Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 19:02   #211
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroniPete View Post
I can't believe the tone of cruisers on this page and comments on Sailing Zatara.
They legally left New Zealand with their health certificates.
They'll be in isolation for more than 2 weeks on their passage north.
They can easily self-isolate for way in excess of 2 weeks before going ashore.
I don't think they would go ashore anywhere without following proper protocol and procedures.
Where does all this animosity and new-age wowserism come from??
I don't see any evidence that they are behaving irresponsibly, I can't agree with some of the comments posted here.
They self reported they went ashore in contravention to the NZ CV19 lockdown rules at Great Barrier Island.

That is pretty much the definition of arrogance. Of course arrogance isn't a crime but there is nothing I find appealing about such arrogance.

YMMV.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 19:09   #212
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post

Now its not only those from Texas that don't like to follow the rules see this link about a thoughless and arrogant Kiwi!

https://www.talaniue.com/accusations...y-regulations/
Arrogance knows no boundaries although some like to make it an art form!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 19:46   #213

My My My..........
Haven’t y’all all been busy bodies here. Twas very entertaining reading all the thoughtful comments from everyone.

Next weeks video if you watch the show will help a lot of the poor misguided folks understand their follies, and remember our shows are always behind so what you think you know at the end of one video might not be such the case in the next. Nor what a newspaper prints based on not having enough information and making assumptions. But you will have to watch because I don’t want to spoil all the great banter here.

As the great Mark Twain said:

“ It Ain't What You Don't Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It's What You Know for Sure That Just Ain't So.”

See you next week the Z crew
Zatara55 is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 19:56   #214

Really.....? why would I think that a sailing forum is any different than any other forum I have been involved with? I have been the SME (Subject Matter Expert) on a few forums, in particular for snowmobile tuning and racing. It never ends, you have the elitists that say there is only one way to do it (because that is all they have ever tried or have read) or the DIY Tech diver that again, "this is the only way to be DIY" and then you have others, like me, that have tried everything under the sun (on the snow), and know what works and doesn't work. Granted I came to this forum to learn more about sailing, it really isn't any different what what I have read. There are always people passing judgement when they really don't know the FACTS. Yes, I do enjoy Keith, I like his arrogance. Right , wrong, or indifferent it is his job as captain to make the decisions for the boat. Support the Captain or open up your sailing to others and let the bashing begin, you will always find someone that says you did it wrong or "they should have done this", or "if it were me" or "wait until they do this passage" Etc, Etc, Etc.... Same old, Same old, just a different forum / subject..
Austin351 is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 19:57   #215

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Do you say it is an easy passage, or do you meant it was easy last year ?

barnakiel
I meant the specific passage they videoed, no more than 25kts behind them and fairly small seas. No, I'm completely aware that that passage can be properly unpleasant in the wrong weather. Either way I wouldn't have my sons running around the bow without any safety gear in those conditions.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 20:18   #216

Boat: Lancer 36

Zatara on the thread, epic! I look forward to seeing the explanation given on their journey, and though I doubt any of their critics would admit if they were wrong on any point, one can hope.....
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 21:04   #217

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
If I was given the choice of staying in New Zealand where the average temp hovers around 50 or LEGALLY sailing out and then changing my heading to the first island that opens I would choose the latter every time. I think what they did was smart, legal, and there was nothing dishonest about it.

On the other hand, faking a boat break down to extend safe harbor is illegal and dishonest.
More like 65 in winter here in Marsden cove where they were. I’m glad they’ve gone, it’s nice not having to step around all the skateboards , scooters and all the other crap they left lying on the walkway to get to my boat, it’s like they owned the joint, well I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world.
Old fella is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 21:13   #218

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Ironically, many of us are following the quarantine rules of the places we're visiting, so we're pretty much hunkered down out of sight, behaving like responsible local citizens.

Ann
We'll have to wait for the facts about Fiji, of course, but the wake left in New Zealand was dirty and will affect future cruisers. It takes hundreds of Anns to erase the memory of one Keith in a destination, sadly.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 21:56   #219

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
Really.....? why would I think that a sailing forum is any different than any other forum I have been involved with? I have been the SME (Subject Matter Expert) on a few forums, in particular for snowmobile tuning and racing. It never ends, you have the elitists that say there is only one way to do it (because that is all they have ever tried or have read) or the DIY Tech diver that again, "this is the only way to be DIY" and then you have others, like me, that have tried everything under the sun (on the snow), and know what works and doesn't work. Granted I came to this forum to learn more about sailing, it really isn't any different what what I have read. There are always people passing judgement when they really don't know the FACTS. Yes, I do enjoy Keith, I like his arrogance. Right , wrong, or indifferent it is his job as captain to make the decisions for the boat. Support the Captain or open up your sailing to others and let the bashing begin, you will always find someone that says you did it wrong or "they should have done this", or "if it were me" or "wait until they do this passage" Etc, Etc, Etc.... Same old, Same old, just a different forum / subject..
No, you are incorrect. Fiji has made it very clear regarding rules and procedures, there's no interpreting, therefore the boat in question followed them or they didnt, it's actually that simple, in this instance it's not about doing things a different way.

In these uncertain times our actions matter, because the wrong actions can make it hard for other cruisers, selfish dosen't cut it here, particularly when you were in a safe, nice 1st world country like NZ that you didnt need to leave.

•Did they engage a Fiji agent prior to leaving ?
•Did they submit pre arrival paperwork before leaving?
•Did they have a covid 19 test?
•Was the test submitted and the permission granted prior to leaving NZ?
•Did they leave within 48hrs of test results?

It's that black and white, that's what the rest of us have to do and are choosing to do.
daletournier is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 22:20   #220

Boat: Volkscruiser

Dale what I love is that a heap of people are going to watch the next video and the Z crew are laughing all the way to the bank........why a supposed millionaire needs to make money and let the world know how "Special" his family is has me beat?
Anyway unless you get both sides of the story then Mr Z is no better than another famous
American spin doctor.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 22:38   #221

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

I don't know him personally so I can't speak to his character. I condemn his arrogant narcissistic behavior. I do not care about his nationality or that he is a Youtube busker. And, this has nothing to do with "fear based thinking," or herd mentality, or concern about spreading the virus. It has everything to do with respect for island nations in the Pacific and their laws and peoples.

/QUOTE]

It is the typical scenario of their side of the story, the other side of the story, and then there is the truth.

The lambasting here carries a significant tangible greater disliking of Zatara, then the underwriting and seemingly endorsement of the laws. The writing style and words used gives the impression of a personal attack on Zatara and being blockers, than being an emotional free, objective reporting on what could have been a mere factual reporting.

I was lost in the emotions. Not sure why the cruiser reference in the caption was in inverted commas i.e. - as if they are not cruisers. I don't get what is with the directed distaste and name calling.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 22:42   #222

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatara55 View Post
My My My..........
Haven’t y’all all been busy bodies here. Twas very entertaining reading all the thoughtful comments from everyone.

Next weeks video if you watch the show will help a lot of the poor misguided folks understand their follies, and remember our shows are always behind so what you think you know at the end of one video might not be such the case in the next. Nor what a newspaper prints based on not having enough information and making assumptions. But you will have to watch because I don’t want to spoil all the great banter here.

“ It Ain't What You Don't Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It's What You Know for Sure That Just Ain't So.”

Glad you were entertained.

Sadly, your profit-based 'reality show' is certainly not so entertaining. Believe it or not, we're not as ignorant as it appears you think we are, nor as it seems you believe your 'followers' (isn't that a loaded descriptor?) are.

We're also (at least most of us) cognizant (as most multicellular life is) of the theory of time, and also its direction into the future, so perhaps your cognizance of that near-ubiquitously accepted fact could be incorporated into an apparently much-needed lesson on social mores. Sad that someone as a-social as me should feel it necessary to even put that into words, but...

Not sure why you'd think Samuel Clemens would ever say or punctuate something like “ It Ain't What You Don't Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It's What You Know for Sure That Just Ain't So.”, but Huck Finn, Big Jim, Tom Sawyer, Hank Morgan, Theodor, the Mysterious Stranger himself, et al would have a hearty laugh indeed at your attempt to monetize the misattribution of his 'quote'.

Certainly don't think it matters much to you, but doesn't appear, from the comments on this thread alone (there are others), that you'll recruit many viewers here.

As I said previously in this thread, I hope your children are learning from your example...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 22:53   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatara55 View Post
My My My..........

Well, it is refreshing to reference and witness your appearance on the forum. May I be so candid to welcome you!

Would appreciate your version of the events. - even if it does preempt your video.

We are of one community. Kindly raise your side for us to understand and learn from the experience.

Thank you in anticipation
Old 17-07-2020, 23:00   #224

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
G

Not sure why you'd think Samuel Clemens would ever say or punctuate something like “ It Ain't What You Don't Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It's What You Know for Sure That Just Ain't So.”, but Huck Finn, Big Jim, Tom Sawyer, Hank Morgan, Theodor, the Mysterious Stranger himself, et al would have a hearty laugh indeed at your attempt to monetize the misattribution of his 'quote'.

The huge irony of attributing that aphorism to Mark Twain is that he's trying to use it to to demonstrate that "he knows and other don't" when he's actually demonstrating the exact opposite.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 23:01   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Glad you were entertained.

Sadly, your profit-based 'reality show' is certainly not so entertaining. Believe it or not, we're not as ignorant as it appears you think we are, nor as you believe your 'followers' (isn't that a loaded descriptor?) are.

We're also (at least most of us) cognizant (as most multicellular life is) of the theory of time, and also its direction into the future, so perhaps your cognizance of that near-ubiquitously accepted fact could be incorporated into an apparently much-needed lesson on social mores. Sad that someone as a-social as me should feel it necessary to even put that into words, but...

Certainly don't think it matters much to you, but doesn't appear, from the comments on this thread alone (there are others), that you'll recruit many viewers here.

As I said previously in this thread, I hope your children are learning from your example...

May I object?

I am rather interested in Zataras version.
Attacking the Defense before allowing his case to rest, clouds judgment.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser