Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 09:03   #196

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Monohull sailboat size for shorthanded cruising

My boat carries about 900 litres (~200 gallons) of water, so a watermaker has not yet become a necessity. But I can definitely see the benefits for a cruiser like me who loathes going to a dock. I'm setting up various rain catchers which I hope will help, but I can see us investing in one of the DC watermakers depending on how things go.

As far as actual water usage goes, we've never intentionally limited or skimped on the boat. And we've been out for months at a time. That said, I suspect my partner (a female, no less ) and I are more aware of our usage than most. Years of camping and living in a cottage with limited holding tank capacity has taught us how to live well with much smaller amounts of water than most North Americans use. It's not hard, but it does take an awareness of usage.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06   #197

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
...water is free and accessible allover the place...
Actually some places charge for water. But, worse is that you might take on non-potable water. Water-maker water is as pure as you decide to make it. And mineral supplements are a no-brainer.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:37   #198

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
The underlying point was about having large tanks AND a watermaker. Bigger vessels have larger water tanks...understandably and short boats have smaller ones...

But with a water maker... it's like going for frequent topping off... and so you probably don't need such a large tank. The OP wasn't about 2 couples but about short handed cruising.

In LIS for example... small water tanks are hardly an issue as water is free and accessible allover the place. It's just a minor inconvenience to come along side and top up the tank.

Off the beaten track large tanks and or a water maker is sensible.
Yeah, I initially missed that it was short handed cruising, that changes things.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:41   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yep, These "Wicked Salty" folks look like they're living in nirvana here on their minimalist lifestyle smaller boat. I think it was their next video where the woman contracted an infection and needed treatment. No doubt due to the high sanitation standards aboard the boat where according to the two, they rarely take showers. I also noticed him hauling up the anchor every day by hand.... That to looks like absolute heaven on earth, because there's no way he's going to need to fix something that doesn't exist. Awesome.

Our windlass worked just fine for ten years, until it required repair two years ago. And it's worked just fine every day since.

I just happened to see this video after checking out and wanted to share it with you.

Ciao.

Ken

Keep in mind that the Salty crew are in their early 20's and doing the go now thing.

After a little, ahem, maturing, desires and needs often change.

When I decided to live aboard I sold my 30' and bought a 42' which for me made perfect sense. Many of my friends thought the 30' would be fine. Different strokes...

On the 42' I had a rectangular bed in a private cabin and a separate stall shower with 80 gallons of water which meant showering on board whenever I chose without having to wipe down the entire head after. Unnecessary decadence? Not for me.

The boat was a ketch rig and easy to sail even without any roller furling.

If I anchored a lot I would have added an electric windlass with cockpit control but other than that....?

I simply don't understand the argument that anything more than bare minimum for person A is unnecessary luxury for everyone else.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51   #200

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A little off topic, but for those folks cruising in places with questionable water and you don't have a water maker, I highly recommend this filter. Super strong and reliable, used it for years on commercial river trips with large groups of folks.
https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/257-80...dyn-expedition
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53   #201

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Geez, almost half of a watermaker right there!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54   #202
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Keep in mind that the Salty crew are in their early 20's and doing the go now thing.
That's a good point that boat size and sailor age are normally related. But it is that younger people are more able to put up with the smaller size. Even though bigger boats can be more physical "older" people are still going to be more likely to get it for comfort (and they can afford it).
Old 03-06-2016, 10:00   #203
cruiser

Quote:
I simply don't understand the argument that anything more than bare minimum for person A is unnecessary luxury for everyone else.

Earlier today we ditched the idea of adding a solar farm onto the boat in favor of going Lithium batteries instead. MORE POWER!!!

I'm so glad we were delayed, because it gave me time to learn more about Lithium batteries and avoid a costly and unsightly mistake.

Regarding watermaker water not containing minerals.... that's an urban myth. Distilled water is the product that's had the minerals removed. Watermaker water still contains the minerals and is about the same as drinking water softened water.

These days with guys like Rich on this forum selling brand new watermakers for around $5000, I don't understand why anyone would mess around trying to cruise without one.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Geez, almost half of a watermaker right there!
Yeah it is pricey, but it is great.... and you can give a whole village of folks clean water to drink with no electricity!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
yep!
once you start down the "need-road" you pretty soon come to "no-need-to-cruise" & end up behind the house with a hemp rope round your neck...
I have to strongly disagree with you on hemp as a suitable material for rope given the intended usage that you state.

I suggest a multi page, rude and contentious discussion on this topic is now warranted.

As is typical of these types of internet disagreement, we doubtless will not be hearing from those who have actually used this form of rope for this purpose. Pity.

Begin.

sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That's a good point that boat size and sailor age are normally related. But it is that younger people are more able to put up with the smaller size. Even though bigger boats can be more physical "older" people are still going to be more likely to get it for comfort (and they can afford it).
But I think then the curve dips back down as age increases... 20 year-olds want a 20 footer, 40 year-olds the 40 footer, 60 year-olds the 60 footer, but then at 70 it drops back down to a 20 footer! and then at 90 it's down to 17 feet: here's a shot of my dear old dad:http://hddories.net/about-whitewater-dories/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-06-2016, 11:06   #207

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since there is pretty clear data to show the average cruising boat has increased in size over the decades, for your theory to be correct you would also have to show there has been a similar increase in the average age of cruisers.

Is this the case?

It's true that at 49 I'm usually one of the youngest people we meet. Hmmmm
Old 03-06-2016, 11:32   #208

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
I have to strongly disagree with you on hemp as a suitable material for rope given the intended usage that you state.

I suggest a multi page, rude and contentious discussion on this topic is now warranted.

As is typical of these types of internet disagreement, we doubtless will not be hearing from those who have actually used this form of rope for this purpose. Pity.

Begin.

You're late to the party:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...id-166138.html
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:59   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
But I think then the curve dips back down as age increases... 20 year-olds want a 20 footer, 40 year-olds the 40 footer, 60 year-olds the 60 footer, but then at 70 it drops back down to a 20 footer! and then at 90 it's down to 17 feet: here's a shot of my dear old dad:About Dories | High Desert Dories
I thought this was more appropriate size for 90

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11   #210

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Folks, a number of rude comments and responses to them had to be deleted. Please keep it clean. No need to disrespect each other, even in a hot debate about something.
Thanks for the appropriate moderation Dockhead. So long as you guys do the right things no body has to stand up to, or for, anyone else. You deleted part of mine and I'm happy with that.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull, sail, sailboat, size