Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 07:19   #46

Re: Slip fees and virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Ours (Southport, NC) is closed except that fuel (self serve) is still available and there is one employee who will only talk to you through a window. All transient rentals are stopped until at least April 27th. Bathrooms, laundry, etc all closed.
Yesterday I talked to one of the dock hands at Beaufort City Docks (NC) and he said they are accepting boats but they are not supposed to leave the boat. There is on burger joint opened in town until 5. I hear people are going there.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:20   #47

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40DS

In the State of Michigan, USA, boating is designate “non-essential” and has yet to reopen for the 2020 season. Marinas, boat launches, fuel docks, storage yards, repair services = all CLOSED until at least May 1, 2020.
SailorPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:35   #48

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Our marina in Spain has closed all facilities (office, showers), do not allow workers on the docks or boats, have closed the gates, and only have basic marinero staff to oversee the yachts. Live-aboards may not leave their boats or walk the quays except for essential services such as going to the supermarket. Boats may leave, but not return, and no new arrivals. My understanding is that pleasure boating of any sort is banned in the Med, but I don't have that rule on hand to quote to you. We are not on the boat & don't expect to get there any time soon. I too am wondering what effect this will have on mooring fees as ours will be due soon.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:42   #49

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

There is more to think about too. Travellifts need regular certification. My Marina does this in the spring to avoid any down time during launch and haul....Can't get the lift certified this year because of the lockdown... Means even once things begin to return to normal, my marina will have to wait until they can get recertified....There goes the season. At least storage fees are lower than slip fees!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 08:25   #50

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Pump out stations are being closed and services are being curtailed because the virus has been shown to be transmissible from human wastes.
REALLY? Please show us the research / study / evidence that proves your statement the virus has been shown to be transmitted via human feces.

Otherwise, please stop with this nonsensical fear-mongering crap.

Here are the facts from CDC.
Quote:
The amount of virus released from the body (shed) in stool, how long the virus is shed, and whether the virus in stool is infectious are not known.

There has been no confirmed fecal-oral transmission of COVID-19 to date.
And here is the published and peer reviewed article by German researchers (which CDC is basing their conclusion on) that states,

Quote:
However, the researchers were unable to isolate any infectious virus from patients' stool samples. None of the blood and urine samples tested positive for the virus.
Old 13-04-2020, 08:42   #51

Our marina in SoCal is offering the same services it always has. A safe place to dock your boat, electricity, clean bathrooms and still has a restaurant but its only carry out. No rule about going out or coming back in but nobody is. No reason to adjust slip fees.
Canvas companies are still making canvas and people are maintaining their boats. Pretty much normal.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 08:45   #52

Muskegon, MI USA, City Marina. Is closed until further notice. Recreational boating is on hold for all power boats in the state, but not sailboats during the lockdown (tentatively ends 4/30/20). Slip fees will be prorated for the days they are closed and refunded for the season if they do not open for the season at all. Even though I can go sailing during the lockdown I can’t get my boat launched because the launch ramps and boatyards are all closed so hear I sit, home with most everyone else.
GL-WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 08:56   #53

Muskegon, MI USA, Municipal Marina. Is closed until further notice. Recreational boating is on hold for all power boats in the state, but not sailboats during the lockdown (tentatively ends 4/30/20) the way I read the order. For the Municipal marina, Slip fees will be prorated for the days they are closed and refunded for the season if they do not open for the season at all.

What Riparians and Boaters Need to Know
Michigan Executive Order No. 2020-42
MLSA would like to highlight some points in the most recent Executive Order titled "Temporary requirement to suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life" from Governor Gretchen Whitmer. These points may impact Riparian homeowners and boaters in Michigan through the end of April.

This language comes directly from Executive Order No. 2020-42:

7 - (a) Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as    necessary:
   (1) To engage in outdoor physical activity, consistent with remaining at      least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household.      Outdoor physical activity includes walking, hiking, running, cycling,      kayaking, canoeing, or other similar physical activity, as well as any      comparable activity for those with limited mobility.
 (b) Individuals may also travel:
   (1) To return to a home or place of residence from outside this state.
   (2) To leave this state for a home or residence elsewhere.
   (3) Between two residences in this state, through April 10, 2020. After      that date, travel between two residences is not permitted.
   (4) As required by law enforcement or a court order, including the      transportation of children pursuant to a custody agreement.
 (c) All other travel is prohibited, including all travel to vacation rentals.

12 - No one shall advertise or rent a short-term vacation property except as necessary to assist in housing a health care professional or volunteer aiding in the response to the COVID-19 crisis.
The full Executive Order can be read HERE.

This language comes directly from the FAQ section for Executive Order No. 2020-42:
Q: Does boating constitute “outdoor activity” under the new executive order?
A: Physical outdoor activity like kayaking, canoeing, and sailing is permitted under the order, but using a motorboat, a jet ski, or other similar watercraft is not. Any outdoor activity permitted under the order, including boating, must be done in a manner consistent with social distancing, and individuals should use only their own equipment to prevent the transmission of the virus through the touching of shared surfaces. Additionally, in accordance with section 2 of the order, persons not part of a single household may not boat together.
While some boating is permitted under the order, the provision of boating services or supplies does not itself constitute critical infrastructure work, and businesses and operations may not designate workers to come to work for that purpose. As needed, these businesses and operations may designate workers to leave their home for work if their in-person presence is strictly necessary to conduct the minimum basic operations listed in section 4(b) of the order. Minimum basic operations do not include serving members of the public. The order, however, does permit in-person work necessary to maintain the safety and sanitation of sites otherwise open to the public for outdoor physical activity permitted under the order. All in-person work permitted under the order must be done in accordance with the mitigation measures listed in section 10 of the order.
The full FAQ section for Executive Order No. 2020-42 can be read HERE.
***Michigan Lakes and Streams Association will keep you updated as more information is made available.***
GL-WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 09:00   #54

Boat: Sabre 34

On the West River of the Chesapeake here... Marina and restaurant closed but restrooms open. Water turn on delayed. Boating on the Bay okay as long as fishing for sustenance. So....went sailing Saturday with fishing pole and lure out behind....Actually caught a:smile 20 lb. fish!!
Old 13-04-2020, 09:29   #55

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

New Jersey

My marina is designated essential and partially open.

Most boats are still on the hard including mine. They’re not rushing to put anyone in the water. Based on the vibe I’m getting it will be May.

Water is on but the bathrooms are still locked for now.

All summer fees where due March 1st so most have already paid and as someone mentioned before there shouldn’t be a refund. These marinas have year round expenses and just like my industry (concerts) this couldn’t have come at a worse time. If you can’t afford to make the payment due to this virus that’s understandable otherwise pay your privately owned marina so they can stay in business.

My guess is by June things will feel somewhat normal at the boat and everyone will be a few weeks behind on maintenance. Other than the delay I expect to be back on the water this summer.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 10:06   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcon12000 View Post

My guess is by June things will feel somewhat normal at the boat and everyone will be a few weeks behind on maintenance. Other than the delay I expect to be back on the water this summer.
My guess is that by June it will be somewhat normal, also. People will still be spooked and practice caution which is a good thing.
The other day on the dock someone was taken aback that I wouldn't shake their hand. Things will be different.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 10:39   #57

Quote:
Pump out stations are being closed and services are being curtailed because the virus has been shown to be transmissible from human wastes.

[QUOTE=Discovery 15797;3115835]REALLY? Please show us the research / study / evidence that proves your statement the virus has been shown to be transmitted via human feces.

Otherwise, please stop with this nonsensical fear-mongering crap.

Here are the facts from CDC.

Okay, so while we are on the subject of crap and the rational fear of such. BTW: A bit of an attitude adjustment would be nice.

Reference post #38 for specific language from CDC regarding the risk of SARS.

As to closure of pump out stations, take the early and continuing example of the Harbormaster of Annapolis.

March 16th, 2020:

Harbormaster
NOTICE
Our pump-out boat service has been temporarily suspended. The safety of our employees is paramount during this COVID-19 Pandemic. SARS, a coronavirus, has been transmitted through aerosolized sewage.

City Harbormaster to Suspend Pump-Out Services
During State of Emergency
ANNAPOLIS, MD (March 18, 2020) – City of Annapolis Harbormaster Beth Bellis, in consultation with Annapolis Fire Department and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, has decided to suspend pump-out service to boaters after Saturday.

The last pump-outs will occur on Saturday, March 21, 2020. The closure will continue through the City’s declared State of Emergency for COVID-19.

It is illegal to discharge untreated waste effluent into Annapolis city waters. Below is a list of local marinas with pump-outs. Please contact them for self-service availability and hours.

Bellis said, “we are making the decision to suspend pump-out operations in the interests of staff safety and public health.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control, it is currently unclear if novel coronavirus COVID-19 can be transmitted through sewerage systems. SARS, a similar coronavirus, has been detected in untreated sewage for up to 2 to 14 days.

. . .

Maryland Department of Natural Resources:

Pumpout Locations: Annapolis Area

Due to concerns about possible transmission of the coronavirus, the Annapolis City pumpout boat is suspending service at this time.

The Harbormaster staff will offer a final day of service Saturday March 21 until further notice.

Due to the current state of emergency due to the coronavirus outbreak, pumpout stations may not be commissioned on normal spring schedules. Boaters are encouraged to use shore side restrooms as much as possible to avoid filling holding tanks. Portable toilets that can be emptied at home are another alternative. As usual, it is best to call ahead when seeking a pumpout. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Information in this guide is subject to change without notice.

And from the Baltimore Sun:

The Annapolis Harbormaster’s office announced Wednesday it is suspending its pump-out boat service starting Saturday due to concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

The city pump-out boat’s final day of service will be March 21 and will remain out of service through the rest of the city’s state of emergency, city spokeswoman Mitchelle Stephenson said.

Dumping untreated waste in Annapolis waters is illegal. And Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley and County Executive Steuart Pittman signed an application in October that would bar all boats from discharging sewage into county waters. The EPA’s decision to accept the petition is likely to come in late spring or early summer, Stephenson said.

Anne Arundel and Annapolis officials joined together Friday to sign an application that could bar all boats from discharging any type of sewage into county and city waters.

County Executive Steuart Pittman and Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley signed the application in Annapolis on Friday. The application will be sent before the Environmental Protection Agency, which has authority over establishing no-discharge zones. These are zones that prohibit the dumping of sewage from boats. Current rules allow the dumping of treated sewage or using pump-out equipment throughout the county. Dumping untreated sewage is already prohibited.

If approved, no-discharge zones would be created at the “Annapolis Harbor and all waterways that feed the Chesapeake Bay that begin in Anne Arundel County (including the Severn River, Magothy River, South River, and West/Rhode Rivers),” according to an Annapolis news release.

The signing took place at City Dock alongside other state and local officials.

“To me, this plan is common sense,” Pittman said on Twitter. “Both the County Council and the City Council passed resolutions last year stating their support of the creation of these no-discharge zones. If we want to protect the ChesapHerring Bay was established as a no-discharge zone in 2002.eake Bay, we need more efforts to reduce the pollution in our waters.”
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 10:52   #58

All Uk recreational boating locked down. No clubs marinas open. Some fuel available for commercial users.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:01   #59

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, so while we are on the subject of crap and the rational fear of such. BTW: A bit of an attitude adjustment would be nice.

Reference post #38 for specific language from CDC regarding the risk of SARS.
I am very familiar with the SARS study used by the CDC, which also did not show any cases of transmission via fecal matter, or water-borne infections.

Quoting media and political shills is not evidence.

You have failed to provide the requested scientific data/study because it simply does not exist.

Here is what does exist regarding Covid-19 specifically. This study which states,

Quote:
The researchers' work also suggests that SARS-CoV-2 replicates in the gastrointestinal tract. However, the researchers were unable to isolate any infectious virus from patients' stool samples. None of the blood and urine samples tested positive for the virus.
Published scientific studies I tend believe, but always question. The words of politicians and media I never believe and always assume they have zero knowledge about what they are talking about.

But, this is completely tangential to the question of slip fees...so I think I'll wrap it up here.
Old 13-04-2020, 11:02   #60

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Curious if storage or slip fees are being adjusted in favor of owners Aren't these marinas all qualifying for stimulus money in which case we owners might get a couple months break?

Our marina asked us not to come unless it is an emergency except for the live-aboards. I haven't seen my boat in 3 weeks but plan to go check on it this week. My slip fee was slated to increase by $70/mo on April 1st but they delayed the increase at the last minute.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees