Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 09:59   #121

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41
Re: Prepping?

Yep..
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:15   #122

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Silly ! EMP means cars won't run !
I'll bet an older vehicle without an ECU might run just fine. I wonder if my old Westerbeke 58 would start after an EMP... No computers in or on that beast.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:24   #123

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

How sensitive are starters and altenators to an emp?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
depends on whether they are operating at the time of an ( highly unlikely) emp.
Alternator have electronics in the regulators
Now they would be unaffected by a cme impact.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:52   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Our small boat has an old Volvo MD7A, 13 HP, with a hand crank option.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Our small boat has an old Volvo MD7A, 13 HP, with a hand crank option.
just like my md2b no electronics no problems
And that's not even counting the possibility of cme or emp stuff . These old engines are bulletproof.
Old 03-03-2018, 14:18   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
They are not really effected.

All of the studies from credible sources on the effect of EPM's that I am aware of basically indicate that absolutely nothing will happen to cars. There is a moderate risk that an EMP will cause an engine that is currently on to shut off, but in every tested case the vehicles could be immediately restarted. The most severe effects on vehicles seems to be that the clock radio will need to be restarted.

Basically the biggest risk to a car from an EMP is that the driver could have a wreck if the car turns off.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:23   #128
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Please do not include me in that sweeping statement. I don't even own a tinfoil hat.
We're Canadian. We don't do paranoia
Old 06-03-2018, 15:16   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Neither did the European Jews, pre-World War 2. I guess, that there will always be circumstances that are just too horrible for most to contemplate actually happening, that nevertheless, do end up happening.
Old 06-03-2018, 16:33   #130

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Defense subsidized by your southern neighbors ;-)

That being said prudence dictates that we ask the question. Should a natural disaster happen, let’s say, do you want to be a burden on your reasonably prepared neighbors or wait for Justin to show up?

We cruisers have a unique opportunity to prepare simply given our lifestyle AND potentially help others who have not......or not :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 21:01   #131

Boat: Island Packet 40

Could all the problems associated with being properly equiped for survival in the marine environment on doomsday be solved if I bought a submarine?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 13:27   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
...prudence dictates that we ask the question. Should a natural disaster happen, let’s say, do you want to be a burden on your reasonably prepared neighbors or wait for Justin to show up?
I'll never disagree with the notion that everyone should try to make reasonable accommodations for life's bumps, whether that's the conventional arrangements for insurance, a stockpile of food and water to last a few days, a generator and some gas, tools to effect repairs, etc
Quote:
We cruisers have a unique opportunity to prepare simply given our lifestyle AND potentially help others who have not......or not :-)
Ok, that's where it gets wierd...

Sure, we know more than average about living frugally in a small space. We can select and pack food for a week out, or even a month. We know how to tie a sixpack to our spare anchor to drop overboard for some fast cooling (latitude dependent). We have baggy, practical clothes and floppy hats, and there's usually at least one Leatherman somewhere on our person. We're handy to have around... onboard, at a campsite, and hopefully in a crisis.

But for the far-fetched "SHTF" scenarios that get kicked around? C'mon. Nothing screams target like a nice pink yachtie. Our well-equipped boats? Think of them as victim storage; our stocked cruisers will keep us plump and fresh for when we inevitably have to come ashore again.

[ok, I'm not taking this seriously. But it's hard to take people seriously when they obsess endlessly about bizarre civilization-ending events... especially when they think the answer is to just have more food and weapons than the next guy.

Real prepping is forming and maintaining the personal relationships and organizations that will come together and step up when "SHTF". For bonus points, keep track of the politicians and others who are selfish, warlike, inconsiderate, and keep them from screwing up the great things we have going for the majority of the planet. Keep the S away from the F]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 13:52   #133

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'll never disagree with the notion that everyone should try to make reasonable accommodations for life's bumps, whether that's the conventional arrangements for insurance, a stockpile of food and water to last a few days, a generator and some gas, tools to effect repairs, etc
Ok, that's where it gets wierd...

Sure, we know more than average about living frugally in a small space. We can select and pack food for a week out, or even a month. We know how to tie a sixpack to our spare anchor to drop overboard for some fast cooling (latitude dependent). We have baggy, practical clothes and floppy hats, and there's usually at least one Leatherman somewhere on our person. We're handy to have around... onboard, at a campsite, and hopefully in a crisis.

But for the far-fetched "SHTF" scenarios that get kicked around? C'mon. Nothing screams target like a nice pink yachtie. Our well-equipped boats? Think of them as victim storage; our stocked cruisers will keep us plump and fresh for when we inevitably have to come ashore again.

[ok, I'm not taking this seriously. But it's hard to take people seriously when they obsess endlessly about bizarre civilization-ending events... especially when they think the answer is to just have more food and weapons than the next guy.

Real prepping is forming and maintaining the personal relationships and organizations that will come together and step up when "SHTF". For bonus points, keep track of the politicians and others who are selfish, warlike, inconsiderate, and keep them from screwing up the great things we have going for the majority of the planet. Keep the S away from the F]
I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, generator and gun are a necessity its weird, not to have those things and all the rest. A generator for power outages summer, spring, fall or winter; guns to fend off the bad guys, that really happens, even in America. Out on the water I don't plan on being a victim either.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 15:06   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroray View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, generator and gun are a necessity its weird, not to have those things and all the rest. A generator for power outages summer, spring, fall or winter; guns to fend off the bad guys, that really happens, even in America. Out on the water I don't plan on being a victim either.
he is Canadian from Toronto so he doesn't realize that a gun is to protect from all nature of predators.
On my boat you would see an old junker not a possible source of resources so I'm safe ( besides well protected)
Old 07-03-2018, 15:50   #135

Boat: 32 contessa

Prepping isn't about doomsday or zombies thats stupid ,

For me prepping is being able to look after my family where ever i am ,, yes i have guns and food and medication , i also have Ham radio
I have been a prepare for 17 years + the fires come thru on christmas day 2001
We had 5 kids at home , we lost everything , from all ID to cars house RV Bikes everything except the yacht , but had no way to get to her as she is 40k`s away roads blocked by fire , power wires down ,

Now we have items stored under ground ,
We had no help from the fire brigade , they told us it was to dangerous to go down our road , we were lucky we all didn't die ,, next time luck will have no say , we are prepped ,,
As with guns ,,, well there was one small shed that was spared from the fire storm ,,,,, yep the power company stole all my tools that i had left , not much a spanner set and some basic hand tools ,,,,
PEOPLE WITH THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY WILL TAKE WHATS NOT THERES JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN ,,

if you haven't been there don't judge , you may get a surprise ,

NEVER AGAIN