Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 11:14   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mixing Amps on a House Bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you say so?.
Based on personal experience. Years ago had a boat and the only easy option to add house battery capacity was to mix 2Ds and 4Ds. Ran that way for years with no problems and batteries last 5-6 years with only a non smart alternator for charging. Didn't even have a charger that would equalize.

Know of several others that did similar and got by just fine. So opinion and speculation in my book is trumped by real world experience. Hard math and calculations don't hurt either.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:41   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Based on personal experience. Years ago had a boat and the only easy option to add house battery capacity was to mix 2Ds and 4Ds. Ran that way for years with no problems and batteries last 5-6 years with only a non smart alternator for charging. Didn't even have a charger that would equalize.

Know of several others that did similar and got by just fine. So opinion and speculation in my book is trumped by real world experience. Hard math and calculations don't hurt either.

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post. I think we are on the same page. I said it was an extreme. I just cannot see advocating mixing sizes and capacities.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:56   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post. I think we are on the same page. I said it was an extreme. I just cannot see advocating mixing sizes and capacities.
I think we probably are. Mixing battery sizes, ages and types is not optimal but when circumstances, situations or budget aren't ideal then some sub optimal solutions are acceptable.

I would NOT mix different battery types or chemistries except in an urgent need. I would only mix old and new batteries if the old were not very old and were verified good. Mixing different sized but not too different I believe is the least objectionable of the options.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:24   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think we probably are. Mixing battery sizes, ages and types is not optimal but when circumstances, situations or budget aren't ideal then some sub optimal solutions are acceptable.

I would NOT mix different battery types or chemistries except in an urgent need. I would only mix old and new batteries if the old were not very old and were verified good. Mixing different sized but not too different I believe is the least objectionable of the options.
Yep, If I had my druthers {sp?) I'd replace everything at one time, size and date of mfg.. Often not financially practical. Repurposing good batteries might make sense? Another thought with new replacement batteries is that they leave the supplier topped off.
Old 26-07-2018, 02:45   #95

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
I think people should parallel mix lawn mower or motorcycle batteries with 8Ds. The chemistry is the same but see how the miniscule plate size works for them. Probably work fine till the plates on the smaller one are eaten up. Hopefully only reducing it's life not shorting out the depleted plates thus shorting out the 8D. I know, a bit over stated, give it some thought.
Why would the plates on the smaller one get eaten up?
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 04:46   #96

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post

They won't and he's already back-paddling...
The smaller batt will get slightly overcharged only because it takes longer until the bus voltage comes to the float (or absorption) setting due to the bigger batt taking the current (and keeping the voltage lower than if you only had the small batt attached).

You cannot "pump" current into a batt without raising the voltage significantly, only this correlation is, admittedly, not so easy to grasp. And by that I don't mean to belittle anyone or calling anyone stupid, it really is not that obvious and the old way of thinking about water pressure in a hose doesn't always explain every phenomenon with electrosity correctly.

Having said that, fluid dynamics might actually be just as hard to grasp...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:47   #97

Quote:
Because of trying to suck the same amperage from far less squire area of the plates.
Old 26-07-2018, 10:44   #98
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Many lead chemistries are damaged by overcharging, keeping absorb volts high after endAmps acceptance has been reached. FLA not as much, long as you keep water topped up.

And all are damaged by habitually being undercharged, dropping to Float before that point.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 14:11   #99

Quote:
Because of trying to suck the same amperage from far less squire area of the plates.
It is not the same amperage. When hooked up in parallel, each battery supplies amps proportional to its internal resistance:

1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn

An analogy is that every person pushing a broken-down car pushes only as hard as they are able. If a five year old joins a teenager and a grown man in pushing, the five year old is in no more danger of hurting themselves than the other two.

For batteries in series, the current flowing through each battery would indeed be equal, and then it might become dangerous to mix different capacities of batteries, depending on the details:

Rtot = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn

Now the adult has a rope tied around their waist, which is in turn tied around the teen's waist, then around the five year old, and lastly a front hook on the car... and everyone is pulling as hard as they can. The force generated by the adult could indeed harm the other two.
Old 26-07-2018, 14:51   #100

Quote:
It is not the same amperage. When hooked up in parallel, each battery supplies amps proportional to its internal resistance:

1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn

An analogy is that every person pushing a broken-down car pushes only as hard as they are able. If a five year old joins a teenager and a grown man in pushing, the five year old is in no more danger of hurting themselves than the other two.

For batteries in series, the current flowing through each battery would indeed be equal, and then it might become dangerous to mix different capacities of batteries, depending on the details:

Rtot = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn

Now the adult has a rope tied around their waist, which is in turn tied around the teen's waist, then around the five year old, and lastly a front hook on the car... and everyone is pulling as hard as they can. The force generated by the adult could indeed harm the other two.
If you say so.
Old 26-07-2018, 16:34   #101
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Again, it is true this is not a safety issue, nor "won't work".

Just foolish IMO to not strive for maximum longevity.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 18:49   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Again, it is true this is not a safety issue, nor "won't work".

Just foolish IMO to not strive for maximum longevity.
Why would longevity be negatively impacted?
Old 26-07-2018, 20:55   #103

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If you want optimal then each battery has its own charge controller