Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 14:24   #1066

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
mike, i bought from second wind. i think it's important to actually see the sail yourself. the shipping back and forth of heavy sails because of some dissatisfaction could get expensive. the sail i bought was probably about the condition they described, but not quite what i had expected. bought it anyway because i felt i could repair/clean it myself.
Good advice, although sadly I'm no where near the actual locations. Maybe I can find something when I get down south to Toronto area.
Old 17-05-2014, 10:03   #1067

Boat: Watkins 27

I can't believe I've read this whole thread :-)

My boat is a 1978 Watkins 27 for which I paid $5,500. The W27 is not on anybody's list as a "bluewater" boat though I can't imagine why. They are stout and overbuilt where it matters. The 10' beam makes it the roomiest 27 footer I know about. The less than 4' draft gives access to gunkholes and anchorages where the deep draft fin keelers can't drag down on me :-)

All of my portholes and hatches need to be replaced.
I intend to completely rewire it.
I intend to strip out the marine head and holding tank and seal the associated holes.
I need to replace all cushions.
I'll probably replace the running rigging.
I need more ground tackle.
I have a good mainsail, genoa and 90% Yankee. Need a good storm jib.
It has a Yanmar YSM12 inboard but I'm envious of the space it and its tankage and plumbing take up. I'm thinking dinghy-as-yawl-boat is a doable idea when necessary inshore.

My Origo unpressurized alcohol stove actually works quite well for me but the fuel is ungodly expensive. I can cobble together a propane system using a Coleman type camp stove for less than $250.

My retirement income is a smidge more than $1,000/month and living frugally has already long been a habit of mine though there are sill some adjustments needed :-)
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 10:11   #1068
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPelican View Post

My boat is a 1978 Watkins 27 for which I paid $5,500. The W27 is not on anybody's list as a "bluewater" boat though I can't imagine why. They are stout and overbuilt where it matters. The 10' beam makes it the roomiest 27 footer I know about. The less than 4' draft gives access to gunkholes and anchorages where the deep draft fin keelers can't drag down on me :-)

I intend to strip out the marine head and holding tank and seal the associated holes.
It has a Yanmar YSM12 inboard but I'm envious of the space it and its tankage and plumbing take up. I'm thinking dinghy-as-yawl-boat is a doable idea when necessary inshore.

My Origo unpressurized alcohol stove actually works quite well for me but the fuel is ungodly expensive. I can cobble together a propane system using a Coleman type camp stove for less than $250.

My retirement income is a smidge more than $1,000/month and living frugally has already long been a habit of mine though there are sill some adjustments needed :-)
Good deal
Do the hatches/ports need replacing or rebedding..?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 10:57   #1069

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK, in light of DOJ's reminder, here's a frugal-cruising question:

I'm considering purchasing a used sail from a place like Bacon, Minney, or Second Wind. I'd love to hear from people who have purchased from any of the outfits. Did you find their adverts were accurate (measurements, description, rating assessment, etc.)? Were you pleased with the level of service? Any advice from those who have done this?
I bought a main from these guys last summer. The sail was rated good with a stain and except for the stain its almost new. I'm very happy.

Masthead Sailing Gear
Old 17-05-2014, 11:15   #1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Good deal
Do the hatches/ports need replacing or rebedding..?
Replacing
Old 17-05-2014, 18:10   #1071

Quote:

For what it's worth the Watkins is on my list
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 05:59   #1072

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
For what it's worth the Watkins is on my list
NOT stirring the pot here but one thing to consider is your real purpose, whether traveling or stationary living aboard. The Watkins is surely one of the largest boats available in the < 30' category. And the shallower draft is handy in many places but out in the ocean isn't one of those places.

Also, buying an older boat or any boat, the engine will be inoperable sooner or later. Not life/dream threatening if the boat can claw off that inevitable lee shore at Gale:30 but all boats are not created equally in that regard.

Seeking an able sea boat changes the parameters and there's no better time to find out what yours are then before buying.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:40   #1073

All boats are compromises. I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the W27. It won't point like a racer, but then I don't have racing in mind. It will go to windward at least as well as a full-keeler and that's good enough for me. In my opinion, the only truly serious weakness as a "bluewater" boat is its self-righting ability from a 180 degree rollover. Wide beam has its consequences.

My immediate cruising plans for the next couple of years are limited to the Gulf and Atlantic coasts of the USA. This will be a shakedown period for boat and skipper :-)
Old 18-05-2014, 18:24   #1074

Boat: csy 37

Quote:

i used to have a 27' albin vega (not as beamy as your watkins) that had a cantankerous 12hp gas inboard. pulled it out and put an outboard on the stern instead. worked fine. and where the engine used to sit i built in some water tankage and storage.

the couple who eventually bought the boat from me replaced the old kerosene stove with a coleman camp stove. then they went cruising in the bahamas. we met them there two years later. said the stove worked well; the only down side was that they had to keep hooking up the 20 pound tank each time they used the stove because they kept the tank out in the cockpit.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 18:37   #1075

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
LOL Honey at 1 liter of fuel per year per person, a whole lota folks are going to starve and your dumpster food sources will disappear as there will be no fuel to plow the fields or harvest the food or transport it to market. The food you eat, from land sources anyway, use way more then 1 liter per year to get to your dumpster.

I do agree that world current levels of consumption is not sustainable long term. But saying that 1 liter per person per year is adequate, shows a profound misunderstanding on what it takes to survive and eat on this planet. Even in 3rd world nations, unless your living in a hut on eating berrys and raw fish.
Perhaps a Sustainable Dumpster Diving thread Would be in order.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 20:43   #1076

Quote:

All in all that sounds like a good size for what you are doing.
It may be in need of all those repairs, but sound totally doable, especially if you consistantly pick away at it. Nice price too.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 02:29   #1077
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Keep the engine unless kaput - occasionally you will be very glad you did, plus upon resale the boat will have a far higher value / be a far easier sell. On which note, whilst nothing wrong with the right 27 footer the odds are strong that eventually you will get tempted by the "another couple of feet" syndrome! Possibly prompted by stumbling accross a bargain tempter......so I would caution against over investing in cash and time at the getgo, especially by trying to create a boat that is good for 40 years and the southern ocean . Easy to get carried away. Do what is needed for your intended adventures over the next couple of years - even when that involves living with less than perfect.......having a read of the refurb thread in my Sig might be of help - not all project boats start off as project boats, some just get there from initial enthusiasm!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 08:07   #1078

I will keep the engine until it is kaput. Since there are still rebuild kits available and it's a single cylinder, hand crankable, I'll probably go kaput before the diesel does :-)

My boat is ready right now, as is, for coastwise cruising. The only projects which MUST be done is replacing the portholes and hatches for water-tightness, buying a used Portabote and trucking the boat 200 miles to the sea
Old 19-05-2014, 15:26   #1079
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
no way your $500 a month is going to last looking after her,unless she is your sister......in which case can i have her phone number

ps nice job on the refit
Just saw this and literally LOL
I agree good job on the refit
Old 19-05-2014, 21:08   #1080

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
... My Origo unpressurized alcohol stove actually works quite well for me but the fuel is ungodly expensive. I can cobble together a propane system using a Coleman type camp stove for less than $250...
Keeping the neoprene cover on the burner (hafta open stove when cool to put it in place) has almost doubled my fuel "mileage". YMMV
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget