Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 10:20   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 509
More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

It seems 3 arrogant self-righteous 'cruisers' decided to sail to the Soloman Islands and enter the country illegally are now in jail and have been denied bail.

GOOD!

Contrary to what Whitaker on S/V Zatara published in his blog, or vlog or whatever...the gov't of Tonga denied him entry.

Here is the latest from Tonga News

I don't like the lockdowns, but I respect the laws of a nation and the wishes of the islanders. Thus, I wait patiently in Hawaii until things reopen, or I figure out plan B.

In a previous post someone suggested we have a freedom to travel. Perhaps we do. But that does not give us the freedom to enter another country illegally.
__________________

__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 11:03   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 202
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Contrary to what Whitaker on S/V Zatara published in his blog, or vlog or whatever...the gov't of Tonga denied him entry.

Contrary to what the article states, they are no longer in Minerva Reef and appear to be headed to Fiji.


That said, last I spoke with my friend who lives there, they said their borders were still closed.


I'm all for adventure but breaking the law does not fall into that category. From what I've heard, they are not fans being told what they can or cannot do.
__________________

NaClyDog is online now   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 11:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 509
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Contrary to what the article states, they are no longer in Minerva Reef and appear to be headed to Fiji.


That said, last I spoke with my friend who lives there, they said their borders were still closed.


I'm all for adventure but breaking the law does not fall into that category. From what I've heard, they are not fans being told what they can or cannot do.
Yes, I didn't check their tracking page (really not interested). The article was from 2 days prior, and last I saw on the matter the navy "allowed" them to anchor at the reef as long as the navy ship was on station.

According to Noonsite and OCC bulletins Fiji is starting to open with tight restrictions, one of which is being approved prior to landing. Entry is not guaranteed. And, news of misdeeds of a cruising yacht travels fast over the coconut telegraph.

If they can stay at sea for 6 months as he supposedly boasted...perhaps they can sail back to Texas.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 202
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Yes, I didn't check their tracking page (really not interested). The article was from 2 days prior, and last I saw on the matter the navy "allowed" them to anchor at the reef as long as the navy ship was on station.

According to Noonsite and OCC bulletins Fiji is starting to open with tight restrictions, one of which is being approved prior to landing. Entry is not guaranteed. And, news of misdeeds of a cruising yacht travels fast over the coconut telegraph.

If they can stay at sea for 6 months as he supposedly boasted...perhaps they can sail back to Texas.

Just reached out to my friend in Fiji and there was talk of allowing pleasure craft to enter if they had completed 15 days of quarantine. On the heels of this though, Fiji just reported 3 new cases from persons repatriated from India and this will likely delay the opening further.
NaClyDog is online now   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 15:20   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 10,276
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
It seems 3 arrogant self-righteous 'cruisers' decided to sail to the Soloman Islands and enter the country illegally are now in jail and have been denied bail.

GOOD!

https://www.solomontimes.com/news/th...n-islands/9993


Not sure what the outcome of the court appearance on 6 July was.
StuM is online now   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 15:22   #6
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 18,964
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Although they are "small island nations", these guys' customs and immigration services have been linked by computer communication since at least 1990, when we learned about it. Call it "enhanced" coconut telegraph.

Quote:
The Whitaker family have been trying to circumnavigate their world, but are now held at Minerva Reef, watched by a Tongan patrol boat.
--from the newspaper article linked in the first post

So now we know the Whitakers think it is okay to post lies on their blog. I, for one, will not ever look at it. For those of you who think boycotting might be too harsh, it is that each of us who leaves his/her country of origin to go cruising is of necessity a sort of friendship ambassador to the countries we visit. If they lie to people who look at their blog, they'll lie to anyone. Such people do not leave a "clean wake" for the cruisers who follow. One can never trust liars, except that they will continue to lie. Unfortunately, such behavior tarnishes all cruisers to the countries they visit, creates ill will towards us.

I feel really bad they're teaching their kids this. It is totally contrary to what most of the international cruising community stands for.

Good on the Solomon Is. for enforcing their laws.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 15:44   #7
cruiser

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Pago Pago
Boat: Lancer 36
Posts: 289
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

I looked at the Zatara web page and their FB page this morning and saw nothing regarding their current location, or anything remotely current since they were in Australia. How does one determine what is in someone's blog without ever looking at it. My browser will not connect to the referenced article above, but the Tongan news article from the other thread had some potential errors that were reported by one of their contributors, and the cancel culture dogpile and anti US rhetoric began. The article on the Solomon Island situation is somewhat fuzzy on details as well, so it is difficult to determine what actually happened without further information. Maybe they couldn't reach anyone before entering territorial waters, went in with a Q flag, no one showed up for days, and they went onshore to find out why? I don't know....but I am sad that so many rush to condemnation in todays world, and certain voices are allowed to roundly condemn ad nauseum certain citizens of certain countries. My how the world turns.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 17:11   #8
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,377
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Fiji is now open to cruisers but there is a protocol that must be followed. They are being very reasonable imho, I hope cruisers respect the conditions of entry.

I was just on tbe phone with one of the official agents and hes been surprised at the resistance hes been getting regarding the rule following by some cruisers...at times I get embarrassed by the tight arse whinging segment of our community that make it difficult at times for the rest of us.
daletournier is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 22:17   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 3,762
Images: 7
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

It would help if these so called "authorities" showed a little consistency themselves. A few weeks ago thousands of their ideological soulmates ignored their requirements in order to participate in a protest march without any response from these same "authorities" (a place where they had been issuing $1,300 fines to people walking their dogs contrary to the rules)
RaymondR is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 22:26   #10
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 5,818
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
It would help if these so called "authorities" showed a little consistency themselves. A few weeks ago thousands of their ideological soulmates ignored their requirements in order to participate in a protest march without any response from these same "authorities" (a place where they had been issuing $1,300 fines to people walking their dogs contrary to the rules)
What? Where did this happen?? In the Solomons??? or Fiji????
__________________
Simple Celestial https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0
A little bit about Chile https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
Some Patagonian cruising notes https://docdro.id/bO63FbL
El Pinguino is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 22:39   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 509
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
I looked at the Zatara web page and their FB page this morning and saw nothing regarding their current location, or anything remotely current since they were in Australia. How does one determine what is in someone's blog without ever looking at it. My browser will not connect to the referenced article above, but the Tongan news article from the other thread had some potential errors that were reported by one of their contributors, and the cancel culture dogpile and anti US rhetoric began. The article on the Solomon Island situation is somewhat fuzzy on details as well, so it is difficult to determine what actually happened without further information. Maybe they couldn't reach anyone before entering territorial waters, went in with a Q flag, no one showed up for days, and they went onshore to find out why? I don't know....but I am sad that so many rush to condemnation in todays world, and certain voices are allowed to roundly condemn ad nauseum certain citizens of certain countries. My how the world turns.
Here is Zatara's track on PredictWind

If you could access the Tongan news site, or the government's statement you would see there is some inconsistency with Zatara's accounts.

Even on his predict wind page he posted the following statement on July 2.
Quote:
Who knows where we will end up or where we will go. I am as guilty as anyone for doing it, but I love not being part of a herd. Not following what others do. Carving my own path. Thatís what truly motivates me. It was tough keeping our spirits high before we left. It would have been very easy to fall into fear based thinking.
I don't know him personally so I can't speak to his character. I condemn his arrogant narcissistic behavior. I do not care about his nationality or that he is a Youtube busker. And, this has nothing to do with "fear based thinking," or herd mentality, or concern about spreading the virus. It has everything to do with respect for island nations in the Pacific and their laws and peoples.

I do agree with Ann...he is a youtube busker looking to carve his own path for self-promotion and trying to keep his coffer filled...I think it's that simple.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply
Old 09-07-2020, 23:22   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Posts: 713
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Itís odd, if I posted the same thing and replaced 3 cruisers with 3 illegals who got busted and zip tied crossing the US Mexico border....

Their country their rules. Meh
NorthernMac is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2020, 00:09   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 3,762
Images: 7
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What? Where did this happen?? In the Solomons??? or Fiji????
Non specific comment on the habits of "authorities".

Check and see whether or not their so called elites are in lock down or still jet setting on their tax payer funded international junkets?
RaymondR is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2020, 00:44   #14
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 5,818
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Non specific comment on the habits of "authorities".

Check and see whether or not their so called elites are in lock down or still jet setting on their tax payer funded international junkets?
Go on FlightRadar24 and start watching the 'executive jets' going to and fro......
As some one in the superyacht business once said to me...' the rich breath different air to the rest of us... they do not even know we exist..'.
__________________
Simple Celestial https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0
A little bit about Chile https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
Some Patagonian cruising notes https://docdro.id/bO63FbL
El Pinguino is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2020, 04:41   #15
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 5,818
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Itís odd, if I posted the same thing and replaced 3 cruisers with 3 illegals who got busted and zip tied crossing the US Mexico border....

Their country their rules. Meh
Yes .. but... whatabout...

Your relevance is...?

Dunno if you are a troll, a fool, or just very young... but please try to keep up with the herd and stay on topic...
__________________

__________________
Simple Celestial https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0
A little bit about Chile https://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
Some Patagonian cruising notes https://docdro.id/bO63FbL
El Pinguino is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailing Zatara causing some Pacific ripples nzmal Seamanship & Boat Handling 145 06-07-2020 23:33
Shoal keel on Beneteau 55; Sailing Zatara? KeepInTune Monohull Sailboats 5 05-08-2018 19:02

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.