Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2022, 23:29   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Mexico Pacific Coast Living1

Yes, you can buy property in Mexico. Here's a good explanation:
https://www.caribeluxuryhomes.com/en...as-a-canadian/
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
Hi,

I currently live in Los Angles and have a boat. I have a job that makes pretty good income and which can be done from almost anywhere. My employer is fairly progressive as regards working remotely.

I'm kicking around for ideas on places I could live, sail, and work remotely. I speak Spanish almost fluently, having a BA in the language and having used it extensively. I am fairly familiar with central and Southern Mexico, but I know almost nothing about the Mexican Pacific Coast.

I am thinking about looking into places around Baja California where I could live while working remotely. I would also take my boat down there (of course). The main thing is that I would need to have reliable high speed internet, which is not guaranteed in Mexico.

I'd be most interested in somewhere on the Sea of Cortez, or the Pacific Coast, (1) that has good internet service (2) that has a marina or at least docks (3) that is still relatively affordable. Ideally property is fairly cheap. What I wouldn't mind doing is picking up a relatively cheap place and after a few years moving on and rent it out as an air bnb or an artists retreat (marketing language). I was looking at Bahia Tortuga, for example, and thinking that it would be great as long as the internet is good. But I'm flexible. Just curious what advice people have. I'm also doing a Spanish language investigation on the topic, as the input and prices are often different when approached from that angle...
Starlink works EVERYWHERE in Mexico, for $1350pesos/Mo with mobility.

An apartment in La Paz can be found for $300usd to $400usd easy.

Or you can Anchor out for "Free" (there is a small fee based on tonnage, about a $1/day) with access to Dinghy Dock at Marina de La Paz $500p/Mo ($25USD). They have camera security as well as trash disposal and RO Water at dingy dock for the Fee.

Cell phones work as good in La Paz as in San Diego, I've been running my businesses from Mexico with a Verizon phone since 2010 and currently live in La Paz, BCS MX
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Starlink works EVERYWHERE in Mexico, for $1350pesos/Mo with mobility.

An apartment in La Paz can be found for $300usd to $400usd easy.

Or you can Anchor out for "Free" (there is a small fee based on tonnage, about a $1/day) with access to Dinghy Dock at Marina de La Paz $500p/Mo ($25USD). They have camera security as well as trash disposal and RO Water at dingy dock for the Fee.

Cell phones work as good in La Paz as in San Diego, I've been running my businesses from Mexico with a Verizon phone since 2010 and currently live in La Paz, BCS MX
I’d be interested to know what’s the cost of living , food, medical care , I suffer with horrible chronic pain crushed feet , bad knees , bad back , I can’t get good healthcare here , war Against opioids, I thought many times About going to Mexico because of that just wondering what y’all think about it
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:34   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
I’d be interested to know what’s the cost of living , food, medical care , I suffer with horrible chronic pain crushed feet , bad knees , bad back , I can’t get good healthcare here , war Against opioids, I thought many times About going to Mexico because of that just wondering what y’all think about it
We think food costs are much less than the USA, and for western style products, better than most other countries. If you like rice and beans, almost free.

Restaurant meals are much less than USA.

Medical care is much less, much less. Drugs included. We are 70's folks with typical health problems, completely self insured, and all our medical and medicine are less than $100/mo per person. A doctor's visit is under $30. Hospital costs are also low if you are careful about where you go. A recent shoulder tendon reattachment surgery was $4600 USD.

Any service which requires labor is very inexpensive.

Apartments and condos run the gamut from cheap to expensive.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer_Med View Post
I don't think you can buy property in Mexico without being an actual Mexican.
You can't within 50 km of the coast, but you can lease, and you can have a bank buy your property, which you then pay them to manage. LOTS of expats, including me, do it this way.

I've lived in Banderas Bay for 15 years.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:42   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrow View Post
You can't within 50 km of the coast, but you can lease, and you can have a bank buy your property, which you then pay them to manage. LOTS of expats, including me, do it this way.

I've lived in Banderas Bay for 15 years.
A Fideicomiso trust different from a "lease":
Through the Fideicomiso system, as a Canadian, you can buy a Mexican property. A bank acts as the trustee. The bank is the legal owner while you are the beneficiary of the trust. You as the beneficiary retain all legal rights of ownership.

As a result, you can sell, rent, and transfer your property to anyone. You can even pass it down to your children. The trust is for 50 years. You renew for another set of 50 years. You have another 10 years after those 50 years to renew the trust.

sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Through the Fideicomiso system, as a Canadian, you can buy a Mexican property. A bank acts as the trustee. The bank is the legal owner while you are the beneficiary of the trust. You as the beneficiary retain all legal rights of ownership.

As a result, you can sell, rent, and transfer your property to anyone. You can even pass it down to your children. The trust is for 50 years. You renew for another set of 50 years. You have another 10 years after those 50 years to renew the trust.

Yep...that's how I own My house in La Paz...walking distance to 12 taco carts!!!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

Thank you. I guess now I know what I've been doing for the past 15 years.

BTW, for US taxpayers, while a fideicomiso is translated as "trust" it's not considered a foreign trust by the IRS, and thereby doesn't have to be declared as such. You will, however, need to ensure that any Mexican bank accounts exceeding $10,000 USD are declared. I highly recommend Intercam.

As far as the other comments regarding hurricane vulnerability are concerned, many marine insurance companies consider Banderas Bay to be a hurricane hole, and if you watch hurricane historical tracks, it's easy to see why. We do get a lot of thunderstorms and lightning during the rainy season (June to October) and we almost never have a season when a few boats don't get struck in the marinas, or suffer from the side effects of a nearby boat getting struck. I do have to say, after having two very close hurricanes in the past 3 years, with climate change our hurricane hole status may be called to question at some point.

One last thing, regarding high speed internet availability. Starlink indeed works very well in Mexico, and it's actually cheaper than in the US. Also, Paradise Village Marina has fiber optic cabling to every slip, and can provide high speed internet that way (albeit not as fast as Starlink). There are residential suppliers like Totalplay who also provide fiber to the home. I'm using that now.

Good luck with your quest. You'll be joining thousands of expats who now call Mexico home.

Andy Barrow
Ocean Cruising Club Port Officer - Puerto Vallarta
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:29   #24

Boat: XYacht Xp 44 43.6'

Love Mexico. We have several friends who live there full or part time. Having spent some time in Bahia Tortugas I can say that the internet and cell is very spotty. Starlink is the answer if you intend to be anywhere slightly "remote".
Day Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:39   #25

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer_Med View Post
I don't think you can buy property in Mexico without being an actual Mexican.
There are multiple ways to purchase and securely own property in Mexico. There are risks, all of which can be mitigated by a careful process conducted through a reputable Mexican law firm. Most real estate services in Mexico will connect you with a reputable law firm. Mexico is welcoming when it comes to tourism and foreign investment. Even in areas influenced by cartels, personal safety and investment security are relatively protected. Massive amounts of cartel assets are invested in tourism and property. Almost all "horror stories" are based in personal misbehavior, efforts to flirt around on the perimeter of legitimacy, and/or shortcuts.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:51   #26

Boat: currently boatless and looking

I live in Mexico. On Baja La Paz is the cruising center of the universe.
On the mainland Id look at Barra de Navidad. I dont like the big tourist traps.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 18:22   #27

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Starlink works well down here in Baja México. Might solve your internet requirements.
Old 18-11-2022, 05:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
Hi,

I currently live in Los Angles and have a boat. I have a job that makes pretty good income and which can be done from almost anywhere. My employer is fairly progressive as regards working remotely.

I'm kicking around for ideas on places I could live, sail, and work remotely. I speak Spanish almost fluently, having a BA in the language and having used it extensively. I am fairly familiar with central and Southern Mexico, but I know almost nothing about the Mexican Pacific Coast.

I am thinking about looking into places around Baja California where I could live while working remotely. I would also take my boat down there (of course). The main thing is that I would need to have reliable high speed internet, which is not guaranteed in Mexico.

I'd be most interested in somewhere on the Sea of Cortez, or the Pacific Coast, (1) that has good internet service (2) that has a marina or at least docks (3) that is still relatively affordable. Ideally property is fairly cheap. What I wouldn't mind doing is picking up a relatively cheap place and after a few years moving on and rent it out as an air bnb or an artists retreat (marketing language). I was looking at Bahia Tortuga, for example, and thinking that it would be great as long as the internet is good. But I'm flexible. Just curious what advice people have. I'm also doing a Spanish language investigation on the topic, as the input and prices are often different when approached from that angle...

Starlink is the way to go--get the "RV" package
PYV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 06:00   #29

Starlink is the way to go. Get the "RV" package
PYV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 17:38   #30

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Ive been all over the Sea of Cortez and Mainland Mex as far south as Barr Navidad for the past 12 winters I like Puerto Escondido, 20 minutes south of Loreto, about 400 miles north of Los Cabos on the Baja, I have a 50 ft motor yacht. With solar, Starlink and a watermaker I can live on a mooring ball in the marina, off the docks with more privacy for a $450 per month fee. 4x per week jet service to LAX,
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico