Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 11:10   #256
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Why Coimbra? It even isn't a coastal region.
Its where I live...
And... its a pretty flag that I flew on a 1980's ex Italian Americas Cup boat.
Got to meet a lot of people on that trip.. more than the Red Ensign or Stars n Stripes would attract..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
Old 17-09-2021, 11:10   #257

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I thought Aunt Jemima had been blackballed as being racist.!!!
I'm not bothered to look, but I think they changed the logo but not the name. It isn't maple syrup regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
I'm personally thinking about getting out the don't tread on me flag I think there's a time and a place for that flag
Does a 50mm deck gun count as a "flag?"
Old 17-09-2021, 11:11   #258

What would that be? A Virtue Signal?

Hallowe'en is the most popular adult holiday because people like to play "dress up". They don't wear all those Michael Myers and Freddy Kruger masks because they think those two guys were admirable.

Some boaters actually like to have fun by "dressing up" their boats. There is a proper and traditional way to "Dress Ship". Feel free.

There are real pirates today, but it is unlikely they bother to fly the Skull and Crossbones. That is a symbol of pirates who are long gone, ancient terrors who are essentially fiction now.
Old 17-09-2021, 12:39   #259

Boat: Pearson sloop 34

united nations flag
Old 17-09-2021, 13:52   #260

Boat: Outremer 49

I agree with many below that flying the pirate flag marks you as a bore to be avoided. Somehow marking yourself as an anti- establishment free spirit as you cruise about in your middle-class dream is a bit clueless.
How about something that has meaning to you personally…..environmental causes, the ASPCA, LBQT rights, Auburn football, whatever. Only you can answer that question.
Old 17-09-2021, 14:18   #261

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

Times change and so do perceptions some might even argue pirates can be corporations, government departments, government inspectors, parking police or the tax office.

The flag flown doesn’t always represent all onboard, their beliefs, or what’s in their heart

Get out on the water enjoy , have fun, meet people, share experiences

Forget the flag everyone should tow 🦆s
Old 17-09-2021, 15:10   #262

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Joy View Post
united nations flag
From the UN Flag Code:

Quote:
The United Nations flag may be flown on a vessel only if that vessel is
employed in the official service of the United Nations and if the United Nations flag is flown together with the flag of the flag State under whose laws the vessel is registered or licensed
Not sure I'd want to fly the flag of a largely inept and corrupted organization, that has strayed far from its original mandate, even if I could.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:13   #263

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleeglenn View Post
I agree with many below that flying the pirate flag marks you as a bore to be avoided.
Do you mean "bore" or "boor"? It matters.
IME, peeps that get their knickers in a twist over piratey flags are bores that should be avoided
Old 17-09-2021, 16:10   #264

Boat: Alajuela 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?

So let me get this straight…..
You’ve seen boats flying pirate flags and in your mind decided they were doing so in order to represent (and by default condoning) “really BAD people”.
(Other’s have pointed out that you have misconstrued the motivations of those who choose to fly the jolly roger, and in later posts you condemn them as trolls.)
You then go on to profess a desire to fly a flag that represents what YOU CONCEIVE to be the “values and lifestyle” of being a cruiser, which you enumerate to include “respect and friendship with the people and cultures” that you encounter.
Did it ever occur to you that the people on the boats flying the jolly roger are part of a culture you have encountered and you appear to be failing to show respect or friendship towards?
You then proclaim that “we’re the good guys”.
(I’ll leave the obvious fact that almost all actors consider themselves to be “the good guys” from their own point of view for now.) Then query what “flag WE may fly that represents cruisers and OUR values, (My emphasis on the “we” and “our”.) as though you assume that YOUR values are shared by all.
The kicker being : “I’D love to find a replacement FOR THE BOATERS FLYING PIRATE FLAGS that would be cool and make a positive statement.” (Again, my emphasis)
In other words, you would like to impose your sensibilities and values on them so that you could include them in YOUR “we”.
I’d submit that from the point of view of the boaters in question, the jolly roger serves the very purpose which you claim to seek; it being cool and making a positive statement. (Refusing to bend to the will of those who would oppress their free will and insist on conformity.)
The very fact that yacht clubs use pirate themes for fundraisers, and Disney makes cartoonish movies and amusement park rides, pirate garb being among the favorite Halloween costumes, adaptation of the jolly roger as emblems and pirates being the namesake of sports teams, the use in marketing and labeling of consumer items, the use by modern military, et al demonstrates that the modern zeitgeist does not perceive the jolly roger to be simpatico with modern day piracy.
While I acknowledge that you and some other posters may not agree with the modern acceptance of golden age of piracy imagery (jolly roger, pirate garb, etc) and have difficulty divorcing it from modern day pirates even though no modern pirates embrace it, the fact of the matter is that you are the outliers that the march of time is leaving behind in the ever changing ever evolving milieu of accepted social standards.

Since nobody is insisting or even trying to persuade you to fly a pirate flag, I would encourage you to fly any flag you personally see fit to fly on your boat as an outward declaration of your sensibilities and values and would hope that those setting eyes upon it don’t misconstrue your intent and judge you poorly based on that misconception or their own internal prejudice.
I would hope that you would have the courtesy to afford others that same respect and friendship even though you may conceive of them to be of a different culture.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:34   #265

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

Nothing wrong with someone wanting a different flag as long as they do not attempt to vilify/'knock' those of use who like the Ol' Skull & Crossbones. Just don't try to 'woke' us ; )
Old 17-09-2021, 18:43   #266

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Buy you a fancy Ed Hardy T-shirt an fly it as your inclusive rainbow pirate flag. Alternatively an inflatable pink unicorn as symbol of rebellion and rage against the system may be an option. [emoji1690]
Old 17-09-2021, 19:11   #267

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
Earth flag, and then-under-cocktail flag
Old 17-09-2021, 20:16   #268

How about something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grace_Flag.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	245508
Old 17-09-2021, 20:17   #269

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

[QUOTE=chrisr;3479964]i agree 100% with ann - piracy is criminal and an abomination (not long ago piracy was a hanging offence). i have friends who have suffered at the hands of pirates and displaying a 'pirate' flag is no joke

agree it's the same a showing a nazi or sea shepherd flag

What is wrong with a Sea Shepherd flag which would cause it to be thought of as equivalent to a Nazi flag ?
Old 17-09-2021, 20:28   #270

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

It was inevitable...

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)[1] is a saying made by Mike Godwin in 1990.[2] The law states: "As a discussion on the Internet grows longer, the likelihood of a person/s being compared to Hitler or another Nazi, increases."

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Closed Thread