life.

Look at India, look at Africa. A 15 years old is an adult person. Ready to work, love and kill.

I think the only exception could be talented young who are undertaking serious scientific studies. These should be funded by some sort of crow funding. We need someone to design future iPhones and future Bavarias.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail