Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 08:36   #226
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Prepping?

Not to mention ensuring that the community spirit is there to ensure that the government's "cavalry" resources are competently deployed when they are actually needed.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:25   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Perhaps... but overall, what's the better "prepping" strategy - simply amassing a store of stuff, or working with others to ensure that your community and by extension your country have the resilience and resources to manage catastrophe? Not to mention the wisdom to keep out of self-made trouble.

(Correct answer is, of course, do both)
I'm a believer in praying for the best, and preparing for the worst.

And, unfortunately, like getting cancer gave me a new appreciation for life, Katrina gave me a new appreciation for being prepared. Sometimes, just being told, isn't enough; you just have to actually experience it.

Lessons learned hard, are lessons learned best.
Old 19-03-2018, 13:05   #228
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm a believer in praying for the best, and preparing for the worst.

And, unfortunately, like getting cancer gave me a new appreciation for life, Katrina gave me a new appreciation for being prepared. Sometimes, just being told, isn't enough; you just have to actually experience it.

Lessons learned hard, are lessons learned best.
bingo you don't really know till you really experience it .
Old 19-03-2018, 13:29   #229

Boat: J/42

I grew up out in the boonies, and it is still not too unusual to go two weeks or more without power or access to external stores or even communication. (Storms, forest fires, some doofus with a backhoe...) Some self-sufficiency is built-in out here. But a lot of it is simply getting into the habit of re-filling the tanks/cupboards/woodshed when they're half empty. That is, just keep the regular inventory stocked up - not some bunker full of "emergency" stuff mouldering away in the back yard.

I did recently clean out the galley and made a fresh start, because it has been under-utilized as of late. Hmm... why do I have three vegetable steamers on board? And four boxes of Ritz, in varying stages of decay? Who knew peanut butter could form...that? Why is the Tabasco always empty? Oops.

I do like to keep the jeep and the boat stocked up and ready for instant departure, in case I actually get a few days off. Have to get out the door before the phone rings! Speaking of which...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote