Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 08:43   #1

Need some honest advice from the Cruiser Community * Long Post*

Hi everyone,
I'm a loooong time lurker (more than 10 years), I've always planned on buying my own boat someday and sailing endless circles around the Pacific. All these years I've soaked up the Wisdom and advice here but never really wanting to get involved until I got my Boat and could put my 2 cents in as a Cruiser....Well....it's almost happened....Twice....Both times it was so close I could feel the Salt Spray on my face, and then Life jumped up and sank it's teeth into my Posterior...Oh well.

At this stage in my life (54 y.o.)I just don't have another 10-15 years to Save up for "Boat & Cruising Money" again so instead of sitting here and watching everyone on You-tube live my dream I'm hoping to do something about it. Maybe I can partially fulfill my dream of sailing circles in the Pacific minus the Boat...Hence I've finally registered for the Forum to get some honest advice from people I feel I've known for years. I'll spare you the "What kind if Boat" and "How much does it cost" questions because I've been planning this for 20+ years and read most of the posts here answering those questions many times over.

My question is: Is it possible that I can live out my dream for a few years by hitching a ride with someone else? I know...simple question right. I know there is always the possibility that this scenario could happen but before I get all excited about it and throw myself to the Wolves I'd like to get some opinions from people I know that are "living the Dream". I'll give you a run down about "Me" and what I'd like to do and you all can tell me if I'm crazy or not...So thanks in advance.

Anyway, My Name is Rick, I'm 54, 1.8m/5'11", 90kg/200lbs., pretty good Health, USA/Swiss Dual National, English is my Mother language. German, I'm very, very fluent, French, I can get by in a pinch and a smattering of Dutch/Flemish. I'm easy going, laugh a lot, and am always trying to learn something new. I'm cool as a Cucumber and level headed (Ex-Army). I don't really start firing on all 8 Cylinders until the pressure is waaaay up there. I know how to take orders as well as give them. I'm pretty adventurous, my motto is "I'll try anything once and twice if I
like it". I've lived and worked in NZ, Oz, PNG, Fiji, Thailand, SA, USA and most of Europe. I took 6 months and did the "Lap" in Oz, 16,000km on a 57 Norton Dominator 99 (THAT was an adventure...many battles with the Prince of Darkness...those that are old English bike fans will know what I mean). I am a damn good Cook and can Bake as well (Not vegetarian). If you're into that personality profile kind of thing I'm a classical ENTP-A personality.

I've spent a little over 10 years in the Aerospace and Defense industries involved in Design, R&D and Prototyping (I'm the guy that makes something out of nothing with a couple of Hammers, Screwdrivers, Needle nose Pliers, Zip Ties and an Angle grinder... ). I'm currently working as a Manufacturing Engineer in Germany. I've been involved in Projects in Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Germany, Italy and England. I'm VERY mechanical...and am great at "Seat of the Pants Engineering". I'm a Certified TIG Welder (Mild, Stainless & Alu), I can Mill, Turn, Solder and have years of experience in Composites (mainly Carbon Fiber but also some Fiberglass). I'm good with low Voltage electrics (12-48V), I'm good at diagnostics and I'm able to analyze a problem and usually fix it with what's at hand. I've been a Mechanic, Commercial Diver, PADI Dive Instructor, Restored Vintage Motorcycles, Professional Gunsmith,
Hunting Guide, Built my own Log House and probably 20 other things that I've forgotten about. Needless to say I'm pretty handy.

As for Sailing experience, Yes...some, been sailing for years...My "Uncle" in Florida was a Tall Ship Captain and had a 36 footer he kept in the Panhandle and when I was young we would often sail in the summer. It's from him I developed my love of the Sea and Sailing. As I got older and Life happened it went from 2 or 3 times a year to once every 2 or 3 years. I have done a "Blue water Crossing", In the early 90's I was living in New Zealand going to University and a mate of mine had a 42 footer and 3 of us Sailed from Picton on the South Island to Savu-Savu, Fiji and back. That's when I decided that I wanted my own Boat and Cruise the Pacific...I usually try at least every 3 years or so to Charter a boat either in Greece or Pensacola Fl., depending on which side of the Atlantic I'm vacationing on. My Daughter (who also loves Sailing) and I eventually got our ASA 104 Tickets because you couldn't charter a Boat anymore with out some kind of Certification. My Daughter has been in University the last 4 years so I haven't been on a Boat since 2015. I'd always planned after I bought my Boat to spend a season either in the Med or Carib./Gulf to get a few more miles under my belt before heading off to the Pacific. Could I use some more expereance....yeah, Do I know my way around a Boat....yeah, just not enough practical for it to be routine.

When It comes to being prepared for such a journey, that's another story...I've been preparing for this for decades...I try and keep up with the latest and greatest Boat stuff, but through years and years of reading this and other Sailing Forums and Boat Blogs and talking to other Sailors, I've got a good idea what works and doesn't work. I've sucked up every thing I can from people who have been doing it for years...The Dashews, SV Streetcar, Soggy Paws, Morgans Cloud, Delos etc...I have a mass of Guides, Logs , Waypoints, Tracks, Charts (electronic) etc...I have
extensive KAP Charts for the South Pacific that I built from SAS Planet and Sat2Chart. I have my Radio permits, Personal and Mobile Station Lic. I know how to use Open CPN and many of it's plugins, I have a Sextant and know how to use it (I started prepping for this before GPS was so widely available). I'm pretty good with Weather analysis (also started learning when there was basically Weather Fax), I have a good library of weather books, I have Weatherfax 2000 for my PC and a SW receiver for capturing weather data, I know how Sailmail/Saildocs works, I have a subscription to Predict Wind and use it as ONE of my analysis tools. I also use ZyGrib and XyGrib as analysis tools. I'm no Meterologist but I'm confident in my ability to read the weather from 200mb, 500mb, Surface and MJO Charts etc... I have an above average Medical ability from the Army and a few Paramedic Courses I took years ago in the US. In April I'm planning on refreshing this with a week long intensive Offshore Medical Course from MSOS in the UK. I have a pretty extensive Medical kit with Sutures and Staplers etc... I have a Handheld I-com Raido, Epirb, Foulies, Life Vests, Harnesses etc...I'm about to buy an Iridium Phone (found a good deal on a slightly used one). Have my own Scuba Gear (PADI Instructor for almost 30 years-no longer actively teaching). I'm a bit of a Prepper so I Have a Freeze Drying Unit and Canning Equipment (Metal Cans), so Provisioning with the things I like is no Problem.

In regards to Provisioning, this is where a (Not really) Negative point comes into play. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, I take no Medication but control my Diabetes through a Low Carb, High Fat / Ketogenic Diet and have for years. I don't eat a lot of typical Cruiser Foods (Rice, Potatoes, Noodles, etc...) with lots of Carbs. Every once in a while sure but not consistently. I still enjoy cooking all of those Carb filled delights, I just control my intake of them. I will be able to provide for my own special provisioning needs (low Carb Bread mixes, Sweeteners and such).

That's probably enough to get a general feeling of what I can bring to the table. What I'm looking for is someone with a well founded Boat, preferably a Monohull, 45 ft+, my own Cabin would be great, Someone who wants to do something other than the Milk Run. Someone who wants to spend the entire season getting to and exploring FP. I mean Galapago's, Easter, Pitcairn, Gambier's, Tuamotu's and Society Islands with a possible reprovision in Hawaii during Southern Cyclone Season. "My Plan" was spending the first season as described and setting off from Hawaii in Season 2 for the Marquesas through the Tuamoto's in a NE to SW direction on to the Austral's (Rapa Iti), Cook's, Tonga, Fiji and to Am. Samoa at the end of Season 2. If I could find someone who shared my desire for a season in FP, exploring the out of the way places and take me along would be a dream come true.

I am able to contribute to the voyage, I have enough that on a moderate budget I would be able to Cruise for 2 or 3 Seasons. I know boats are an expensive time-consuming Love affair and would be happy to do my share. I am looking for someone who is wanting to set off at the end of 2020 (so plenty of time) as I have commitments with my current Project and my Daughter will be finishing University also in the Fall of 2020.

Wow...sorry for such a long post (especially for my first one) but I couldn't expect any honest replies with out putting it all out there. What do you think? Do I bring enough to the table? Am I looking for too much? Am I dreaming?

Many thanks,
Rick
rfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 10:46   #2

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: Need some honest advice from the Cruiser Community * Long Post*

Cheers!

It sounds like you'd have a wealth of skills in fixing up something neglected and affordable. I guess this is something you have thought about a thousand times, but would there still be a chance of you finding your own boat somewhere/somehow?

You could look at this the other way around also. Instead of finding a boat for you to join, find someone to join with you in getting a boat and putting it all together.

Best wishes and the best of luck in any case. I'm rooting for you getting out there
Old 18-12-2019, 10:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome.

Last name being Keith-Lucas, and having a cousin who restores race cars in Kent, the dark knight reference is well taken. No relationship.

Yeah, either find a kindred spirit to go in with you on a boat, or get a boat and expand from there. The number of people who would like to join you on your boat is greater than the number who want you to join them on their boat.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Cheers!

It sounds like you'd have a wealth of skills in fixing up something neglected and affordable. I guess this is something you have thought about a thousand times, but would there still be a chance of you finding your own boat somewhere/somehow?

You could look at this the other way around also. Instead of finding a boat for you to join, find someone to join with you in getting a boat and putting it all together.

Best wishes and the best of luck in any case. I'm rooting for you getting out there

Yeah, I've thought about it many, many times over the years and If I was 10 years younger I might, but even a decent fixer upper is going to in reality cost 75k+ when it's all said and done. I had a Boat budget of 100k and a Crusing budget for about 3 years which would have taken me through to Oz , after that we'd just see what happened. A 100k Boat budget would have gotten me something older but in resonable shape that I could hopefully Cruise for 3 or 4 years before having to do any major work. I put that 100k into my Daughters Univ. Degree (gladly) but as I said at my age I don't have another 10+ years to save it up again. Better to tag along on someone elses Coat tails than risk never being able to do it. Thanks for commenting.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:17   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

It simply doesn't take that much to go cruising for a few years.

The guy in link number one crossed two oceans in a boat he paid $1,000 for. He's a software type with other skills as well.

The Guy in link number two has crossed the Atlantic at least (I stop watching the video at that point) on a boat he paid $4,000 for.

I paid $2,000 for my boat and have been sailing and upgrading it for 8 years now. I have put maybe another $8-$10k in it and once I replace the old rigging I'm thinking it's ready to at least sail to Bermuda and the Bahamas. (my boat is the same as the guy in link one but a few years newer and in a bit better shape)

More boats in the $4,000 - $10,000 range.
https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

Link 1: https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

Link 2:
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome.

Last name being Keith-Lucas, and having a cousin who restores race cars in Kent, the dark knight reference is well taken. No relationship.

Yeah, either find a kindred spirit to go in with you on a boat, or get a boat and expand from there. The number of people who would like to join you on your boat is greater than the number who want you to join them on their boat.

I see you're in Carrabelle, I lived in Port St. Joe and still have family in Applach. My "Uncle" used to keep his Boat in Carrabelle in the 70's and 80's.
I actually looked at a Boat at MS Dockside Marina over on Timber Island when I was home visiting in Sept. The price was right for a fixer upper but to be honest I just don't have it in me anymore to undertake such a big project, plus my work here in Germany at the moment would mean that it would be 2021 before I could even begin to do any work on it.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:31   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Rick,
Sounds like you have some skills that would be useful. Why not throw together something on the crew listing and see what happens??

If you are ready now, maybe first take some shorter trips to get the hang of it, then move on to some longer ones.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There are lots of boats on the market, and will be more whenever you are ready to take the dive. I can't recommend getting a first boat that is going to take a lot of work. It could expand to preventing your discovering the true dimensions of your dream. Aim smaller a readier at first. If you come back to look at boats here, send me a note and I'll come look with you.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It simply doesn't take that much to go cruising for a few years.

The guy in link number one crossed two oceans in a boat he paid $1,000 for. He's a software type with other skills as well.

The Guy in link number two has crossed the Atlantic at least (I stop watching the video at that point) on a boat he paid $4,000 for.

I paid $2,000 for my boat and have been sailing and upgrading it for 8 years now. I have put maybe another $8-$10k in it and once I replace the old rigging I'm thinking it's ready to at least sail to Bermuda and the Bahamas. (my boat is the same as the guy in link one but a few years newer and in a bit better shape)

More boats in the $4,000 - $10,000 range.
https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

Link 1: https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

Link 2:

I've looked at cheaper and smaller Boats but my original plan was to buy something 40-45ft in reasonable shape, with a reasonable amount of comfort and spend the rest of my life sailing in circles around the Pacific. I know it's possible to do it in a 26 footer but it wouldn't be much fun IMO. It's hard for me to even imagine undertaking such a voyage in such a small boat, I've literally spent 20+ years with a 40 footer in my head and that was a compromise
Old 18-12-2019, 11:44   #10

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Cruising life is a "Work in Progress".
The timing and money situation is NEVER perfect. Its best just to go.
Get a cheap boat for a few grand and just go. You will figure it out a long the way.
Before you know it...you will be on your third lap around the Pacific and 10 years will have gone by. You can figure it our....You can do it.
Just go. Make the first step and dont look back.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Rick,
Sounds like you have some skills that would be useful. Why not throw together something on the crew listing and see what happens??

If you are ready now, maybe first take some shorter trips to get the hang of it, then move on to some longer ones.

Bill O.

That was my plan, to post here and some other Crew Sites but I wanted to get some feed back first from you guys as to wether or not I have enough skills to make it interesting for someone. I don't want to come across as some starry-eyed know nothing dreamer with asperations for a Pacific sailing vacation.
Old 18-12-2019, 11:57   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe3 View Post
I've looked at cheaper and smaller Boats but my original plan was to buy something 40-45ft in reasonable shape, with a reasonable amount of comfort and spend the rest of my life sailing in circles around the Pacific. I know it's possible to do it in a 26 footer but it wouldn't be much fun IMO. It's hard for me to even imagine undertaking such a voyage in such a small boat, I've literally spent 20+ years with a 40 footer in my head and that was a compromise
There are so many different ways to enjoy sailing/cruising without sailing circles in the Pacific on a large sailboat

A small coastal cruising sailboat can be a very good substitue and possibly be much less boring than the endless cirlces ......

You might even find out that it is enough.........espcially if you are in a good location like we are here along the Chesapeake Bay

And as far as the just go thing, you can take that a lot of ways

The best way I'm thinking is to "just go" and buy a starter boat and start enjoying your dream. There's no need to cross an ocean to enjoy sailing/cruising.

You don't even have to be retired
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 12:22   #13

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe3 View Post
That was my plan, to post here and some other Crew Sites but I wanted to get some feed back first from you guys as to wether or not I have enough skills to make it interesting for someone. I don't want to come across as some starry-eyed know nothing dreamer with asperations for a Pacific sailing vacation.
More than enough!

And you can be a starry-eyed dreamer as well!
Old 18-12-2019, 12:36   #14

Boat: Riva 48

My advice would be to do it on own boat. Cruising with other people is tough, you get into personal issues, different ideas where to go, etc. You need to be really good friends before setting on a long term cruise.

You can get a smaller, capable boat for very little money, fix it and have a blast for a few years. If I were you I will look for a boat vs. crew.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 12:51   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, rfe3,

If you've hung around here that long, you probably already can guess what I'll write, but I'm gonna write it anyway.

Fifty is still pretty young; people are living longer these days. But, the insistance on a 45 ft. boat is boloney. As tkeithlu pointed out, there are more people who would like to come with you than there are who want to take another aboard. I'd say, look at boats 30-36 ft. Perhaps a nice Moody 31 would suit, or an S & S 34.... The smaller you go, the easier it is to find berths; small boats keep down costs. And what really helps is good condition. That's where to put your money.

If you think you're not a skipper type, then join a service that finds positions for people who want to be crew. It isn't the specific dream you express, but it will be more doable.

Twenty years is a long time to have a dream you don't pursue--and yes, life does get in the way of plans. I don't think you're too old, but I wonder if you have the necessary perseverance as part of your character....

Anyhow, good luck with it, there's always a possibility your plan might work, but I really don't think it is very practical as is.

Ann

Tags
cruise, cruiser