Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 12:58   #31

Re: Need some honest advice from the Cruiser Community * Long Post*

If you don't want to buy your own, find an active yachtclub that sponsors beer-can races and cruise-outs. Don't expect plumb assignments right out of the chute. First criteria for owners seeking crew is personality - is the person compatible and reliable? Should be your first criteria too.

When I was based in San Francisco 15-years ago, I used to deliver boats (mostly passage capable trawlers). Typical run was ~1000nms from SoCal to OR/WA/BC to avoid CA sales tax. It's about a 7-10 day run depending on weather and boat. By far, the worst crew I ever had also had the most impressive sailing resume imaginable. A South African, he was three-quarters through a circumnavigation on a boat he built. He could fix anything but couldn't stand a watch without falling asleep and was a total slob. I dumped him in SF and picked up a replacement for the second half of the trip.

Lead with a smile and a can-do attitude. Offer to help paint a bottom to get the boat in the water. Buy a round at the bar. You'll do fine. And you'll eventually get invitations.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 13:16   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

rfe3:

Some potential skippers may be concerned about your diabetes. If your normal dietary precautions stop working on a passage, what is the backup plan?

I'm agreeing with the people who say to promote yourself, AND, at the same time, I like the idea of starting out face to face. We just pick up so much non verbal information that way. So hanging around the socializing spots before the ARC starts could get you on a boat that would have compatible people aboard.

Keep about you the awareness that there are lots of cultural differences. Just being open to seeing them can help you avoid uncomfortable circumstances.

Take a look at the contract <monte> had for crew (use the CF Custom Google Search). Be prepared for that detailed a listing of reciprocal expectations. The expectations are likely to be there any way, but just knowing in advance will help you prepare.

Ann
Old 19-12-2019, 13:35   #33

Boat: Outremer 51

Iím not trying to put you off, but your sailing resume is a bit thin and you only have basic certification. These are negatives when youíll be compared with others on crew sites. The diabetes is also a negative.

With all your other skills, if I were you I would buy a severely neglected boat, find somewhere to put it ashore and rebuild it. It seems you have the skills.

If youíre dead set on crewing then I agree with others who have suggested you find a social scene like a yacht club to find a friend to go sailing with. Are you ready to go immediately? When the opportunity comes youíll need to be ready to leave (could be for months).

Good luck.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 13:56   #34

The best advice I can give.

Don’t waste any more time dreaming about something which may never happen. Life is to short to wait for perfection.

If sailing is what you want to do. Figure out what you can afford to spend today and go get a small boat you can afford to sail now. Then go sailing.

I spent far to long dreaming and going nowhere.
Then I bought a old 24ft C&C, of the Internet for a couple of grand. which needed a lot of TLC and went sailing.
No way I could have gone round the pacific but, I did sail it all round the Pacific North West with 3 Kids a dog and a rather reluctant wife.

We had a lot of fun the only regret I should have done it sooner.

As for learning, you can do a basic course for a few hundred bucks or just by a used book from amazon.
What ever works for you.

PS, I like Norton’s. Just got myself a new Bonneville not quite the same as the old ones. Everyone tells me I will die in a ditch. So what I am having fun. Riding around here in western Canada and US for now.
Who knows I might go further.
Only regret the 30 years between bikes, there again I was doing other stuff like sailing.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:30   #35

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I don’t know where Gord is today as he is usually the forums welcoming person. Since he hasn’t already, I will be his surrogate and say welcome to the forum!
Your resume and life experience sounds very much like mine except for the world travel. I, like you, had a dream sailing from my 20’s and read everything I could get my hands on. I finally took a 2 week sailing course in St. Vincent and bought my boat, but in 13 years have only managed to explore Chesapeake Bay and sail on the outside back-and-forth to Florida.
From the sound of your resume I think you and I would make a very good sailing team and if I were to be heading out to exotic places I would certainly want you as crew!
I wish you the best of luck in your sailing future.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 19-12-2019, 15:27   #36

Wow, lots of hepful advice. Thanks. What it boils down to for me is I would much rather have my own Boat and sail single handed as well, do what I want , when I want and beholden to no one. Thats what I've been trying to acheive. The reality is it's not going to happen like I want it to, so I need to find a way to make some of it happen. I hear you when you say buy a smaller boat and fix it up, I could, I have the skills and if I was 10 years younger and in the same financial position I am now, I might. At this point in my life I have no desire to get into the possible multi-year rebuilding of a Boat. I live nowhere near the Ocean or Marinas here in Germany. I am unable to work and rebuild a Boat at the same time even if I had a place to do it. I can't spend the limited funds that I have sitting on the hard. The work that I do leaves me no time for anything else. I am nose deep in Projects from begining to end, I don't often have the time to vacation or even be sick. Projects have funding deadlines and milestones that wait for no man.

The reason I'm looking at trying to do this next year is that my current project runs until Sept. 2020. After that I am free. Normally I would start looking for another Project about May or June 2020. Most of my Projects last 2 to 3 years (had one that lasted 7). Once I'm commited, I'm comitted for the duration which means my next opportunity to try and Sail could be 2023-24 and then I'm 59....and am in the same place I am now (with probably a little more money in the bank). I've got a window where I can try and make something happen. I have enough in the bank that will allow me to Sail a couple of years, when that runs out, well....go back to work, but at least I'll have lived some of my dream. I'd rather have a slice of the Pie than miss out on the whole thing.

I really appreciate the encouragement to buy something small and or a fixer upper but I realistically don't see a way to do it.

Some have suggested Costal or Canal Crusing....Been there, done that. Other than my passage from NZ to Fiji and back all of my sail experience has been Costal...either Greece or Florida. It's just not my thing.

The reason I'm fixated on the Pacific Reigon is that it's my favorite place on Earth. I've lived, worked and visited in Fiji, Tonga, Rarotonga, New Guinea, Am. Samoa, Palau, and I loved them. I love the People, the Culture, the sounds , smells and tastes. I have even made arrangements that when I pass, my Daughter will take my Ashes to Fiji and be spread by a a family I've known there for 30 years. I Love the Region... There are so many more that I want to experience. Never been to French Polynesia, One of my favorite Belgian singers Jaques Brel is buried on Hiva Oa, always wanted to visit his grave. Easter Island..man...I read Kon Tiki and Aku-Aku when I was about 12 and it's been a dream destination for me since. Pitcairn...wow, what history buff wouldn't want to visit there...

For me it's about more than just getting a boat and sailing across the Pacific to end up in NZ or Oz at the end of the Season. It's about finding and exploring those last wild unkown places in my head....and there just happens to be no better way to do this IMO than a Sailboat...

Ann, to answer your question "Some potential skippers may be concerned about your diabetes. If your normal dietary precautions stop working on a passage, what is the backup plan?"

I'm Type 2 Diabetic, Which means I have an Insulin Resistance, my body doesn't absorb and breakdown Glucose as well as non Diabetics. Hence I limit my Carb intake so the Insulin in my body doesn't have to work as hard. If I'm forced off my Low Carb diet (which happens sometimes when I'm travelling) it just means my Glucose levels get raised. Over a short term (a few months) it's not that bad, it's long term high Glucose levels that'll get ya. Non Injecting Type 2 Diabetics (of which I am) can't have hypoglycemia (low Blood Sugar) like Type 1 and Type 2 Injecting Diabetics. If I wanted I could take a Metformin Pill twice a day as a prophylactic against higher carb intake. I don't at this point want or need to take any medications as I have non Diabetic Blood Sugar levels (HB1Ac of 5.6 from my last 3 monthly test) from my LCHF/Keto Diet. I've maintained this level (5.5-5.9) for over 3 years.

Any potential "Captain" who would take a little time and Google Type 2 Diabetes would quickly see that it's not a dangerous medical condition when properly controlled. I imagine there are more "Captains" out there with clogged arteries that are in far worse condition than I am.

thanks,
Rick
rfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 16:14   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rick, my guess would be that if someone were interested in you as crew, they might Google Type II Diabetes AFTER they'd met you. As skipper, they'll be choosing between you and someone who many have no known health problems. Imho, best to set their minds at ease beforehand.

When you write, you write like someone who is used to running some particular enterprise. Might be a good idea to ping on the team player button a bit.

Ann
Old 19-12-2019, 17:11   #38

Sorry for sounding harsh, but there's a ton of "yea but....." in your story. You're looking for an easy, safe way to go cruising and it doesn't exist for most people. Sorry you feel like you're 10-years too late in some ways, but you're 54 and that's just simply a fact. You funded your daughters college and that's great, but that's just a fact.

This isn't difficult. You have to make sacrifices or pass entirely. .
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 20:08   #39

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Lots of cruisers need a crew person or two. What are you waiting for?
Crew on a couple boats and see if someone wants long-standing crew.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:58   #40
Marine Service Provider

I'm close to purchasing my boat for a single hand trip, perhaps a circumnavigation. At least I will start with that objective in mind. I'm older, 74 years young, and am probably one year away from starting my trip. I have experience, a 100 ton captain's license and a dive master's certificate. I would consider a hand in crossing the Pacific. If you are interested in talking about it, reply to this with a way to contact you and I'll get in touch.
Old 27-12-2019, 11:40   #41

Location: NZ but boat on slow circumnavigation currently in NW Spain
Boat: Oyster 435 45ft

Itís very possible . I own an oyster 435 and so far this year I have had 7 different people sailing with me some more than once . I am sailing slowly from Europe to NZ. It works really well. Everyone contributes to expenses and does tasks that need to be done . Good company and great sailing. Figure on a budget of around 40- 60 USD a day to cover food and fuel/ dockage plus something for personal expanses and eating out . Itís a winner for everyone
capnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:04   #42

Boat: C&C 40 AC

I was just on the Go Sailing APP, someone is looking for crew from Key West to Belize and beyond, but interestingly he canít sail year round and is looking for someone to share with. Donít know him, donít know if itís a scam, but as I read your post I thought it might be a win win situation
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 18:37   #43

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Any boat will require some customization but as long as the engine and rig are in good condition, none of them will take a lot of time. You can bolt on a self steering vane in an hour or two with another couple days to update the electronics. A Sat. phone, GPS plotter, backup hand held GPS is all you need. You can spend a fortune on electronnics but a little patience and a GPS will get you anywhere. We cruised for a couple of years with a Timex watch, sextant and depth sounder and managed to get everywhere we wanted to go.

If you really think you can't go with less than a 40' boat with a gold plated bath tub think you are using the boat as an excuse not to go.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 22:10   #44

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Start sailing now.

You've wanted to single hand... so do that.

Buy a Hobie 33, a boat that has been successful in the Transpac many times. A light fast boat is easy to singlehand, and the Hobie is so much more responsive than the standard cruising boat -- a real joy to sail. Easy to power up, easy to depower. I sold mine years ago for $11,000 in very good condition.

It doesn't sound like crewing is your first choice. Do what you really want to do. You can do it now if you can decide on something less that a floating condo.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:43   #45

Boat: Catalina 27

I may need some crew match 2020 from Texas to Florida or Turks. Then doing ARC 2021.
Nigelbanks1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser