Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2022, 10:01   #31

Re: my crazy dream

Yes. Especially in Mexico
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 10:05   #32

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
I think siamese may be the only one who gets it that the OP is just teasing.
No Simi 60 also cited “troll”. Whether it’s real or trolling will result in the same- no action taken, but a bunch of useless post. Is FB this bad?
Old 16-09-2022, 10:07   #33

Don't forget your passport
Old 16-09-2022, 10:23   #34

Someone also asked if you would get stopped in central America. Yes, especially east coast of Mexico
Old 16-09-2022, 16:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Whether this is (as I suspect) a troll or not, I don’t feel like encouraging similar ideas in people without any sailing experience. These threads are read over and over for many years, and the last thing I want to do is give (even jokingly) false expectations that facing an open water crossing on a Hobie is a piece of cake. It is not.

Isn't the goal of CF to promote cruising?
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 16:31   #36

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
I dont know if it to support cruising but to help cruisers.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 23:20   #37

Suprised by the positivity. Troll or not OP.. people have done this. This will shock the liveaboards pontificating throughout the forum daily but people throughout the world do things like this daily and WHATEVER country your ancestors are from theres a damn good chance they got there like this. Believe it or not people once sailed without 50' Benetau's, professional crew, radar, sonar, epirb and actually left the slip more than 2 days a year.... not that they had slips.

Thomm225 your advice comes off.. jerkish but seems realisti

I would not mess with the visa thing though :P Some countries dont play
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 01:11   #38

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
And not killing yourself through stupidity.

I found some old rope being sold cheap what do you think about going abseiling?
I have an ice-cream container for a helmet and some old socks for gloves.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 01:12   #39

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
No Simi 60 also cited “troll”.
Nope,
Not me
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 03:44   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
Suprised by the positivity. Troll or not OP.. people have done this. This will shock the liveaboards pontificating throughout the forum daily but people throughout the world do things like this daily and WHATEVER country your ancestors are from theres a damn good chance they got there like this. Believe it or not people once sailed without 50' Benetau's, professional crew, radar, sonar, epirb and actually left the slip more than 2 days a year.... not that they had slips.

I'm trying to save the guy some time and expense. As I said if he wants to go sailing like that or similar he should get a boat that will protect him from himself like my Bristol 27 or some other of the 20'- 32' sailboats on James Baldwin's small cruising boat list

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/

I think many that think his plan is doable are forgetting just how tired you can become after sailing for a few days and not sleeping or eating well.

If on a beach cat you will also at times be wet and cold whereas on an old Bristol 27 (got mine for $2,000) you can always heave too then go below and rest or run on autopilot and rest

Also I raced beach cats for 15 years and the 100 mile race we used to do yearly non-stop they have now made a two day race since most of the sailors are old now
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 03:58   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
my crazy dream

Quote:

No, the truth is these days “ people” don’t do this anymore. Partly the movement restrictions around the world and the surveillance culture means it’s not possible. You will be arrested for illegal entry , suspected of drug smuggling etc

This is not the 1950s

There were no “ good auld days “ just rose tinted nostalgia glasses.
Old 17-09-2022, 04:47   #42

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapping boomer View Post
so some dude cruising right off the beach in some little sailboat in central america is gonna get stopped by the authorities?
Maybe, maybe not. But, we cruised Central America on a small 25' sailboat, and yes, the authorities randomly came alongside to check our papers twice in three years.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 04:52   #43

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Thomm225 your advice comes off.. jerkish but seems realistic

Another thing when you do learn to sail on the lakes near your home the biggest difference I found after moving back to the coast between lake and coastal sailing is that the distances are so much further.

Sailing back and forth for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday afternoons on a 3 mile x 1 mile lake is lots of fun and can get you motivated for more but when you sail 50-70 miles in a day you will feel the difference then unless you are back where you started you'll have to find a place to anchor.

And yes you can drop the anchor most places but will the sea state allow you to sleep. Then say if you sleep maybe 2-4 hours and sail 50-70 miles the next day now you will start to understand a bit about this cruising thing.......as an older person that needs their sleep.

For me personally after doing short trips for 11 years I think it will take me 2 full weeks to adjust to sleeping on the boat at anchor comfortably.

Good news is at some of these secluded anchorages you can see so many stars you'll want to plan on getting up just for that.

Last time out a couple weeks ago I saw Orion rising at about 3 am and Jupiter was super bright.

The Big Dipper was also there so you knew where North was...and Cassiopeia opposite
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 06:47   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm trying to save the guy some time and expense. As I said if he wants to go sailing like that or similar he should get a boat that will protect him from himself like my Bristol 27 or some other of the 20'- 32' sailboats on James Baldwin's small cruising boat list
Part of my comment got cut off i think your comment was Excellent advice.
Ive been studying everything about sailboats for 40 years (either too young and broke or lived inland) and i think ive learned one thing:. Someone(s) will tell you you cant do it (because they cant) despite others having done it.

Aeronautical snobs told me mere peasants couldnt afford airplanes (you need $10k a year maintenance and 5k storeage and..) Wiser people told me to get a light sport airplane like the one in my driveway that i fix myself and costs $- storeage
Old 17-09-2022, 06:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No, the truth is these days “ people” don’t do this anymore.

Note i said i would Not try this without a visa. I meant the jumping on a tiny boat and going. Without a visa seems like a good way to lose a boat some money and freedom