Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 06:20   #1

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII
Slip fees and virus

Just curious if others are seeing their marinas close because of the virus? Mine has which means restrooms, offices, and ships store all closed with no marina staff available on the docks. But we can still get to our boats and use them. My state has not banned boating except for ramps, rafting and sandbar landing. Are others seeing marina closings and what are the implications for owners?
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:24   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Slip fees and virus

My marina is "closed" until April 27th at the moment. But in this case, closed means they're still finishing up some winter dock projects, just with reduced staffing. Office is available by phone and email only, ship's store is still closed for winter. We can still get in to work on our boats. They're planning to start launching boats April 27th. The restaurant will be staying closed until things change in NY and I'm not sure what they're planning to do with the store yet.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:47   #3

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Curious if storage or slip fees are being adjusted in favor of owners Aren't these marinas all qualifying for stimulus money in which case we owners might get a couple months break?
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:07   #4

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Curious if storage or slip fees are being adjusted in favor of owners Aren't these marinas all qualifying for stimulus money in which case we owners might get a couple months break?
No, the storage/slip fees will not be adjusted. Moorage fees are not the same as rent, even for liveaboards (which is why it is broken out for liveaboards between moorage fee, liveaboard fee, electricity, etc.)

Some small businesses will qualify for 'stimulus money,' but it's not a free-for-all handout. Small businesses basically can apply for payroll tax deferments, and loans for 6-weeks of payroll capped at $1540 per employee.

Some marinas may defer moorage/storage fees during this crisis. But, that will very likely be on a case by case basis as the income of fees will help them remain viable and operational when this passes.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

The one very popular Ga. marina got itself designated “Essential” and is open..however has raised its slip fees just recently...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:31   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Ours (Southport, NC) is closed except that fuel (self serve) is still available and there is one employee who will only talk to you through a window. All transient rentals are stopped until at least April 27th. Bathrooms, laundry, etc all closed.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:54   #7

Boat: Hunter Legend 45

In Belgium and Holland no recreational boating allowed at all, until further notice
zeilersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:04   #8

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Our marina is owned by the city. We rent our slips and have to renew each season. Slip holders were notified by mail (got mine just yesterday) that the slips will be open, but we were asked to hold off putting in for as long as possible.

They've imposed some questionable new rules - in effect as long as the stay-at-home order is in place (April 24th - right now). First, no more than 4 people on a vessel; guess if your family is larger than that, somebody has to stay home. Second, only 10 people are allowed on the dock at anyone time. Given that some of the docks hold at least 40 boats, not sure how that's supposed to work, or how it would be enforced. How is someone to know how many people are on the dock, if some are in their boats? Lastly, everyone was advised to continue "social distancing".

Our marina office will remain closed, so no bathrooms or showers. But according to the letter, we can still get fuel and pump-outs by calling the Harbor master, and setting up an appointment.

They have not said anything about refunding for lost time at this point - and I doubt they will, unless recreational boating is curtailed.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:16   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilersailor View Post
In Belgium and Holland no recreational boating allowed at all, until further notice
same in Greece. The sea/beaches are off limits till at least 21st April (ie after Greek Easter). No boating, swimming, kayaking, paddleboarding or fishing (from land or sea). Marinas all closed, although the few liveaboards don't have any choice, but no services and confined to their boats except for essential supplies under police authority. The charter/tourist season is looming, so Greece is a bit F*****d with tourism being the primary industry.
spaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:21   #10

Boat: CD25

All mooring and town slips Payments are due by April 15 in my town as usual.
To early in mass to predict what will happen as the boating season is a couple of months away for a majority of boaters.
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:46   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 235

In Ontario marinas are closed and now considered non essential . Our Marina has put the potential opening back to April 18th but that is wishful thinking since it will just be peak/post peak up here. I'm good with it, it's for the benefit of all. I'm sure marinas will have an onslaught of inquiries if boats remain on the hard for the better part of our 6 month season. All boats in our marina need to be out by Nov. 1st.
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:53   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Blaine, Washington:

We are at a marina owned by the Port Authority. No real services to cut back on (no store, restaurant, line handling, etc). The office is closed for personal visits, business by phone or net only. The bathrooms and showers are now cleaned twice a day instead of once.

We can still go out as recreational boaters and will be leaving in the next couple of days to go to Sucia Is, one of the San Juan Is. owned by the state, so no residents, no internet, no amenities at all. Just some peace and the illusion of a "vacation". It'll be interesting to see how many others we see out there.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:53   #13

Boat: CD25

Garyfdl
What state?
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:55   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Pretty much the entire north shore of Lake Ontario is closed right now with no specified opening date. Contract due dates are being pushed back at some marinas. My marina is not even allowing customers onsite.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:11   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The way I see it, marinas will take a big hit on launching fees and services. They will be loosing money, and the bail out will not make them whole. I'm loosing the use of my boat, which is an opportunity loss (in Maryland recreational boating of all types is banned through June 10). My income is down some (consulting work) and my investments are down some.

This is a global hit and we're all going to take some of it. Bailouts, done properly, preserve the basic structure of the economy, provide a path back, and leave us all hurting a little bit. Any thing more piles on debt that will cost us for years to come. There is going to be some austerity all around because productivity was lost. It's gone. Hopefully, staying at home has given us all time to consider this.

I don't expect relief from my marina and I will not ask for it.

Tags
fees