Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 13:33   #16

Re: Need some honest advice from the Cruiser Community * Long Post*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe3 View Post
I've looked at cheaper and smaller Boats but my original plan was to buy something 40-45ft in reasonable shape, with a reasonable amount of comfort and spend the rest of my life sailing in circles around the Pacific. I know it's possible to do it in a 26 footer but it wouldn't be much fun IMO. It's hard for me to even imagine undertaking such a voyage in such a small boat, I've literally spent 20+ years with a 40 footer in my head and that was a compromise
I mean this to be constructive.

Have you considered that you may be asking for a situation where you will have to comprimise at every turn. It WILL be someone elses boat.
May be you comprimise now and get a smaller boat. Fix it up, turn it and get the boat that has been in your head. And all that time your the boss and your sailing.
Good luck, I will be ready to start looking for my final boat soon.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 13:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, rfe3,

If you've hung around here that long, you probably already can guess what I'll write, but I'm gonna write it anyway.

Fifty is still pretty young; people are living longer these days. But, the insistance on a 45 ft. boat is boloney. As tkeithlu pointed out, there are more people who would like to come with you than there are who want to take another aboard. I'd say, look at boats 30-36 ft. Perhaps a nice Moody 32 would suit, or an S & S 34.... The smaller you go, the easier it is to find berths; small boats keep down costs. And what really helps is good condition. That's where to put your money.

If you think you're not a skipper type, then join a service that finds positions for people who want to be crew. It isn't the specific dream you express, but it will be more doable.

Twenty years is a long time to have a dream you don't pursue--and yes, life does get in the way of plans. I don't think you're too old, but I wonder if you have the necessary perseverance as part of your character....

Anyhow, good luck with it, there's always a possibility your plan might work, but I really don't think it is very practical as is.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Yes, I've been reading your posts for years and have a lot of respect for your opinion. I know that 54 isn't so old these days and people are living longer, the caveat to that for me will probably be my Diabetes, even though I have great control over it at the moment, in time it will win and my quality of life will suffer in the future. Now and probably for the next 10 years my health is good which is why I would rather compromise my dream of having my own Boat and making the journey to making the journey on some one elses to fulfill that dream.

I think I am the Skipper type and have Skippered Charter boats many times, that would be preferable for me, Single handed was my plan for a long time. At this point I would put myself in a Crew position just to be able to do it. It's not like I haven't acted on my dream in 20 years, as I said in my first post I've been actively working towards it for 20 years. I've been to the point where I've had my Boat budget in the Bank and was actively looking at sailboats. The first time was 2004 but when the Rubber hit the Road my Wife got cold feet and convinced me to wait a few years until my Daughter was older (she was 6 at the time) and we should sink that money in a new larger home that we could sell later and easily make my 100k back. Needless to say the Real Estate crash of 2008 took care of that. It took me from 2008 until 2015 to make that money back. In 2015 I started looking at Boats again. We were living in Austria and my Daughter was planning to start University there, which would have cost me about 5k a year...not a big deal, but...she decided she wanted to go back to Switzerland with her Mom and Brother and go to University there...at a cost of over 25k per year. There was no hesitation on my part, the Engineering program was better in Switzerland than in Austria. So that's where my second 100k Boat money went, and I would do it again.

Since 2015 I've managed to scrape together another 30k or so that I could use now and for a couple of years do some actual Sailing and living a bit of my dream albiet on someone elses boat and as crew. My other option is to work another 6 or 7 years to be able to buy a boat (smaller or larger) and have a Crusing budget. I'm then playing Russian Roulette with the state of my Health at some future date. The proverberial "Bird in the Hand" comes to mind.

I do understand where you're coming from and the point you make, I'm trying to look at my options as they are today and decide what compromises I need to make to make something happen.

Thanks for your input,
Rick
rfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 14:42   #18
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Well,
It is a fairly easy thing to try, put your hat in to a few crewfinder websites and see what you get. I know many people who have traveled extensively around the south pacific on other people's boats. Some that I know have had dietary restrictions, too. They generally don't, however, get a long term commitment on a single boat, but sail the passages and do land travel (usually backpacking) at the destinations. It depends lots on how well you get on with the rest of the crew/owner. But I do know some who have stayed on the boats for the season and beyond as well. They then hop another boat to somewhere else. You will need to be more flexible with the schedule (and in general) doing it on other people's boats, but it is very doable.

Cheers, Eric
Currently Whangarei, NZ
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 15:32   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Well,
It is a fairly easy thing to try, put your hat in to a few crewfinder websites and see what you get. I know many people who have traveled extensively around the south pacific on other people's boats. Some that I know have had dietary restrictions, too. They generally don't, however, get a long term commitment on a single boat, but sail the passages and do land travel (usually backpacking) at the destinations. It depends lots on how well you get on with the rest of the crew/owner. But I do know some who have stayed on the boats for the season and beyond as well. They then hop another boat to somewhere else. You will need to be more flexible with the schedule (and in general) doing it on other people's boats, but it is very doable.

Cheers, Eric
Currently Whangarei, NZ
Agree with this post,
I think you have heaps of desirable skills. It's always a compromise crewing for the owner but you say you are limited to set yourself up. You will need to be flexible as Eric said as it's not up to you to set the schedule. You should be able to crew for someone for at least part of your dream itinerary.You get to meet some great people crewing ( & some not so great ) Get on some crew lists asap & good luck
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 19:15   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello again, rfe3,

Thank you for explaining. You're doing the right thing relative to your daughter....and I'm hoping your wife is supportive of your plan, as well. It sounds sort of like you're wanting to abandon them to their fates, but I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, too.

Use crew finder sites, and good luck with it. You've little to lose by trying, and then, if it doesn't suit you, you haven't made a huge investment.

Just as a passing thought, spent some time on some friends' boat this morning, a Herreshoff 28. They've been cruising for the past almost 5 years. They sailed from Oz to NZ to the Solomons, New Caledonia, Vanuatu in her. It is definitely not a glamour boat, which some people want, but by golly, she's a sweet little sea boat, and wouldn't cost that much. I am sure there are some hidden around various corners of the sailing world. Yes, the little boats are slow, compared to longer, more modern ones. AND affordability matters; and simplicity helps.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 18-12-2019, 23:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello again, rfe3,

Thank you for explaining. You're doing the right thing relative to your daughter....and I'm hoping your wife is supportive of your plan, as well. It sounds sort of like you're wanting to abandon them to their fates, but I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, too.

Use crew finder sites, and good luck with it. You've little to lose by trying, and then, if it doesn't suit you, you haven't made a huge investment.

No not abandoning them, My Wife has been my Ex- for about 7 years and my Daughter knows my Sailing dream (she loves to Sail also), she also knows where the money for her schooling came from, and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. I'm so very proud of her, 4th Generation Engineer in the Family and 3rd Generation Aircraft Engineer. She's 22, will finish her Masters next year and will step right into an almost 6 figure salary with a Swiss Aircraft Manufacturer. I feel I've raised her to the best of my ability and set her out into the world with a full set of tools....The majority of my work as a father is done...Now a little ME time...
Old 19-12-2019, 00:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Well,

Cheers, Eric
Currently Whangarei, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Agree with this post,
I think you have heaps of desirable skills. It's always a compromise crewing for the owner but you say you are limited to set yourself up. You will need to be flexible as Eric said as it's not up to you to set the schedule. You should be able to crew for someone for at least part of your dream itinerary.You get to meet some great people crewing ( & some not so great ) Get on some crew lists asap & good luck

I know there will be (lots of) compromises. I guess I'm hoping I'll get lucky and find someone like me but opposite, they have a Boat and a desire to see some out of the way places and a small Crusing budget that I could supplement and turn it into a Win-Win. I'll probably find a Unicorn first though....

I guess I'm just worried about going onto the Crew sites, It seems there are 2 types there, Those with a mile long sailing resume and those who have no Idea and think it would be a cheap, cool way to extend their backpacking adventure. I'm neither. I have moderate sailing experence supplemented by what I consider to be valuable crusing skills, and I know how much work a passage can be. I've spent a few days hanging over the Toerail...
Old 19-12-2019, 03:01   #23

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
I guess I'm just worried about going onto the Crew sites, It seems there are 2 types there, Those with a mile long sailing resume and those who have no Idea and think it would be a cheap, cool way to extend their backpacking adventure. I'm neither. I have moderate sailing experence supplemented by what I consider to be valuable crusing skills, and I know how much work a passage can be. I've spent a few days hanging over the Toerail...
What specifically do you worry about?

Much is in the presentation, though. I guess this is sort of like applying for a job. Write a great (honest) application that pushes enough of the right buttons without raising any red flags.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:06   #24

It all depends on where you want to cruise. For instance, you are currently in Germany and if you look at the waterways of Europe there is enough to keep you going for at least 10 years. Start with the Meckleberg Lakes near Berlin and proceed to the North of Holland or head North to Denmark Norway and Sweden and circle the Baltic. Go down Holland through to Belgium and then the wonderful historic canals of France heading down to the Canal du Midi and the Dordogne. For this, you don't need a sailing boat because of the mast issues, but a motor cruiser for under €50000 is adequate enough for this trip and would be comfortable enough to live on whilst you are in Germany.
Inland waterways are incredibly interesting and challenging. I have been doing it for 20 years and still have some places to go that I have not been to before.
If you want the USA, go around the great loop from Florida into Canada and take a few years doing it. Be in the South in the winter though!
Life gets shorter as you get older. Buy your boat in Northern Europe tomorrow, live on it and start the dream now. You can still go to work to pay the bills and you will save on accommodation costs too.
The rest of your life starts tomorrow unless procrastination is your thing.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:19   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

There’s been a recent trend lately at least what is being observed at this rather popular marina in Ga...a growing population of 30 somethings..popular called Millenials hocking them selves to the max with mortgages/loans on very expensive rather new 40ft plus Trawlers and Cats and just live aboard with very little experience in their operations and or maritime skills...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:55   #26

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

With your skills and attitude, I have no doubt you will be able to find a couple of opportunities for crewing on a bluewater passage. That is a good way to gain on-the-water experience. The problem is that crewing on someone else's boat is miles away from the experience of cruising your own boat. I am with others here who have suggested you consider a smaller and more affordable cruiser.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:15   #27

I think you have enough skills and experience for people with boats to find you "useful" as a crew. People need crew all the time, especially if the crew is willing to support himself/herself.
I think you should "just take the plunge" and see what happens. You can start from online crew lists or just show up in places where there is a high probability of meeting people looking for crew. Just walk down the dock at a marina (or at the local bar), groomed enough that people would be comfortable enough to have you aboard and make it happen.
Of course, there are places/times where/when this has a higher probability of success. For example, since you are in Germany, marinas in Croatia or Greece or Corsica or Sardinia in June/July/August are good spots. It is almost impossible that you would not score a berth on a boat to somewhere. Then, keep going boat hopping for the whole summer. Once the season is over there, move to Oz and repeat.
I did that when I was a teenager many years ago and never had a problem finding the next boat. Somebody in their 50's, as long as they look reasonably fit and non-threatening, would have even an easier time than a teenager at finding a spot as crew, I think. People assume that a 50-year old is more skilled and experienced than an 18-year old. Also, boat owners tend to be older, so they are more comfortable with people closer to their age.
If you aspire to do longer passages, then Mexico/Australia/New Zealand at the right time of year are your best bets, I think.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:27   #28

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
With your skills and attitude, I have no doubt you will be able to find a couple of opportunities for crewing on a bluewater passage. That is a good way to gain on-the-water experience. The problem is that crewing on someone else's boat is miles away from the experience of cruising your own boat. I am with others here who have suggested you consider a smaller and more affordable cruiser.
And something I should add. In my long boating career, I have owned both powerboats and sailboats - large and small. I have also crewed on other people's cruising - and racing - boats. Being aboard someone else's boat is a tricky experience. All can go well, or it can be the trip (or the afternoon) from hell. I have gotten better at avoiding bad experiences, but it is still true that some of my worst days on the water have occurred on someone else's boat. Approach such situations with some care and as much advance information as possible..
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:38   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Rick,
Sounds like you have some skills that would be useful. Why not throw together something on the crew listing and see what happens??

If you are ready now, maybe first take some shorter trips to get the hang of it, then move on to some longer ones.

Bill O.
I agree with Bill, you need to advertise and promote yourself. I believe you are in Florida, the land of boatyards. With your skills I would be searching for someone working on a boat who would appreciate some volunteer help in exchange for cruising time. If you look hard enough I would think you could find about any size/type of boat to work and cruise on.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:41   #30

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
That was my plan, to post here and some other Crew Sites but I wanted to get some feed back first from you guys as to wether or not I have enough skills to make it interesting for someone. I don't want to come across as some starry-eyed know nothing dreamer with asperations for a Pacific sailing vacation.
Sounds to me like you have more than enough experience/skills to land a ride on a blue water cruiser. I do fear however, than sooner rather than later you'll still wish you had your own boat so you can go where you want. I agree that a 40'er would be the way to go for a live aboard style blue water cruiser but it seems to me, as I'm am currently also looking at boats for sale, that you could get a very capable boat well within your budget with enough spare cash to do any upgrades you might deem necessary. KEEP LOOKING.

As an alternative, there are many boats that do the Transpac race from Long Beach to Waikiki every other year and many of these boats will be looking for crew with more than a few boats continuing west instead of bashing back home east. If you get stuck in the Ala Wai yacht harbor the Harbor Pub (just below the Chart House restaurant across from the guest docks, is the place to find a new ride west. Picking up rides this way will be an essential skill you'll need to master if you're to work your way around the Pacific.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser