Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2022, 20:56   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
New Menaces to Navigation?

The image illustrates one of the offshore areas proposed to be designated for wind farms in Bass Strait off the south eastern coast of Australia. The eastern side of this is where a number of boats were lost and fatalities occurred during the Sydney to Hobart yacht race a couple of decades ago.

There are others dotted around the Australian coast.

Will these things become a menace to yachtmen in the future?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-13 at 1.31.45 PM.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	262756  
Old 12-08-2022, 21:12   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: New Menaces to Navigation?

Too late - 162 offshore wind farms exist, 26 under construction as of 2021.

article
Old 12-08-2022, 22:04   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The image illustrates one of the offshore areas proposed to be designated for wind farms in Bass Strait off the south eastern coast of Australia. The eastern side of this is where a number of boats were lost and fatalities occurred during the Sydney to Hobart yacht race a couple of decades ago.

There are others dotted around the Australian coast.

Will these things become a menace to yachtmen in the future?
No more a menace than assorted islands and reefs have been since Noah was a deck boy.
The Bass Strait ones are said to be planned for offshore from Port Albert, in what is currently the oil patch.
Old 12-08-2022, 22:21   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

cannot say i like them but very common in eg baltic & north sea

progress towards re-newables is something we cannot stop

cheers,
Old 12-08-2022, 22:31   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Probably make the waters more safe as the project(s) will ensure nearby waters are better surveyed. Likely to be a no go buffer zone around each one similar to off shore oil and gas platforms.

Mostly they are easily seen from a considerable distance (except in fog).

Radar problems may exist see https://www.nationalacademies.org/ne...ays-new-report

The 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race storm was some distance away from this location and it would have pushed boats even further away from the proposed wind farm areas.

Storm in a teacup really.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-08-2022, 05:32   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Around here some people try to raise navigation issues to justify opposing wind farms. More often it's just a ruse. They really want to avoid spoiling their billion-dollar estates' waterfront views.

Personally, I'm confident I can avoid colliding with a windmill. And I kinda like the look of them, too. Much better than oil rigs.

Please don't feed the NIMBY's.
Old 13-08-2022, 07:38   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
New Menaces to Navigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Around here some people try to raise navigation issues to justify opposing wind farms. More often it's just a ruse. They really want to avoid spoiling their billion-dollar estates' waterfront views.

Personally, I'm confident I can avoid colliding with a windmill. And I kinda like the look of them, too. Much better than oil rigs.

Please don't feed the NIMBY's.

The 1.3 gigawatt floating wind farm project starting next year ( JV with shell ) are 36 -60 km offshore in the Celtic Sea , shouldn’t be seen from land much at all. They are based on oil rig technology, wouldn’t want to stray into this !! ( total size is 90 such units over three fields )

Name:	IMG_1660401737.164008.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	262778

Name:	IMG_1660401844.244061.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	262779
Old 13-08-2022, 10:11   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The 1.3 gigawatt floating wind farm project starting next year ( JV with shell ) are 36 -60 km offshore in the Celtic Sea , shouldn’t be seen from land much at all. They are based on oil rig technology, wouldn’t want to stray into this !! ( total size is 90 such units over three fields )
Yeah, that technology is really amazing. And of course there won't be complaints about views if the shoreside land owners can't see the offshore turbines. There may still some (probably justifiable) concerns from commercial fishermen. But as a recreational boater, I'm happy to see progress toward renewable energy, and won't complain too loudly if the wind turbines force me to alter course.
Old 13-08-2022, 16:07   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Who will be mainly affected amongst the yachting community are those who want to cross the south of the Australian continent to head north to NSW and Qld, or, of course west. It means going a little further south to stay out of the built out area, and away from the shipping lanes, and planning to cross the shipping lanes via the shortest route further east. I'd have to agree with El Pinguino that they will not be a "problem" for experienced cruising sailors who will find alternate routes to inshore destinations, even if it means (ugh!) motoring.

Ann
(Jim and I have crossed Bass Sts. 35 times, not like the racers, on Boxing Day weekend, but with waiting for weather favorable to the jaunt.)
Old 13-08-2022, 19:06   #10

From someone who spent a significant portion of their working life on offshore drill rigs I can inform you that the positioning technology utilized is far from perfect.

I also spent one winter on a floating drill rig in the area proposed and decided I never wanted to spend another. Only the harshest environment rated drill rigs, known as "gorillas", are allowed to operate in that area.

An aspect of the Sydney to Hobart disaster which may be significant is that it occurred during the first week of a January, which is pretty well mid summer and the weather is far better than in winter. Whilst it would not be prudent to make the passage in winter I would not want to be in survival mode in the dark being blown downwind through there with it populated by numerous man made obstructions.
Old 13-08-2022, 20:02   #11

I guess they can be a "menace" if you sail blindly into them without looking at a chart--but that's on YOU.

There are reasons that ocean wind farms can be argued to be a bad idea, the cost of power from them is CRAZY expensive, but to consider them a "menace" to navigation is more than a bit of a stretch. Just political posturing, IMO. Certainly no more a menace than most small islands.

I sailed across the Gulf of Mexico for the first time on a delivery a few weeks ago, and while approaching Texas oil and gas drilling and production platforms are EVERYWHERE. Much more of an issue than any wind farm I have ever seen. But they are on the chart, and you just sail around them. What's the difference?

I worry more about ocean fishing gear than wind farms.
Old 13-08-2022, 20:31   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
I guess they can be a "menace" if you sail blindly into them without looking at a chart--but that's on YOU.

There are reasons that ocean wind farms can be argued to be a bad idea, the cost of power from them is CRAZY expensive, but to consider them a "menace" to navigation is more than a bit of a stretch. Just political posturing, IMO. Certainly no more a menace than most small islands.

I sailed across the Gulf of Mexico for the first time on a delivery a few weeks ago, and while approaching Texas oil and gas drilling and production platforms are EVERYWHERE. Much more of an issue than any wind farm I have ever seen. But they are on the chart, and you just sail around them. What's the difference?

I worry more about ocean fishing gear than wind farms.
The Levelised Cost of Electrify from offshore wind is one of the more cost effective means of generating electricity. So I don’t know where you get your statement
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	80E3F91F-C542-46EE-AA91-FE9F401B538A.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	262790  
Old 13-08-2022, 21:04   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
From someone who spent a significant portion of their working life on offshore drill rigs I can inform you that the positioning technology utilized is far from perfect.

I also spent one winter on a floating drill rig in the area proposed and decided I never wanted to spend another. Only the harshest environment rated drill rigs, known as "gorillas", are allowed to operate in that area.

An aspect of the Sydney to Hobart disaster which may be significant is that it occurred during the first week of a January, which is pretty well mid summer and the weather is far better than in winter. Whilst it would not be prudent to make the passage in winter I would not want to be in survival mode in the dark being blown downwind through there with it populated by numerous man made obstructions.
So...would you be OK being in survival mode in the dark being blown downwind through there with it populated by numerous natural obstructions?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-08-2022, 00:40   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
So...would you be OK being in survival mode in the dark being blown downwind through there with it populated by numerous natural obstructions?
They plan to put these as close to the coast as they can get away with without upsetting the NIMBYS.
We are speaking about The Paddock here - that bit between Corner Inlet and Lakes Entrance.
If you are getting driven downwind through that area in survival mode your goose is already well and truly cooked before you start worrying about wind farms.
Old 14-08-2022, 01:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The Levelised Cost of Electrify from offshore wind is one of the more cost effective means of generating electricity. So I don’t know where you get your statement
A lot of us are yachties who live on our own little mobile, islanded, energy networks and have real world experience with wind and solar power and you can't fool us with a pretty little illustration. Wind energy is only cheap if you ignore what else is required to provide reliable 24/365 power.

Tags
men, navigation