Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 01:49   #166

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Well, just goes to show, you can take the boy out the province, but you can't take the provincial out the boy.

Or maybe it just takes a few years, though they don't seem to have the --- curiosity? --- temperament? --- humbleness to the cosmos? (hehe) --- to be long-term advocates of the lifestyle. One never knows though...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 00:48   #167

Boat: Westerly Sealord

First cruisers to arrive in Fiji under new 'Blue Lane' rules..

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...ji-s-blue-lane

I suspect either Pu Uhonua https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:PU_UHONUA

or Cat Laha... both sailed from Opua on the 10th... after the new Fiji rules had been set in place...
Old 17-07-2020, 00:53   #168

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Yes, Ironically NZ has been back in business and out of lockdown since they left, with the only Covid cases (so far, fingers crossed) being returned travelers in quarantine, and the locals are taking advantage of the lack of international tourists to go and see their beautiful country without the crowds and with deals being offered of course.
My Mum has just returned home from her third or fourth boating tour of Fiordland; she always goes in winter as (bizarrely) it is better weather with more sunny days, more stable winds and sometimes less rain. Her photos seem to bear this out once again.
A spectacular part of the world (as with all Fjords take plenty of anchor rode and extra ropes to tie off).
I find it amusing that they thought there would be nothing to film in NZ,and the kids wouldn't benefit from at least a camper vanning trip around if they couldn't be bothered taking their boat. After all hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world usually seem to find something to see and do there!
Judging from their videos and how they handled a pretty easy passage down to NZ last year I think it's probably best that they didn't attempt to sail around New Zealand. They aren't prepared for conditions outside the easy tradewind sailing.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 03:33   #169

Word in the sailing community on the island is that because some vessels arrived without following proper protocol, they were still deciding what to do about them. Namely, no pre-approval via agent.

Also, since these fine folks had a stop at the Minerva Reef this means their travel wasn't uninterrupted which may pose an additional issue.

Maybe I was wrong when I said I didn't think they would have any issues getting into the country with not following the rules set out by the govt.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 03:44   #170

One wonders if the Fijians have heard of Admiral Byng

Mind you.. having just seen the Northland forecast.. where would I want to be just now... ?
Old 17-07-2020, 03:49   #171

'“The flooding is so bad that the frogs are running across the road to try and get some shelter.”'

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/122...mmer-northland
Old 17-07-2020, 05:08   #172

Round here we call that a 'frog-strangler'...as in, "And then it came a frog-strangler".
Old 17-07-2020, 07:13   #173

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
(...) a pretty easy passage down to NZ last year (...) .

Do you say it is an easy passage, or do you meant it was easy last year ?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 07:18   #174

Try to sail illegally or "illlegaly" to AUS, US or NZ. See what ensues.

Why then should anybody expect to be treated otherwise in Tonga, Fiji or Crakosia?

b.
Old 17-07-2020, 07:23   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try to sail illegally or "illlegaly" to AUS, US or NZ. See what ensues.

Why then should anybody expect to be treated otherwise in Tonga, Fiji or Crakosia?

b.

Haha, this is a loaded question if I ever saw one!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 07:31   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

(...) --- to be long-term advocates of the lifestyle. One never knows though...

I think they are great advocates of THE lifestyle. Now please define the lifestyle.

What they are doing - creating visual content and selling it online, they seem to be on par with other creators, influencers and affiliate marketers. They are building the audience and monetizing their (the audience's) dreams.

On the road shows have always been a business like any other, and most often done by families (or else by troupes). True, last 50 years there was a decline, but with Youtube, blogger, vlogger platforms and so many online marketing tools I think we are right now witnessing a revival of the lifestyle: there are the half naked cruisers (online), the family with kids cruisers (online), the vegatrian travel with no money cruisers (online), etc. etc. etc.

I think they are all advocating the sail and sell lifestyle VERY WELL INDEED.

At least if I were to judge from the number of followers and mimickers they have!

b.
Old 17-07-2020, 07:32   #177

I’m more worried about the MILLIONS violating our own borders each year.
refuge is offline   Reply
Old 17-07-2020, 07:47   #178

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by refuge View Post
I’m more worried about the MILLIONS violating our own borders each year.
Ignoring the slight arrogance that assumes we should know which borders are yours, I got a genuine smile out of the irony of a statement like that from someone sporting a handle like "refuge."
Old 17-07-2020, 08:05   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think they are great advocates of THE lifestyle. Now please define the lifestyle.

What they are doing - creating visual content and selling it online, they seem to be on par with other creators, influencers and affiliate marketers. They are building the audience and monetizing their (the audience's) dreams.

On the road shows have always been a business like any other, and most often done by families (or else by troupes). True, last 50 years there was a decline, but with Youtube, blogger, vlogger platforms and so many online marketing tools I think we are right now witnessing a revival of the lifestyle: there are the half naked cruisers (online), the family with kids cruisers (online), the vegatrian travel with no money cruisers (online), etc. etc. etc.

I think they are all advocating the sail and sell lifestyle VERY WELL INDEED.

At least if I were to judge from the number of followers and mimickers they have!

b.
Heard in passing the other day that there were over 700 reality shows on 'mainstream media'. Who knows how many there are if you include youtubers, which is of course exactly what these 'entertainment' blogs are.

Don't disagree that they are "great advocates of 'the lifestyle' ".

The problem is the effects of that lifestyle; those sustained by the purveyors of it, the consumers and even the ecosphere itself.

From your recent previous posts (and the one above), I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

As for the 'lifestyle' I'm referring to, well I think you may be being a little --coy -- with that question, but let's just say if one doesn't display the listed characteristics "--- curiosity? --- temperament? --- humbleness to the cosmos?", as well as, I don't know-- respect? doggedness? self-restraint? self-doubt? empathy?... perhaps one is less likely to fall under the definition of someone who I'd label a 'cruiser'.

And, perhaps obviously, I dont think you have to live on a boat to fit that definition.

Here's a fairly interesting, sideways, reasonably watchable look at the problem from a purveyor of the genre it seems to me the Zatarans inhabit.

Old 17-07-2020, 08:44   #180

I think the point that NorthernMac was making is that the US does stuff like all the time and some people cheer for border enforcement. But when other countries do it these same people scream and yell about their rights. Simply, if they are worrying about their borders in the US, they should respect the border politics of other countries as well.
piara108 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser