Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 05:03   #16

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Smallest sailboat to cross Atlantic has left...

How does he bail water that does come in the dorados? How would he pee or poop? Does he have a Y valve?
Looks like a stunt to sell fatty meat.
Old 31-05-2023, 05:12   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
How does he bail water that does come in the dorados? How would he pee or poop? Does he have a Y valve?
Looks like a stunt to sell fatty meat.
Ha ha ha!!! Maybe the potty police shut him down. And scuttled his craft
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 05:14   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ridiculous.

yep .. absurd.
Old 31-05-2023, 06:00   #19

Boat: Allied 42 XL2

He does seem truly distraught in the video, so I think he was honestly trying to accomplish the trip. The leak must have been major as, I presume, he had some sort of bilge pump on board, but that it was not big enough.

Apparently, there have been many attempts to cross the Atlantic in very small boats. Search "small boat crosses Atlantic" to find some of the others, one is similar to this one.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 08:43   #20

Just like the people who "row" across an ocean, the idea here is to just be a bit of flotsam and ride prevailing winds and currents. The oars or sails are just minor course correcting devices.

If you look at the "races" where people row across an ocean, try putting the starting point into an ocean drift model, and watch course and speed of the predicted track. You'll see there is very little, if anything, added by the rowing.

Shades of that great sailor [sic] Donald Crowhust... Even when the original (dumb) idea wasn't intended as a scam from the beginning, sometimes people come to realize that it really is a dumb idea as they approach the ACTUAL event, but have no way of gracefully backing out. So the boat develops a "leak."
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 08:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, there is a huge difference between bobbing around in a marina for some PR demo and the Atlantic ocean.
All I can add is that if I ever found myself voluntary bobbing around on the ocean swell in tiny eggshell with barely 6" of freeboard I'd be thinkin.....wtf am I doing here and why do this for another 3months ??

To save face, I'd cause a leak, then sink the craft so that the leak would never be found and say...gave it my best shot but the ocean conspired against me...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 13:05   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The recurrent record for the shortest vessel to successfully cross is 5’4”. While this vessel is significantly shorter, I could see a very small person using it to make the intended voyage.

This vessel was built by a previous record holder. It sank because it was mishandled and dropped while being removed from the water, it did not sink underway.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 13:13   #23

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The recurrent record for the shortest vessel to successfully cross is 5’4”. While this vessel is significantly shorter, I could see a very small person using it to make the intended voyage.

This vessel was built by a previous record holder. It sank because it was mishandled and dropped while being removed from the water, it did not sink underway.
If broke free from the crane because it was filled with water, and lifting it was urgent, because it was sinking. The ingress of water was why he turned back.

Still probably mishandled, as a large pump or air bags should have been used, but probably were not immediately available.

Crossing an ocean in that boat seems akin to going over Niagara falls in a barrel. It does seem to be much more barrel-like than boat-like.
Old 31-05-2023, 13:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

I thought those orange tubes alongside were there to provide flotation ??

I knew he kept food in there as well, but ????

Just watched the video again....seems that the craft was quite bow heavy....wouldn't take but a tiny wave to swamp that thing and you would think that any potential leaking spot would have been long since addressed.

Number of other questionable design features also come to mind.

I honestly wouldn't take that thing across the marina, never mind an ocean.

All the blubbering in the other video also strikes me as odd.
Old 31-05-2023, 14:01   #25

Boat: Tayana 37

Why did he feel the need to film himself crying? I will never understand social media. I mean I get he is upset but whatever happened to providing a written statement, taking some time for composure and doing an after action report with facts and composure. I guess not even click and likes for that.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 14:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Why did he feel the need to film himself crying? I will never understand social media.
Right???? The original press release states he's a delivery captain. I hesitate to pile on, but not sure that video is good for business. Let alone sinking a boat......in harbor.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 14:16   #27

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Why did he feel the need to film himself crying? I will never understand social media. I mean I get he is upset but whatever happened to providing a written statement, taking some time for composure and doing an after action report with facts and composure. I guess not even click and likes for that.
He would not have made as much money that way. He has to cry so more people watch it. $$$
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 14:20   #28
Marine Service Provider

That is a bit more than crying to me.....blubbering comes to mind....more to this than meets the eye...
Old 01-06-2023, 03:18   #29

I mean, the guy’s put in a lot of work into the project, a lot of people have donated, a lot of companies collaborated. He’s gone through a lot and made a lot of sacrifices to get it up to this point. I can understand why this would be devastating to him, let alone having to now tell everyone that everything was for naught.

I just don’t get how this happened and why there was no plan to deal with a situation like this. It all seems so haphazard. Of course, it’s easy for me to be sitting here on my sofa judging all of the decisions that went into it whilst simultaneously knowing nothing, but I am genuinely curious.

I hope we get to hear some more in-depth detail as to what happened. It’s such a shame for this project to have ended this way.
jsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:24   #30
Marine Service Provider

Ya, for sure, the key to any successful ocean trip in a boat...any boat..is to keep the water on the outside of the hull..so this chain of events is clearly in need of some technical analysis...hopefully, we'll get to hear more.....

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat