Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 18:17   #1

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Seeking Motor Vessel For a Movie Shoot

My good friend and sailing buddy works in the movie industry and is scouting for a big boat to shoot on in September.

Maybe someone has a lead for him?

See text below for more info:

Hello,

I have been tasked with locating a 125' to 200' military/expedition conversion vessel or similarly styled ship for a movie. Traditional yacht options would be great as well. The film, Testament is slated to shoot in September.

What we are looking for:

1. Military or Expedition Vessel that has been converted into a yacht (pre conversion options as well)

2. Super yacht

In Testament, the steel warship turned luxury yacht belongs to a Billionaire that made his fortunes in arms and weapons dealings.

Originally we were planning on shooting on a 153' minesweeper converted to a yacht, the Mojo, which is located in Spain but now we are concentrating our efforts finding a yacht in Florida or the Gulf Coast. Below is a link to the Mojo that we are basing our creative search on.

From minesweeper to superyacht, the story of Mojo - Refit - SuperyachtTimes.com

We are looking for a yacht that we can shoot mostly on the deck and engine room over 5-8 days (Starting Sept 8th). The shoot is primarily of the exterior, exterior decks, galley,and the engine room but may include a few additional interior shots of hallways, saloons, etc as well depending on the boats finish. We would not need to have the boat moving as we would shoot it at the dock.

Standard charter rates of $15k-$25k a day are definitely out of our price range. Since we don’t need the full crew and all the amenities of the charter, we hope to negotiate a fair rental price with you and the owner. The budget for renting the vessel is in the $5k a day range. Locating a private owner versus a charter may be our best bet for finding something within our budget.

In addition to paying a fair rental fee we can provide video content from the film and as well as put together a promotional video of the boat for the owner/brokerage to help with the sale. We can also include a credit in the movie for the owner and/or the broker.

Please contact me with any options that you may have as we are trying to lock in a boat in the next 5 days. We are open to any creative options that are available to rent as long as they are in Florida or on the Gulf Coast.

I can also email a .pdf that includes more information about the movie. It includes a synopsis, budget, schedule, bio on the director/producers and more.

Thank you for your time,

Joel Messamore

Vessel Scout

Testament
Old 25-07-2015, 19:10   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Seeking Motor Vessel For a Movie Shoot

Kind of funny and a large amount of thread drift, but I was taking a lady friend out on a first sail/date and a large motor vessel pulled up alongside just after I'd gotten the sails up. He hailed me and said he was looking for a boat like mine for a shoot on Catalina island two days later. I said no. He looked at me bewildered. This is LA, you don't turn down a photo shoot. I'm wearing ripped up shorts and nothing else. I can only imagine what he was thinking "who is this guy?" he asked me a second time incredulously. The girl thought that was pretty cool, then we had whales breaching around us, dolphins, full moon, just one of those awesome days. I didn't mention to either of them I had to be back at work 2000 miles north of there on the day of the shoot. Keep 'em wondering I always say.
Anybody else have stories of Hollyweird they'd like to share?

goat (out of the limelight)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 19:29   #3

Cool story. Thread drift welcome for more movie boat stories.
Old 25-07-2015, 19:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Talk to Byrd Commercial Diving in Miami. They're a salvage company but these days they do mostly movie work. If their ship isn't right, they probably know where to get what you want.
Old 26-07-2015, 05:32   #5

Thanks HopCar, I passed the lead along to Joel.
Old 26-07-2015, 08:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Cool story. Thread drift welcome for more movie boat stories.
Back in the mid to late nineties my boat was rented for a few days and featured in the season finale of the TV series high tide with Rick Springfield and Yannick Bisson. Turned out it was not only the season finale but the series finale. They did shoots out on the water and dock side and I got to interact with the crew the cast and everyone else it was a pretty interesting experience chillin on boats with Rick Springfield.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 08:47   #7

Years ago the HMS Rose visited my town for some kind of tall-ship thingy that was mainly schooners but whatever. I made friends with a couple crew members and invited them out for a little booze cruise.

They returned the favor by inviting me out with them the next evening when they went out on some kind of VIP cruise and I got to go aloft and set and furl the fore top. I remember being out on the end of the yard arm looking down and seeing water below me. Really awesome experience.

Anyhell, years later I am sitting in a movie theater watching "Master And Commander" thinking to myself damn that great cabin sure looks familiar, when I fact it was because I had been there once apon a time. Sort of surreal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	106022  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:24   #8

Boat: Bristol 40

Here is a perfect vessel, 53 meter ex minesweeper currently being used as a technical diving expedition vessel. The Cdt. Fourcault is based in Antwerp Belgium but could be most anywhere in Europe right now. I realize its not south florida but the vessel might be just what you need and the crew is top notch.
Cdt. Fourcault
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:28   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
My good friend and sailing buddy works in the movie industry and is scouting for a big boat to shoot on in September.

Maybe someone has a lead for him?

See text below for more info:

Hello,

I have been tasked with locating a 125' to 200' military/expedition conversion vessel or similarly styled ship for a movie. Traditional yacht options would be great as well. The film, Testament is slated to shoot in September.

What we are looking for:

1. Military or Expedition Vessel that has been converted into a yacht (pre conversion options as well)

2. Super yacht

In Testament, the steel warship turned luxury yacht belongs to a Billionaire that made his fortunes in arms and weapons dealings.

Originally we were planning on shooting on a 153' minesweeper converted to a yacht, the Mojo, which is located in Spain but now we are concentrating our efforts finding a yacht in Florida or the Gulf Coast. Below is a link to the Mojo that we are basing our creative search on.

From minesweeper to superyacht, the story of Mojo - Refit - SuperyachtTimes.com

We are looking for a yacht that we can shoot mostly on the deck and engine room over 5-8 days (Starting Sept 8th). The shoot is primarily of the exterior, exterior decks, galley,and the engine room but may include a few additional interior shots of hallways, saloons, etc as well depending on the boats finish. We would not need to have the boat moving as we would shoot it at the dock.

Standard charter rates of $15k-$25k a day are definitely out of our price range. Since we don’t need the full crew and all the amenities of the charter, we hope to negotiate a fair rental price with you and the owner. The budget for renting the vessel is in the $5k a day range. Locating a private owner versus a charter may be our best bet for finding something within our budget.

In addition to paying a fair rental fee we can provide video content from the film and as well as put together a promotional video of the boat for the owner/brokerage to help with the sale. We can also include a credit in the movie for the owner and/or the broker.

Please contact me with any options that you may have as we are trying to lock in a boat in the next 5 days. We are open to any creative options that are available to rent as long as they are in Florida or on the Gulf Coast.

I can also email a .pdf that includes more information about the movie. It includes a synopsis, budget, schedule, bio on the director/producers and more.

Thank you for your time,

Joel Messamore

Vessel Scout

Testament
Not quit the size you want but you may find an 80 PT/Air Sea Rescue conversion still afloat. Just a thought on narrowing your quest.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:22   #10

Boat: KP 46

have a 190' ex army freight ship (sistership to the boat in the movie "Mr. Roberts") that has been converted to an adventure yacht. Currently laying in Fiji. PM me if interested.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:55   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Larry Ellison has (or had) I believe a Swedish military vessel converted to a yacht in that size range. The vessels name is Ronin. It is for charter.

Motor Yacht RONIN (ex Izanami) - a Lurssen Superyacht

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 08:54   #12

Boat: Marinette Marine U.S. Navy Landing Craft conversion 50'

If you would consider a smaller vessel, I have a retired navy landing craft conversion, but 50', all steel construction including the pilothouse. About 39 tons as she sits, with twin Detroit 871 motors. I am in Fort Myers Beach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arsenal 001 (2).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	106141   Click image for larger version

Name:	arsenal 002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	106144  

Name:	arsenal 003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	106145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elixir.sideview 001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	106146  

Name:	1Anchors Aweigh.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	106147   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8257.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	106148  

Name:	100_8310.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	106149  
Jmahoney266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmahoney266 View Post
If you would consider a smaller vessel, I have a retired navy landing craft conversion, but 50', all steel construction including the pilothouse. About 39 tons as she sits, with twin Detroit 871 motors. I am in Fort Myers Beach.
Nice looking conversion. Looks like a pair of push knee are needed.
Old 27-07-2015, 11:34   #14

Boat: Marinette Marine U.S. Navy Landing Craft conversion 50'

She has some pretty good torque. 28" prop with the 871's. I'm looking forward to setting her on a beach or sandbar, nice flat bottom. Still a little "work in progress"... I haven't been able to find any other information on a landing craft conversion someone else is work/cruising with.
Jmahoney266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 13:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmahoney266 View Post
She has some pretty good torque. 28" prop with the 871's. I'm looking forward to setting her on a beach or sandbar, nice flat bottom. Still a little "work in progress"... I haven't been able to find any other information on a landing craft conversion someone else is work/cruising with.
As I said, nice looking conversion. Would make a great mule with push boat knees. Over 24ft would require a tow boat operators license.

Not something for off shore. Enjoy her.

Tags
motor, movie