Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 07:42   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Marina/mooring options in the Monterey area?

After years of cruising and just being able to anchor in some nook and cranny, I'm now at the mercy of slip availability and am really struggling to understand the demand.

My partner got a job in Monterey and we need to move our 32' boat up there sometime this spring. We won't be living full-time on the boat. We talked to the Monterey marina yesterday, and they told us there's a 20 year waiting list. I guess we didn't do our homework, as this is clearly documented elsewhere, like here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ca-250185.html

Monterey is not a big place, so it blows my mind that there is such an absurd waiting list. Are people in the bay area just parking their boats here, or is the city of Monterey just full of boat owners?

In any case, we're looking at Moss Landing now, but we're open to other suggestions as well -- if there are any. I know there are moorings behind the breakwater at Monterey, but I suspect these are in high demand as well. And I hear Santa Cruz has a similar waiting list.

Bay Area marinas would be too far for us, as we are re-fitting the boat for a trip across the Pacific, and there's not a chance in the world we'd be productive with a 2+ hour commute.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:23   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Marina/mooring options in the Monterey area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Are people in the bay area just parking their boats here, or is the city of Monterey just full of boat owners?
What difference does it make?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:27   #3

Technically none, but maybe in the same way people buying up houses in cities they don't live, making it more difficult/expensive to live in those places when your employment requires, it's unfortunate.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:47   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Technically none, but maybe in the same way people buying up houses in cities they don't live, making it more difficult/expensive to live in those places when your employment requires, it's unfortunate.

Well like you said, maybe you should’ve done your homework before making plans. Every other slip/mooring holder in Monterey has every bit as much right to keep their boats there as anybody else, including you.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:05   #5

I understand. It wouldn't have changed our decision to accept this job, so let's move on from it and focus on options that might be available for someone in my situation.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:10   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I understand. It wouldn't have changed our decision to accept this job, so let's move on from it and focus on options that might be available for someone in my situation.

You have few options. And I think when you investigate Moss Landing, you will find a similar situation there. That said, I have heard anecdotally that sometimes the harbormaster there will find a slip for a short term stay. I think a lot depends upon your attitude when you ask for one.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:17   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

If it was my sailboat and I lived in Monterey I would put in in Alameda......113 miles and about 1.5 hours at normal highway speed up US-101 and I-880 that stretch is relatively uncrowded. The one benefit is there are lots of specialty boat contractors in the the east bay if you need them.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:23   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Marina/mooring options in the Monterey area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
If it was my sailboat and I lived in Monterey I would put in in Alameda......yep 2 hours or less travel time up 101 but its an easy uncrowded drive.

101 and 80 are “easy and uncrowded”? [emoji38]
Old 12-01-2022, 08:29   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Travel that stretch up and down all the time.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:31   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Travel that stretch up and down all the time.

What- at midnight? [emoji38]
Old 12-01-2022, 09:36   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Try paying for "temporary or in transit ", costs more, but it can lead to permanent, move back and forth between Santa Cruz, Monterey and moss moss Landing.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:40   #12

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

And you have 2 marina's in Monterey, the city and private, i believe one gets 2 weeks and it's live aboard, so thats 8 week's before returning to # 1 place.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 19:44   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
If it was my sailboat and I lived in Monterey I would put in in Alameda......113 miles and about 1.5 hours at normal highway speed up US-101 and I-880 that stretch is relatively uncrowded. The one benefit is there are lots of specialty boat contractors in the the east bay if you need them.

This is the best and maybe only option. You could try Half Moon Bay, it might be slightly shorter and more pleasant drive. In either case you'll spend weekends on the boat and find lots of things to research and plan during your time at home during the week. You'll soon get used to the average length (by Bay Area standards) commute to the boat on Friday evening.
Old 12-01-2022, 20:24   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

It sounds like you'd be "transient liveaboards." They might have room for that kind of set up. Also, see if you can walk the docks and chat up people. Maybe see if you can find out who's planning to leave for 6 months or so. Harbor Masters frown on sublets but they might make an exception especially if you keep a tidy boat and are in need of temporary accomodations for work. I don't know what to tell you about 20-year waiting lists. Maybe lower your standards, too. A friend said it took him about 10 years to get a slip in San Francisco. I'm happy with my slips in Oakland. Your mileage (and tolerances) may vary....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 20:36   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
This is the best and maybe only option. You could try Half Moon Bay, it might be slightly shorter and more pleasant drive. In either case you'll spend weekends on the boat and find lots of things to research and plan during your time at home during the week. You'll soon get used to the average length (by Bay Area standards) commute to the boat on Friday evening.
It's been a while since I have been up there but that is what I was thinking too, if Moss Landing doesn't work out. I'd rather drive to Half Moon Bay than Alameda. No offense Alameda, but I grew up in the bay area. You'll get less fog in Alameda though and sailing on the bay is often a little more pleasant.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring