Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 14:34   #76

Boat: Bavaria 38E
Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, this behavior is sometimes called trolling, and it is forbidden here by the forum rules.

As a moderator, charged with enforcing the rules, I find it awkward because by the time one realizes that the OP is gone, the damage has been done. Detecting trolling and acting in a timely fashion is one of the more difficult chores we have.

Jim
How many Mulligans do trollers get?
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:35   #77

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I've singlehanded small boats 27ft to larger boats 41ft. All I can tell you when things go wrong the smaller boats wins every time. Please think about that. There's no one else there but you when a clew let's go on a furling headsail in strong winds if you happen to have one. What happens next if singlehanded I can't relate here. Takes too much space but much blood was involved. Lucky to be here.
PS. You can't wind it in and furl it..... not for long anyway, I tried that, it runs out of furling line and then the fun starts as it opens one turn at a time the strong wind makes sure of that. This is when you need an extra hand. And it's 2am in the morning in rising seas. Dangers too leeward.
Having done this in high winds, after the first few wraps it gets much easier.
What kind of furler do you have?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:58   #78

Boat: Morgan 382

With 30,000 ocean miles in a 40' boat, and about 10,000 of those single handed. No hesitation, the 40' boat.

It really depends on the condition of each boat and how well they were prepared for offshore use. But, all else equal a 40' boat is not difficult to handle, the sails are small enough for one person to deal with, and it will be more comfortable and better motion in big seas.

In all those miles, I came across on Contessa 26. A couple in fiji that sailed there from California. They were happy and enjoying themselves, but the 26ft boat fit their budget. It wasn't comfortable or fun when squalls and storms passed them.

I saw dozens of Jeanneaus and Beneteaus. No one complained about seaworthyness, and and they were much more comfortable.
Old 14-09-2021, 15:18   #79

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Sorry to be beating a dead troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Couple of posts expressed concern over furling the genoa in strong winds and/or with blown clew. Yes, you don't want to be on the foredeck trying to bring down a big genoa to the deck in strong winds.
I've been thinking about what I would do in this situation, since our genoa is really huge. I must be missing something but I don't think this genoa on deck scenario is realistic. If the wind is so strong you can't furl the jib using the roller, then you would have already furled it and you would be flying the staysail.

So you are running the genoa, full or partially furled, in the proper wind strength that will always allow you to furl it normally. If you blow a clew then head downwind and use the furler to bring it in. The absence of attached sheets means even less pressure than in a normal furling situation. Since the wind was strong, the wrap is really tight and needs many turns - but you already have done this many times in strong winds so you had enough turns on the drum to be able to furl in this wind strength. Just be sure to recover those jib sheets before starting the engine!

Now you have the genoa furled, and to keep it from getting unwrapped by the wind you need to go forward, get your spare jib halyard (another item which you had prepared) and wrap that around the furled jib at least 10 times, then secure it tightly on deck near the forestay. Done, but safely without bringing the monster to the deck.

All sailing and perhaps single handing more than most, is done safely only with experience, preparation, practice and maintenance.

Neither of those boats is ideal for ocean cruising, but I would choose the Jeanneau 40' if that was my only alternative. Ketch-cutter is ideal rig for singlehanding and the hull construction gets good reviews, but unfortunately this Jeanneau has a spade rudder and bolt-on fin keel. The small diesel tank capacity surprised me - only 39.7 gallons. A boat this size should have a designed fuel capacity for 4 days of motoring if crossing the Pacific.

Any yes, you can stand up in the cabin!
I would have no qualms about pulling down a big genoa in the foredeck in heavy winds. I've done it on my own boat any number of times (we have no furling). You go forward staying low, and once you are at the head stay you are pretty immune from the sail flogging aft of you. You pull it down and it will go quiet very quickly (assuming you had left the halyard flaked in a manner to run out without tangling).

Once down you tie it to the lifeline or toe rail.

As to the suitability of the Jeanneau 40, its fine. The fin keel and spade rudder are fortunate, not unfortunate. At least this boat can sail out of its own way.

There is one of these boats on my dock, sailed reguarly by a professional captain. It is a sound boat, well designed if not truely inspired, and he has no complaints. Recently sailed through a 50kt squall with 5 non sailor guests on board. No issues.

The boat has 4 days worth of fuel in its 39.7 gallon fuel tank. It will probably burn .4 gal/per hour at 5 knots which is 99 hours. However, it is a fine sailing boat and would cross any ocean in the world with fuel left over, I'd guess.

As far as it's seakeeping ability, My own yacht has a roughly similar hull shape and is only slightly larger. It has a very friendly motion at sea, depending on how hard you drive it. It can be driven hard. It will, in my opinion, go any direction in any weather and do quite nicely with a small jib and a main with deep reefs. With small sails it is not hard physically. I am 75. I have no issue handling my 43' IOR sloop, a much more physical boat than the Jeanneau 40 which, in my opinion is a true Blue Water Boat.
Old 14-09-2021, 16:51   #80

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, this behavior is sometimes called trolling, and it is forbidden here by the forum rules.

As a moderator, charged with enforcing the rules, I find it awkward because by the time one realizes that the OP is gone, the damage has been done. Detecting trolling and actt redoing ing in a timely fashion is one of the more difficult chores we have.

Jim
===============================================
I do not see how you can deal with this behavior, found myself with the time to check this person history of postings,I do that if something interest me to assess the level of knowledge and also is reveling about whom that person is.
Kind of behavior, 101.
take care.
david
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 17:10   #81

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A 40 foot boat can be made to be singlehanded by the right person, no problem. I had a good old friend who is passed on now, who had a Cal 40 he sailed around here locally, engineless too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 06:58   #82

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Contessas may have enough stowage if you like eating oatmeal every breakfast for 40 days.
On the Jeanneau you might be able to have pancakes and waffles with real maple syrup, or sausage and eggs, and it might only take you three weeks. People pick what they like and can afford.
You should only speak of what you have experience in. You obviously have none in this regard. On my 22’ Falmouth cutter on a 21 day passage I ate quit well with delicious food. I happened to have a crew member who could cook anything and a small boat that could carry more than enough stores. Also, the Pardeys ate very well on their circumnavigation on a 24’ boat. Lin wrote an excellent cook book for going to sea.
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:12   #83

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Your question implies that LOA is the deciding factor for solo ocean crossing. It ain't! Both could be yes and no, depending on the sailor. Pls reformulate question if you are looking for pertinent and informative answers.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:29   #84
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

Which boat would be more comfortable when you get to your destination? Obviously you do not have experience or own either boat. After learning to sail with a crew you will get comfortable going solo on either boat, therefore, which boat do you prefer at dock or on the hook? I don’t know how but I have friends who are comfortable on small boats. Myself, I’m cramped in 36’ and happy on 48’.
Old 17-09-2021, 07:44   #85

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
If you were to cross an ocean alone, would you take a 26 ft Contessa or a 40 ft Jeanneau? Every very experienced person I ever heard of says take a small boat if crossing solo. If there is an emergency, one person will have a lot of problems with the larger boat. Especially with the two masts on the big Jeanneau. Would crossing with the Jeanneau 40 be considered stupid due to the potential dangers due to it being hard to control if a problem came up?

Take a look at that deep draft and very adequate rudder on the Contessa 26.

This guy did and Atlantic circumnavigation in A Contessa 26 and is now building a boat to do a global circumnavigation. His videos may give you some idea of what it's like. He says the Contessa rolls pretty badly but maybe there were things that could have been done differently to help combat that. Not much stowage on those boats.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...SlIKz9LnV-vvJg
Old 17-09-2021, 08:28   #86
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
My close mindedness is based upon owning 31 boats over the last 55 years, 25 years of full-time world cruising, and 28 years as a U.S. Coast Guard licensed master.
So… You have no excuse other than being too old.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:35   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I single handed a 31 footer solo for many thousands of miles. Personally I would not have felt comfortable in anything smaller, and larger would probably have had me consider taking on a crew member... 31 footer was for me perfect. Days of Deja vu...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:52   #88

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO View Post
So… You have no excuse other than being too old.
======================
nasty answer
no need, no excuse for that
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:07   #89

Disclaimer: I've single handed boats from 14 ft through to 50 ft. It's relatively easy... when everything goes right. Add in a storm, rough seas, and suddenly things become a _lot_ more difficult.

Having said that, I would choose a 40 footer over a 20-something footer for an ocean crossing. This is based on:

1. Comfort - motion in the sea is nicer on the longer boat.
2. Speed - the 40 footer is likely to be faster. On a day sail, that might not be worth much. Over the span of two to four weeks, that can add up quite a bit.
3. Storage space - not only for provisions, but for extra bits and bobs that you need when stuff breaks.

Also take into account what are you going to be doing before and after the crossing? For instance, an IMOCA is a great boat for an ocean crossing, but it's a terrible boat for afterwards bumming about the caribbean. You may spend a month doing the crossing, but then you'll be spending months? years? living at the destination on the boat, unless you plan on just doing the crossing and then selling the boat once you complete your dream trip (which is another viable plan, of course!)
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:13   #90

Having owned a Contessa, I'd take the 40 footer. The Contessa is basically a Folk Boat and a very wet ride....well heeled....... short waterline, narrow and slow.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing