Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2023, 04:56   #31

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Smallest sailboat to cross Atlantic has left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
He would not have made as much money that way. He has to cry so more people watch it. $$$
I watched approx. 1 second of the crying video before I couldn't take it anymore and closed it.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:06   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I watched approx. 1 second of the crying video before I couldn't take it anymore and closed it.
I never even opened it. I still have limited bandwidth. I have to work on getting an Internet connection that allows me to watch all of these crying videos and things.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:10   #33

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

^^^^^ Masochist?
Old 05-06-2023, 08:18   #34

He didn’t. The boat fell apart just a few hours after departure.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:21   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I think there is enough collective wisdom here to redesign this 1 meter LOA vessel successfully.

I have a few thoughts.

1. It must float with a freeboard of about 1 meter above the waterline even if filled with water so there is no worry about sinking.
2. It must have redundant electrical supply though two wind generators.
3. Sail controls should be autopilot with all sealed wiring hydraulics etc
4. It needs AIS, VHF, and Sat communications

There appears to be no limit on draft in this contest. If we can call it a contest. Obviously the deeper the draft the more the vessel can carry, the greater the stability etc etc.

For kicks and giggles lets imagine the draft limit is 5 meters and the vessel is 1 meter round.

This translates to 2.8 cubic meters displacement and maximum loaded weight of 2.87 metric tons.

Thoughts?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I think I made the design difficult from the get go.

I am unable to find a NEMA rated wind generator. I.E. The generator itself must survive complete immersion in seawater. There are lots of websites listing the NEMA rating of the electrical control box and cables...but I can't find a NEMA rated wind generator. Prefer NEMA 6.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:42   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Other than being a stunt....I see no other reason to even consider doing something like this..

Quite honestly...in my opinion....the guy had a profound "wtf am I doing here" reality check a short distance from shore..and....wisely....chose to end the trip...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:03   #38

Boat: Pearson 386

Is his name Bob?
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:02   #39

Boat: Hunter Legend 405

[QUOTE=pbmaise;3786045]....no limit on draft in this contest. If we can call it a contest. ..../QUOTE]

Yes, if this is a contest, it's pretty important to know the rules. No limit on draft? What about submerged length? You could design essentially a submarine with a minimal above water structure, similar to a periscope. I was in on the design of a very stable buoy for oceanic measurements. Just a really long pole with very little above the surface. It can be as stable as you like. You get out of the harbor by towing the buoy horizontally. I suppose it could be sailed if you didn't care how long it took to arrive. You could make the underwater part highly streamlined -- laminar flow shape, so hardly any drag, and lots of resistance to side slip. Instead of a sail, use a windmill apparatus that drives a prop. This is a theoretically very efficient propulsion method. People have claimed to sail downwind faster than the wind speed with this type of setup on land, and theoretically works on water. You could tap the drive system to generate electricity for an auto-helm. You could have essentially a roving self-powered (unmanned) buoy. Maybe something here for oceanographic studies.
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:03   #40

Boat: Tayana 37

[QUOTE=Rothblum;3786087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
....no limit on draft in this contest. If we can call it a contest. ..../QUOTE]

Yes, if this is a contest, it's pretty important to know the rules. No limit on draft? What about submerged length? You could design essentially a submarine with a minimal above water structure, similar to a periscope. I was in on the design of a very stable buoy for oceanic measurements. Just a really long pole with very little above the surface. It can be as stable as you like. You get out of the harbor by towing the buoy horizontally. I suppose it could be sailed if you didn't care how long it took to arrive. You could make the underwater part highly streamlined -- laminar flow shape, so hardly any drag, and lots of resistance to side slip. Instead of a sail, use a windmill apparatus that drives a prop. This is a theoretically very efficient propulsion method. People have claimed to sail downwind faster than the wind speed with this type of setup on land, and theoretically works on water. You could tap the drive system to generate electricity for an auto-helm. You could have essentially a roving self-powered (unmanned) buoy. Maybe something here for oceanographic studies.
There are no official rules just if people will accept that you complied with the spirit of the challenge/record.

It does make me wonder however how well a sailing submarine would work.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:52   #41

Boat: Hunter Legend 405

One of the very first jobs I had working for the Navy was to evaluate a proposal for a flying submarine. Tragically, the inventor's son was killed during a trial. No, the Navy did not pick up the proposal. It was so absurd that they fobbed the evaluation off to me. Not sure I even had a degree at the time.
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 13:39   #42

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Agree with what's been said already, regarding the video. Is nothing private any longer? Compose yourself and then recount what happened, to the best of your ability and also why? What I find unfathomable is that he has young children too, if memory serves me right? What was he and his more than too tolerant wife thinking?!
In contrast is this young man, Tom R, but in a 24foot boat rowing the pacific. Departed Peru and just arrived Pago Pago...https://www.tomrobinsonboats.com/the-boat...reading about the rigors of rowing, just glad I've got sails!
thnks
Dave - not the youngest sailor and not in the shortest boat, just a boat the right size.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 15:22   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
the fact that he is still alive, and the "boat" sank, is clearly evidence of divine intervention.
That's a rather unlikely hypothesis. No divine intervention occurs in a great many far more deserving cases. Seems like a pretty fickle kind of deity to me.
Old 05-06-2023, 17:22   #44

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Agree with what's been said already, regarding the video. Is nothing private any longer? Compose yourself and then recount what happened, to the best of your ability and also why? What I find unfathomable is that he has young children too, if memory serves me right? What was he and his more than too tolerant wife thinking?!
In contrast is this young man, Tom R, but in a 24foot boat rowing the pacific. Departed Peru and just arrived Pago Pago...https://www.tomrobinsonboats.com/the-boat...reading about the rigors of rowing, just glad I've got sails!
thnks
Dave - not the youngest sailor and not in the shortest boat, just a boat the right size.
There is also Aaron Carotta who is attempting/attempted to row across the Pacific. Was attempting a circumnavigation. Currently missing with a large search underway.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186285441048310

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat