Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 14:45   #16

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
Re: Neat diagrams of locations of safety gear?

Hi Little Wings. Yes, I am familiar with the regulatory requirements (I had a commercially endorsed MCA/RYA YM Offshore Instructor cert for a time), but I have never put together all the documentation properly. I am now planning a trip around NZ and maybe off to the South Pacific next year, so (as I will need crew on board) now I do need to follow the rules!
I need the boat diagram in three copies (which I have now acheived thanks to Requiem) to illustrate the safety related itens on board. But now I hace Moana Bella’s example to follow I am not as pleased with myself as I was at first!
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 14:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
I googled "Moody Carbineer 52 plans". Couldn't find those exact plans within a couple seconds, so I picked the above as an example.

Do you have a scanner? If not, I wonder if a place like OfficeMax could scan the plans for you. At any rate, I'm pretty handy with making diagrams. Here's an example I made for a friend:

If you can send me a sketch or a photo of exactly what you'd like, I can try to help. No promises, though. I've been super busy and I have about four or five other projects I need to finish.

Cheers!
Dear SeanPatrick, that is a very generous offer, thank you. However, thanks to Requiem, I have now made a decent boat outline which I am making into three versions for the different levels (hull, accomodation, above decks).
Then along came Moana Bella and made me realise there is another level I could aspire to!
Old 05-07-2021, 15:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
SeanPatrick and Moana Bella offer a really good solution............use the Snip & Sketch to copy and paste your boat's plan and cross-sectional views from the owner's manual into a WORD document. Then use the Shape function in WORD to insert arrows from a text description of the safety gear to their location.
Hi Sailsf; my boat was built before boat manuals were thought of! My documentation is pretty thorough; about 40 office-style hanging files, but I need diagrams of the safety equipment for new crew to find such when needed.
Though I hope they will never need to access critical stuff without me; on one trip to Tonga we had to restrain a crew member who started to launch the liferaft just because the weather got up a bit! ( An object lesson in how seasickness affects people who need medication to keep them calm and steady.)
Old 05-07-2021, 19:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sorry for jumping ahead a bit, Keith, but what's your intention for these drawings? Are you going to put them into some crew briefing booklet? How do you think such a booklet would be used?

[Itemization of a Safety Briefing], but you get the idea.

So why a diagram?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
I need the boat diagram in three copies to illustrate the safety-related items on board.
Missed my point entirely...

How is a boat diagram, in triplicate, going to help you and your crew in an emergency situation?

Do you honestly think a crew member will go in search of a boat diagram in order to find the relevant emergency equipment?

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 23:34   #20

Quote:
Do you honestly think a crew member will go in search of a boat diagram in order to find the relevant emergency equipment?
In a dire emergency perhaps not, but for the small emergencies, it gives inexperienced crew a lot of confidence if they know where they can find the information outside of the skipper's head.

Checklists and usable documentation really enhance safety. Flight safety has proven this and it works just as well on ships.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:56   #21

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
In a dire emergency perhaps not, but for the small emergencies, it gives inexperienced crew a lot of confidence if they know where they can find the information outside of the skipper's head.

Checklists and usable documentation really enhance safety. Flight safety has proven this and it works just as well on ships.

Agreed, it is a great help for all new crew on board and much more effective than a boat tour and pointing out 30-40 locations of interest.

Also, the mere fact of assembling the safety diagram solidifies the knowledge, and may prompt needed changes, in the skipper’s head.

Finally, if the OP is in New Zealand and has a NZ registered yacht, then a safety diagram is a Cat 1 requirement.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:32   #22

Quote:
Missed my point entirely...

How is a boat diagram, in triplicate, going to help you and your crew in an emergency situation?

LW77
It’s a learning aid, not a set of instructions. New crew need to be introduced to a lot of new information and written material is needed to reinforce the walk-throughs and training I have to give as skipper. I am not writing a flow-chart for how to respond to an emergency. You might be confused by this, but I am sure new crew would not be confused less if I withheld these diagrams.
So the ‘facepalm’?
The only set of instructions I leave on display for crew is for sending a Mayday.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:29   #23

Boat: Aerodyne 43

Quote:
Dear All,
In preparing for some trips with new crew, I need to produce diagrams and other documentation showing the locations of safety items, etc.
Does anyone have a neat outline of the waterline of a sailing boat in some format that can be imported into some free presentation software (OpenOffice, Apple Keynote...)?
(I have tried tracing outlines from my plans, etc, but I am ham-fisted and all my various attempts embarrass me.)
Help!
I reached out to Rodger Martin, the naval architect that designed my Aerodyne 43, and he provided a simple line drawing plan pdf that I then used Visio to put on fire and flooding safety icons.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aerodyne43 - Safety Plan - Fire and Flooding.pdf (426.8 KB, 36 views)
iduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:32   #24

I searched for “boat model” layout. From there used simple arrows and shapes llisting items categorically;
1 page shows just seacocks
2 tools/ parts/
3 personal effects
4 etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D18C60F9-AD12-4813-9F16-0F0118AA664E.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	241954  
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:05   #25

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Dear All,
In preparing for some trips with new crew, I need to produce diagrams and other documentation showing the locations of safety items, etc.

The safety diagrams are actually a requirement for US boats participating in offshore racing. See 3.28 of this attachment. Similarly it is required for NZ sailboats.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 05:26   #26

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 26C, Niagara 35C

Quote:
Dear All,
Does anyone have a neat outline of the waterline of a sailing boat in some format that can be imported into some free presentation software (OpenOffice, Apple Keynote...)?
(I have tried tracing outlines from my plans, etc, but I am ham-fisted and all my various attempts embarrass me.)
Help!
You might find a good deck plan and below deck plan on SailboatData.com if your boat is a production boat. Copy image from the web page and bring it into any layout program as a bottom layer, then create labels on a new layer(s) over this. If you have an I-Pad or Mac, Apple’s free Pages software will do this.
MistyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, safety