Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 13:47   #196

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

I view it as new wave 21st century cruiser with the hey look at me and what I'm doing mentality. Instead of the I'm honored to be allowed to visit your nation, I see it as the Bart Simpson " outta my way" attitude. I wonder why it is there seems to be very few of the Pardey or Cornell type cruisers left and so many more Bart Simpson types. Yeah I'm coming to your island, yeah I'm the ocean freindly cruiser, oh by the way here is my old batteries, my used engine oil and my boat generated trash, get rid of it , I gotta get to the market for three months of provisions before the other boats in the flotilla get here and wipe out the market. Then it's entertain me while I'm here . Then once they are gone , it's that stinks , nothing there , prices are too high , people are rude . If it isn't this way it sure is portrayed that from the blogs, the you tube and the forums.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 14:15   #197

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
I view it as new wave 21st century cruiser with the hey look at me and what I'm doing mentality. Instead of the I'm honored to be allowed to visit your nation, I see it as the Bart Simpson " outta my way" attitude. I wonder why it is there seems to be very few of the Pardey or Cornell type cruisers left and so many more Bart Simpson types. Yeah I'm coming to your island, yeah I'm the ocean freindly cruiser, oh by the way here is my old batteries, my used engine oil and my boat generated trash, get rid of it , I gotta get to the market for three months of provisions before the other boats in the flotilla get here and wipe out the market. Then it's entertain me while I'm here . Then once they are gone , it's that stinks , nothing there , prices are too high , people are rude . If it isn't this way it sure is portrayed that from the blogs, the you tube and the forums.
Ironically, many of us are following the quarantine rules of the places we're visiting, so we're pretty much hunkered down out of sight, behaving like responsible local citizens.

Don't worry too much, the locals get tired of the Bart Simpson types very fast, they can pick 'em a mile away: they're intelligent, feeling people, and the jungle telegraph is very efficient. In the So Pac they lack modern superstructure to their cultures, so the simplicity of their living conditions can look like "poverty", and yet they are often quite wealthy in satisfaction with their lives, and have culturally embedded methods of problem solving and conflict resolution that are quite amazing.

People who visit and go in with an open heart may be adopted as friends by locals, and that can open up a whole new world for a cruiser, and a truly warming relationship can exist.

However, it is observable these days, that the locals in many places are a little tired of cruisers coming only to take. This is the wake left by modern cruisers with little sensitivity for the local people they meet. The dissatisfaction has been building for years.

What a shame!

Ann
Old 17-07-2020, 15:21   #198

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroniPete View Post
I can't believe the tone of cruisers on this page and comments on Sailing Zatara.
They legally left New Zealand with their health certificates.
They'll be in isolation for more than 2 weeks on their passage north.
They can easily self-isolate for way in excess of 2 weeks before going ashore.
I don't think they would go ashore anywhere without following proper protocol and procedures.
Where does all this animosity and new-age wowserism come from??
I don't see any evidence that they are behaving irresponsibly, I can't agree with some of the comments posted here.
Read the fiji requirements, you need to get permission to enter prior to leaving last port, you dont get permission until you email your covid 19 test results to them and then you must leave port within 48 hrs of test results.
daletournier is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:10   #199

NONE of you know the facts for sure as you are surmising with your weak investigative skills (used March text pic & July predict wind) and your apparent bias against Zatara family to then claim "facts" that are NOT facts! And then to wander into Your sanctimonious & clearly jealous diatribe about their net worth, boat brand (picked based on family needs not brand name) and declare you KNOW the situation and judge them! According to Renee they DID IN FACT HAVE PERMISSION FROM FIJI TO ENTER and start quarantine which they are currently doing. If you don't like them or their channel then MOVE ALONG and don't watch it!! Check yourself, your own jealousy, your bias, and take your cancel/boycott BS and move on and get a life of your own!!!
RnJBSailing is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:15   #200
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnJBSailing View Post
NONE of you know the facts for sure as you are surmising with your weak investigative skills (used March text pic & July predict wind) and your apparent bias against Zatara family to then claim "facts" that are NOT facts! And then to wander into Your sanctimonious & clearly jealous diatribe about their net worth, boat brand (picked based on family needs not brand name) and declare you KNOW the situation and judge them! According to Renee they DID IN FACT HAVE PERMISSION FROM FIJI TO ENTER and start quarantine which they are currently doing. If you don't like them or their channel then MOVE ALONG and don't watch it!! Check yourself, your own jealousy, your bias, and take your cancel/boycott BS and move on and get a life of your own!!!

Sooooooo, you know the facts?.......
smj is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:18   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnJBSailing View Post

Ahhh yes, the old "alternative facts" defense.

That may work in some places but not in most.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:21   #202

Yea, I asked them directly!! It will be in future videos how things ACTUALLY transpired. Have a great day!
RnJBSailing is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:27   #203

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

There are a great many sailors and boaters, and posters out there who have respect for other nations, islands, people, etc.

We have been fortunate to have sailed Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, lived for 10 years on Kauai, delivered boats from Cabo Mexico to Los Angeles, and sailed much of the Caribbean, also Ireland and Greece....

No way, at the present time, would we be violating the rules of those nations.

We understand that they cannot protect their people in this pandemic.

We follow the procedures , and we will not be returning to our beloved kauai at this time, nor bare boating anyplace, or taking those long road trips thru our western and south western states, or up the West Coast.

We also have respect for our own people here in Socal, and Kauai, and will continue to follow the guide lines.

We are NOT IN LOCK DOWN, we have not had our rights taken away.

We remain active, work out at home, hike our coastal and wilderness trails, go out to dine in places for happy hour, and dinners, but mainly those places who have outdoor service. We go to non crowded parks to BBQ, and walk to and along out Dana Point beaches. We have a life .

Actually, when the planet has overcome Covid 19, we are going to be out exploring the planet, meeting new and great people and having amazing adventures... on land and on sea.

We have also learned , that following procedures is a good plan, and that includes activity on land, sea, and air.

Most of us here, have a great deal of respect for others, and other nations.

Well, good on you. Keep you and yours, and others safe, just like you have been doing .

Denny
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 16:39   #204

Boat: a sailing boat

" ...
I can't believe the tone of cruisers on this page and comments on Sailing Zatara.

..."

Well, some people are liked by some communities, others are not liked. Most of the time, one gets his/her deserves.

You are a media star, you benefit and suffer from the same factors as the rest of your industry.

And CF is a social media platform, I think still not as notorious as Facebook or Insta.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 17:15   #205

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yes .. but... whatabout...

Your relevance is...?

Dunno if you are a troll, a fool, or just very young... but please try to keep up with the herd and stay on topic...
Why? because it's your opinion that he should. It's a free world people can do what they like as long as they accept the consequences for their actions. I see a lot of haters disguised as do gooders here. Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it everyone's, unless you like being part of the herd that is.
com5984 is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 17:25   #206

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Here’s an update on the Solomon Islands boat:
EXPATS GUILTY - Solomon Star News

Gives a bit more context, and my take on it (having been to Honiara) is that while mistakes were made, it isn’t quite the utter arrogance and contempt for rules that was painted by the other article.
I mean most of that article is interviewing their defense lawyer, so he's probably going to put a spin on it, some of what he says should maybe taken with a grain of salt.

For example, if they just went to the bar to 'ask how to clear in' then why did all three of them go and not just one?
Old 17-07-2020, 17:47   #207

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50

I've only met Keith from S/V Zatara once in Canaries, and he did come across as a bit Bullish. Just one of those guys that likes to do things his way I suppose.
I remember him saying he brought his Cat and couldn't be bothered waiting for all the paper work to be sorted, so he got the Owner to make sure he was on the owners insurance policy and he sailed away without paying for the bost until the paper work was sorted. He & his family happily sailed for several months without paying a cent for his boat - Pretty good deal I thought. Obviously its all paid for now but just gives you the idea that Keith isn't going to wait for anyone.
I think its pretty clear from Keiths own blog that he knew he wasn't following the rules but would simply go anyway and see what happens.
I personally can't agree with that, but thats his risk.
I try to abide by the rules of the country I'm going to.

As for nothing to do in New Zealand! Well I think thats probably more driven by the desire to keep his Blog followers happy to keep the numbers up.

I would love to be on my yacht in the Bay of Islands, one of the worlds greatest sailing destinations. Instead I'm stuck in Christchurch NZ longing to get back to my yacht in French Polynesia. I was about to fly back to FP but the border shut 5 days before my flight! Looks Like i'll be here for a fairly long time as the NZ Government is not allowing flights to FP.

I've once thought it would be great to have my own blog with followers contibuting towards my yachts running costs. But I quickly decided that I'd rather be doing what I want to do and not worrying if the followers had enough excitement for the day.

Now its not only those from Texas that don't like to follow the rules see this link about a thoughless and arrogant Kiwi!

https://www.talaniue.com/accusations...y-regulations/
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 17:52   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post
Now its not only those from Texas that don't like to follow the rules see this link about a thoughless and arrogant Kiwi!

Quite correct.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ters-1.5653722
NaClyDog is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 17:53   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I mean most of that article is interviewing their defense lawyer, so he's probably going to put a spin on it, some of what he says should maybe taken with a grain of salt.

For example, if they just went to the bar to 'ask how to clear in' then why did all three of them go and not just one?

;-)

Clearance in a bar?

Well, in Martinique maybe. But not in Tonga or Fiji. Both countries are mimicking NZ and AUS in their formality. Hence the Customs, Immigration and Hrabour Master up first, the bar last.

"How to clear in" is something one discovers PRIOR to going places. There are those places called 'ports of entry' and websites called Noonsite and CF and ...

And in all British formed places we visited, they clearly ask the crew to stay on the ship, and ONLY THE CAPTAIN, with 7 copies of crew lists, all equipment serial numbers, and passports, and visas and yellow fever certificates and ... proceede to ...

Also, hoist the yellow flag. (Or, Mount Gay Rum flag - but this joke goes well only in Barbados).

All the above is in times of peace, so what could one expect in times of Covid and world chaos?

Ah, study, study ... study is hard, bar is easy ...

Well, they tried at the bar, it did not work. Once beaten, twice shy. PAYG

;-)

b.
Old 17-07-2020, 18:17   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post

(...)

https://www.talaniue.com/accusations...y-regulations/

Ha ha ha!

Just think about it - the whole biosecurity side show so proudly promoted by NZ and AUS governments !!!

Ha ha ha!

The guy got whacked with the very hammer invented by his own government!

Super funny. I hope his boat got confiscated, and his pet 'destroyed' ???

("destroyed" is what AUS biosecurity does to your pets should they arrive with you and fail to pass their pet visa biosecurity requirements)

b.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser