Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 13:46   #1

Boat swapping?

I had an idea that someone might want to sail my boat when I’m not using it for a week or two and that I in return could borrow their boat another time. Would be fun to try new places in other countries etc. Since most boats gets used a few weeks every year (if you’re not a full time cruiser) they tend to spend a lot of their time at the dock. For me renting out is not an option because I don’t want newbies learning to sail and navigate on my boat but lending it out to someone experienced would be a different story. Anyone tried this and want to share the experience? I guess there is lots of things to consider regarding insurance etc
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:50   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Boat swapping?

Party at the yacht club, boat keys dropped in a fishbowl, admirals have the option of staying with their boat. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:23   #3

Boat: Hanse 531

I like it! Now how do u go about finding out who won’t break your boat?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:15   #4

This is regularly done with private homes.

Indeed there are the typical "trust" and liability issues [e.g., property and casualty] to contend with, not dissimilar to say, lending your car to a person to drive, or to lend equipment to others.

The charter fleet is essentially the same practice albeit with paying users but where the owner can opt to use a boat in another location instead of their vessel during "their time" of use.

If the vessel is properly insured, the risk of all or significant damage or liability can be transferred to the underwriter for a fee, albeit ordinary wear and tear of usage is to be expected and would not be covered under any insurance coverage policy that I have seen. The insurance could be provided by the boat owner's policy or by the users policy, or via dual coverage with one being primary.

A boat is just a thing, and things can be shared.

There also being shared cars. It is just that there is a tad more skill and generally much less experience involved in handling a boat than handling a vehicle.

I can recall arranging for sharing a house and a car in different countries with strangers. Both parties drove to their respective nearest airports, just left the keys to the house and the car in the fueling box of the car which was parked at the airport's lot, enjoyed the use of each other's home and vehicle for a week and then returned the vehicle back to the airports. All good with the respective homes and pets being "house setted" during the absence. We did restock the owner's wine cabinet before leaving and of course, did the laundry [towels and bedding] and cleaned the home. The pet's really enjoyed the new company.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:37   #5

It's a rotten idea. It's been around for many, many years and keeps coming up like whack-a-mole! For some reason folks deal with house exchanges (I've done many) and cars (included) as normal everyday occurrences. You can't sink a house and most folks know how to use them and cars.

There is something about a boat that is different. It usually costs a lot less than a house and may even be less complicated, but...

In the 55 years I've been boating and 35 of boat ownership and 20 with this boat, there are only two or three people I know who I would trust with my boat, and one did enjoy a trip on our boat while we were away with a house exchange.

Others may differ.

Quite strongly perhaps, but I've been around on boating forums for 20 years and this bad idea keeps coming up. If it was such a great idea, how come whenever it comes up the person doing so sounds like he just found the holy grail? And how come it's not being done repeatedly and all over? Enough that it wouldn't come as such a "brand new idea?"

signed, your old curmudgeon

PS - I participate in a one-design website. Over 1,800 of my boat was built. I don't recall anyone ever doing it in the past 20 years.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It's a rotten idea. It's been around for many, many years and keeps coming up like whack-a-mole! For some reason folks deal with house exchanges (I've done many) and cars (included) as normal everyday occurrences. You can't sink a house and most folks know how to use them and cars.

There is something about a boat that is different. It usually costs a lot less than a house and may even be less complicated, but...

In the 55 years I've been boating and 35 of boat ownership and 20 with this boat, there are only two or three people I know who I would trust with my boat, and one did enjoy a trip on our boat while we were away with a house exchange.

Others may differ.

Quite strongly perhaps, but I've been around on boating forums for 20 years and this bad idea keeps coming up. If it was such a great idea, how come whenever it comes up the person doing so sounds like he just found the holy grail? And how come it's not being done repeatedly and all over? Enough that it wouldn't come as such a "brand new idea?"

signed, your old curmudgeon

PS - I participate in a one-design website. Over 1,800 of my boat was built. I don't recall anyone ever doing it in the past 20 years.
It's only rotten if the boat is not insured and there is significant damage or liability incurred which would be rare. Your charter fleets are examples of such practice, the only difference being the consideration for the exchange is monetary instead of usage.

In a home there are typically lots of valuables and of course it could be destroyed by fire or simply trashed, which happens very infrequently, just as sinking of a boat would be extremely rare. So rare that I suspect not one in a thousand of the Cruiser forum members have ever lost their vessel to a fire or sinking.

I have utilize AirBNB stays on boats, e.g., on canal boats during business trips to London. Some of the boats allowed for usage others just live aboard.
Similar to staying at someone's home sometimes their private vehicle is allowed to be used and other times it is not allowed to be used.

One just needs to enter into the deal with eyes wide open and provide for the risks that may arise. You never know when the lightning bolt may hit the boat when it is being occupied by someone other than yourself, be that a comparative stranger, a family member, a friend, business associate or a member of another yacht club or a charter organization.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:33   #7

Completely different when you pay than a straight up swap.

Completely.

One is business, other is private.

Insurance isn't an issue.

It's an incomparable comparison.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau 473

As this compared to a house I think most houses are very straight forward. You want lights you turn on a switch, heat..turn on the thermostat, water..no mystery.
I think your boat would have to be 100% free of any quirks. Like turn on switch A then breaker C then..whatever
Charter boats are very straightforward..For the most part. Things kept just as they were from the factory. A boat that has been cruised or owned for a few years tends to have some or many mods that seem perfectly normal to the owner.
That's just one thought. Personally I think it would lead to misunderstanding and sadness. Unless you vet the sh**t out of the people using your boat you won't know what will go on. Pets on board and what goes with that. Kids scratching the woodwork. A few hard dockings and you have structural damage even if it's as simple as crazing around the rubrail. Do you have a rubrail? Many boats out there don't. Insurance? Smoking on board?
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 17:29   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Buy and fit one out for just that purpose.

Keep your dreamboat hidden.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 20:54   #10

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
and keeps coming up like whack-a-mole!

Bwaahhahahahahh love it.
Old 06-03-2019, 20:58   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

We intend to house swap, a little more diligence and I'd boat swap. 1st step would be to swap a letter of record from the insurance company and confirming the boat is covered with another party at the wheel.
Old 06-03-2019, 22:52   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
It's a rotten idea. It's been around for many, many years and keeps coming up like whack-a-mole!
...... You can't sink a house and most folks know how to use them and cars.
I agree, but there is another way to do it if your boat is big enough and outfitted to suit the local attractions

My own boat at 62ft is too custom and precious to me to just let someone sail off with it.

BUT, I have successfully swapped TIME on each others boats in the destination we want to experience and they did the same with ours.

The Owner/Captain stays the same and provides great local knowledge, but the swapping guests get to enjoy the Owner's cabin but not the responsibility of being the Captain

For example:
Zaida really wants to Salmon fish in Alaska or northern BC, which is an area where I have sport fished for many years running Super yachts.

For me to take my Stargazer there from Asia is really a 2 year commitment and I have no intention of wintering in PNW
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	187436

If I could swap Time on a comprable power trawler or pilot house sailboat set up for fishing, in return for me being positioned anywhere in the coral triangle of Philippines/Malaysia/Thailand and/or Indonesia for them to enjoy what's on their bucket list....

That logistically is much easier to do .

Details are fairly simple as it is basically two experienced couples visiting each others boat

First find if you are compatible with the other couple and understand that the local owner is the captain and you are helpful crew....Easily done via video conferencing these days.

Second each Captain suggests the logistics for their area and harmonizes it with their own cruising plans for the season (much easier if you all are retired)

If the desired destination is impractical, compromise.. but still follow the intent of the desired experience.

Be open about positioning and provisioning costs and get that agreed to early as part of a contractual agreement.

Those I have done this with in the past, became friends and we got to enjoy a slice of their life with them....and they with us.

So if anyone wants to cruise/dive SE Asia or visit Komodo dragons on Rinca Island or anywhere else...?
And
They spend their Sumners between Prince William Sound and Qureen Charlotred with a warm boat geared up for salmon and halibut fishing, send me a PM.

I'm game! [emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 23:53   #13

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree, but there is another way to do it if your boat is big enough and outfitted to suit the local attractions

My own boat at 62ft is too custom and precious to me to just let someone sail off with it.

BUT, I have successfully swapped TIME on each others boats in the destination we want to experience and they did the same with ours.

The Owner/Captain stays the same and provides great local knowledge, but the swapping guests get to enjoy the Owner's cabin but not the responsibility of being the Captain

For example:
Zaida really wants to Salmon fish in Alaska or northern BC, which is an area where I have sport fished for many years running Super yachts.

For me to take my Stargazer there from Asia is really a 2 year commitment and I have no intention of wintering in PNW
Attachment 187436

If I could swap Time on a comprable power trawler or pilot house sailboat set up for fishing, in return for me being positioned anywhere in the coral triangle of Philippines/Malaysia/Thailand and/or Indonesia for them to enjoy what's on their bucket list....

Details are fairly simple as it is basically two experienced couples visiting each others boat

First find if you are compatible with the other couple and understand that the local owner is the captain and you are helpful crew....Easily done via video conferencing these days.

Second each Captain suggests the logistics for their area and harmonizes it with their own cruising plans for the season (much easier if you all are retired)

If the desired destination is impractical, compromise.. but still follow the intent of the desired experience.

Be open about positioning and provisioning costs and get that agreed to early as part of a contractual agreement.

Those I have done this with in the past, became friends and we got to enjoy a slice of their life with them....and they with us.

So if anyone wants to cruise/dive SE Asia or visit Komodo dragons on Rinca Island or anywhere else...?
And
They spend their Sumners between Prince William Sound and Qureen Charlotred with a warm boat geared up for salmon and halibut fishing, send me a PM.

I'm game! [emoji4]
I like the idea, if i understand it correctly, you skipper your own boat and take out the other boat owners and their guests , then they take you and your guests out in their boat.
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:14   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Exactly!.... I would think limiting the numbers of visiting guests to 2 we be the most comfortable arrangement for private boats that don't charter.

While our boat sleeps 8, 4 is much nicer and we normally invite other couples
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

For example:

Attachment 187436

And

I'm game! [emoji4]
Now that's a good idea!

What it comes down to is we all have much more invested in out boats than money. We have time. Our lives. You can't insure that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat