Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2018, 15:41   #1
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20
ICW - Hell's Gate

Did a search here and couldn't find much. Also looked on FB cruiser sites and also didn't find much (found some, but not enough for my liking).

We are northbound on the ICW, currently at Kilkenny Marina in Georgia. Leaving early tomorrow to get to Isle of Hope Marina before the thunderstorms start. Based on current tide info, we think we'll hit Hell's Gate just before high tide.

I've looked at Active Captain and that's been helpful, but I want as much info as I can get. Anyone traverse Hell's Gate? What do we need to know?

As most are aware from my recent posts, I'm a petrified "admiral" that's trying to get over this paranoia. I like lots of info to help me get over it.

If anyone can help before tomorrow morning, it's appreciated.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 17:47   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
ICW - Hell's Gate

We went through about a week ago just after high tide and didn't see less than 9-10 ft if I remember correctly. Went through about 1.5 years ago at low tide and probably had 3' at the lowest.
It’s well marked just make sure you stay in the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 17:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ICW - Hell's Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Did a search here and couldn't find much. Also looked on FB cruiser sites and also didn't find much (found some, but not enough for my liking).

We are northbound on the ICW, currently at Kilkenny Marina in Georgia. Leaving early tomorrow to get to Isle of Hope Marina before the thunderstorms start. Based on current tide info, we think we'll hit Hell's Gate just before high tide.

I've looked at Active Captain and that's been helpful, but I want as much info as I can get. Anyone traverse Hell's Gate? What do we need to know?

As most are aware from my recent posts, I'm a petrified "admiral" that's trying to get over this paranoia. I like lots of info to help me get over it.

If anyone can help before tomorrow morning, it's appreciated.
Howdy!
Going through Hell Gate in NYC has been written about numerous times on CF.

Note the proper name is "Hell Gate."

Here is a list of links mentioning it. Look through the threads, going back several pages. Many tips and comments.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...gate&gsc.sort=

Also, I just sailed offshore from Norfolk to Mystic Connecticut, pulling into Mystic yesterday. We sailed a few miles off Long Island, rounding Montauk.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:08   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy!
Going through Hell Gate in NYC has been written about numerous times on CF.

Note the proper name is "Hell Gate."

Here is a list of links mentioning it. Look through the threads, going back several pages. Many tips and comments.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...gate&gsc.sort=

Also, I just sailed offshore from Norfolk to Mystic Connecticut, pulling into Mystic yesterday. We sailed a few miles off Long Island, rounding Montauk.

Pretty sure he’s talking about Hells Gate in Georgia.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:08   #5

Boat: Whitby 42

They are asking about hells gate in Georgia not NY.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:14   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Went through a few months ago. No issues.

If still concerned, time your passage for mid tide or higher. Tides are your friend in Georgia.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Pretty sure he’s talking about Hells Gate in Georgia.
Ooops!
Was distracted and saw Hells Gate in this and some other thread mentioning NYC, tried to answer both quickly with same answer link. My mistake.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:46   #8
SFS

Went thru several days ago, using Bob Scherer's waypoints, which are are available on Active Captain. No issues.

He also has charted, and I have verified, a new, outside-the-channel route thru the East entrance of the Dawho River, which you will need in a few days. He posts as Bob423 on AC, and his info is gold.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 18:47   #9
SFS

High tides are indeed your friend in GA and SC.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:56   #11
cruiser

Thanks, everyone. Truly appreciate the info. And yes, Hell's Gate in Georgia is what I was talking about. We should be there right before high tide so with any luck, no groundings. I'm feeling much less dread. Thanks.

And thanks for the info on the Dawho River. We'll look that up.
Old 14-05-2018, 04:23   #12

Boat: G-Cat 5 | Hobie 21 SE | S2 9.1

Looks like you have the answers you need, but you should be fine. Our worst transit was about 2 hours off low tide - a mistake. That boat drew 5.5 and we did touch but only briefly at the northernmost end.

Isle of Hope is our home port. Enjoy your stay!
JibGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 09:20   #13
cruiser

It ended up being a non-event. I wish I didn't get so worked up over these things. We hit it right at or close to high tide. Pretty much followed the magenta line and watched our location in relation to the buoys. Depth finder registered nothing shallower than 10' which really means the lowest water we saw was 13'.

I appreciate all the input everyone. Thanks.
Old 14-05-2018, 09:33   #14

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Hell's Gate is nothing compared to McClellanville. We draw 5 feet and watched the depth finder go to minus 6 inches. We just kept plowing ahead. For some reason, we couldn't manage to do high tide from Isle of Palms. See this note.

The waterway south of McClellanville all the way to the Ben Sawyer Bridge has been shoaling for years and we thank Charles Ridley for this reminder warning. SSECN still recommends mid to high tide for passage through this section and see /161140 for another problem with this area.
Traveler 12-29-16. Left Isle of Palms for Harborwalk, Georgetown, SC. If almost 2 hours on either side of low, don’t go thru the stretch of about 10 miles south of McClellandville. If draw over about 2′ won’t make it.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 09:53   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
Hell's Gate is nothing compared to McClellanville. We draw 5 feet and watched the depth finder go to minus 6 inches. We just kept plowing ahead. For some reason, we couldn't manage to do high tide from Isle of Palms. See this note.

The waterway south of McClellanville all the way to the Ben Sawyer Bridge has been shoaling for years and we thank Charles Ridley for this reminder warning. SSECN still recommends mid to high tide for passage through this section and see /161140 for another problem with this area.
Traveler 12-29-16. Left Isle of Palms for Harborwalk, Georgetown, SC. If almost 2 hours on either side of low, don’t go thru the stretch of about 10 miles south of McClellandville. If draw over about 2′ won’t make it.
Thanks for the heads up. According to the 2018 Waterway Guide, the area between Isle of Palms to the Ben Sawyer Bridge has been dredged, but they do give a warning for the area south of McClellanville.

Thanks for the heads up.

Tags
icw