Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 07:52   #226

Boat: Freedom 30
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexposeidon View Post
Personally I like the don't tread on me jack of the US Navy.
As explained to me by a Master Chief it simply means; Leave me the **** alone!
I agree, good choice, and as curious people ask about it you can enlighten them with a bit of Naval history!
Allen Dietrich
ENC
Old 17-09-2021, 07:55   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Yeah, mostly this. It is one of a piece with gigantic, loud pickup trucks, 'live free or die' slogans, strutting around with weapons, speed boats with five outboards, I could go on. Mostly guys with fragile egos and threatened self esteem desperately trying to convince mostly themselves that they are real 'men'.
I find it all rather pathetic, but they need to do more than that to genuinely offend me.
What does the COnfederate flag represent if not defending slavery and "wealth rules" ?
Old 17-09-2021, 07:56   #228

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet
pirate Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
Hello, why? because we want to be free as the old pirates they worked for themselves! do you think that in our bloody history french,english spanish and other recognized flag have not do crime,violence,murder,randsom etc... for their crown!!
Old 17-09-2021, 08:00   #229

Boat: Tartan Ten 33'

Trump Flag, shows rebellion as well as true and honesty.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:05   #230

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
How about just making your own ships flag? Pretend you're a country and have a friend give you a letter of mark?
Then go about your rampage ...
Old 17-09-2021, 08:08   #231

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
What does the COnfederate flag represent if not defending slavery and "wealth rules" ?
Yes, and some politicos still believe that way.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:19   #232

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Below is my 2005 e-mail to yachting media

Hello guys, sorry for seeming somewhat exercised about Piracy Themes but we as circumnavigators who have successfully run the gauntlet of 'Pirate Ally" in the Gulf of Aden and have sailed pirate infested waters off the north
coast of South America and in South East Asia feel we must comment.

Many boating magazines have carried alarming stories involving murder and
kidnappings endemic in several parts of the world including the North
Western Indian Ocean. Many of these same magazines carry stories and
advertisements using the Pirate Theme as a positive focal point.

I would like to pose an open question to all Sailing magazines and Sailing
organizations: why do we still see the Pirate Theme used in many gatherings
and events for boaters?? In light of the current piracy epidemic, we feel
piracy themes, flying the Jolly Roger as a joke and so on should be anathema to the Boating Community. PIRATES AREN'T FUNNY!!!

My hat is off to you Hugh and Heather, thank you for sharing your sobering perspective- piracy is real today, not just fiction or history, and why would we cruisers want to glorify that?

It makes a big statement that they stopped doing so after you sent them your letter. Bravo!
Old 17-09-2021, 08:19   #233

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Note to Trolls:

If you feel the need to chime in to dismiss this as an issue, you are completely ignoring the point and request of my post, which is seeking an "alternative to a pirate flag" that makes a positive statement about cruising.

People who feel the need to spout their contrary opinions out of context either aren't paying attention, don't care, or have too much time on their hands and not enough worthy causes for their energy.

I care about the cause of trying to find a flag that makes a "statement" worthy of the cruising community, how about you- feel free to post on CF something you care about.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:20   #234

Boat: Pearson 386

Weren't pirates the people that stole from rich shipowners that plundered the wealth of cultures in Africa and the Far East. Who's the hero, and which yacht club do they belong to?
Old 17-09-2021, 08:23   #235

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Remember the Quest.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:51   #236

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
How horrible, ain't it.

Once you hit 28, you should end all fun in your life.

No, just thinking that by age 28, people should be mature enough to stop playing "let's pretend" games that are more suitable to children in a school yard.

There are much better ways to amuse yourself as an adult than making yourself look ridiculous.

A number of my fellow Americans have a particular knack for making themselves look foolish and thinking themselves clever.

I was at a music festival in the west of Ireland in the 1980s when a middle-aged American showed up at a pub in a bright green leisure suit speckled with white shamrocks.

This apparently was his St. Patrick's Day outfit back home, and he thought the Irish would love him for it. He couldn't understand it when everyone reacted like he had the plague and wouldn't go near him.

The bar was packed five deep except for a circle around him. To get a pint quickly, you had to venture into that circle and risk having a conversation with him ...
Old 17-09-2021, 09:01   #237

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I have a CD of 60 minutes of great cowboy yodeling. It's amazing how peaceful my anchorage is in just one hour.

You sir are cruel simply cruel
;-)
Old 17-09-2021, 09:04   #238

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Apologies - I was not clear. I was only referring to the skull and crossbones in this comment. I am 100% with you that the CSA flag, swastika, et al are in a different category and worthy of firm reprobation. I feel that the skull and crossbones are not in that category.
Thanks for calling me on that.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:10   #239
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobia Chaser View Post
"I may be getting cranky" most valid point you've made. What's wrong with folks going out on the boat and having a good time flying a pirate flag? Lighten up

Wow! One post in ten years. There's a few people here that could learn a lot from that.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:16   #240

Well I certainly like Heavy Metal pirate music to get me in the mood to do the less than pleasant or physically demanding boat jobs. Alestorm & Stormfrum. Stan Rogers sang a good pirate song. Then there are Sea Shanties good for anytime.

As for a flag. A white flag with a blue band along the bottom with the "Peace" circle symbol above the (water) blue band.

Pirates hoisted a black flag as pirates and a red flag to fight.
Closed Thread