Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 12:52   #1
thh

Crossing Hell Gate

We are planning to pass through Hell Gate with our 30ft O'day Sailboat under Motor (Diesel 16hp) on Monday August 1st in Northeast direction from NY harbor to the Long Island Sound.

The Current turns Northeast at 5:44 AM Does that mean we should be at Hell gate at 5:44 or can we use the current running up the east river and then pass hell gate at around 7-8 AM.

Anyone has experience with that and can give us some advice.
thh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:01   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Crossing Hell Gate

No need to wait for slack water--just make sure the current is with you and enjoy the ride. Give the ferry terminal a wide berth, and the worst of the traffic tails off after the Brooklyn Bridge
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:04   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving

with that kind of HP and speed you need to be at hells gate at SLACK tide if possible, either dead high or dead low,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:41   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
You want be at hells gate slack tide. Use tides for hells gate wards island. Not just hells gate. I just went in east river the battery had the tide rising. This is weird but if you check tides you will see. Entered 1 hour before low tide at hells gate. The incoming current carried me up the east river. Hit hells gate and was carried out on the tide going to throgs neck. The Harlem river is changing the tidal times by as much as 4 hours which is why this is possible. Very weird check tide times at the battery hells gate and throgs neck. I missed slack by a tad coming the other way. Same story though I road a risin tide in and out. It's a weird piece. Sometimes the water does a boiling thing and there can be whirlpools. The transition zone can be rough with small turbulent rip currents and waves. Done this many times if I can help more let me know
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:06   #5

The battery low tide will be 4:11 am
High at 10:01
Hell gate low is 7:56 you enter east river at 6:50am ride up the tide arrive at the gate at 7:56 with hardly using the motor. If you miss it by a little no big deal. Looks like you won't quite ketch it going out throgs neck low on august 1 is 7:24. No big deal. before wards island and through to the bridges is where the currents are. Check your navigation. Walk through the turns in your head you want Roosevelt island stbd. After Roosevelt you turn stbd tword the point. Head fo the 2 bridges follow the channel on the port side forget cutting between the brother loop around less confusing
Old 27-07-2011, 14:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'd say there's no problem cutting between the Brothers and if you feel comfortable at 11 or 12 knots, then keep your speed up for more control. There's little treacherous about Hell's Gate, just don't make it the long 1 knot slog.
Old 27-07-2011, 14:29   #7

I agree about the brothers. But there are lords markers in there. If your nervous about the gate going around is easier. More a comfort thing. But it's a cool place to be going through so take time be safe. Ais is awesome it made it easy to call ships by name and confirm what we were doing. Cheap piece of gear for the value
Old 27-07-2011, 16:42   #8
thh

Hi, thanks for this detailed asnwer. However, do you have any idea why the 2011 Eldridge has the Northeast Flood starting at Hell Gate at 5:44 AM
Old 27-07-2011, 16:55   #9

Some one will know the answer. What I found was 2 times one is he'll gate which is way off for what your doing the other is he'll gate ward island. The time between the 2 are off. You are most likely using an Internet program to find the time. I was confused at first I went with data that specified wards island which agreed with my gps data. The info I gave you comes from a far in g.ps which was matched with a good tide app stating wards island.
Old 27-07-2011, 16:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Some one will know the answer. What I found was 2 times one is he'll gate which is way off for what your doing the other is he'll gate ward island. The time between the 2 are off. You are most likely using an Internet program to find the time. I was confused at first I went with data that specified wards island which agreed with my gps data. The info I gave you comes from a far in g.ps which was matched with a good tide app stating wards island.
Garmin gps
Old 27-07-2011, 16:59   #11
thh

Thanks, I found the same low tide information for HG that you have, what's condusing to me is the Eldridge information about the current turns which is off by almost 2 hrs.
Old 27-07-2011, 17:12   #12

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Eldridge is not wrong........Most folks just do not understand that TIDE (the height of the water) and CURRENT (the velocity and direction of flow) are two different things, and do not neccessaraly coincide, especcially on the East River and the Hudson River. There is an approximatly (depending on actual location) a two hour difference between Tide and Current on these bodies of water. Eldridge shows this very clearly with its diagrams and tables.Trust what you read, and make sure you understand what you read!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:18   #13
thh

Good point and I do understand this. I also understand the relationsship between the two. But in this case -it's Hell Gate - this seems to be a little different and that is probably also why the eldridge reports the current for this location - so what do you go by - the tidal situation or the current?
Old 27-07-2011, 17:26   #14

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Since the East River accomodates seagoing traffic, tide is likely not a concern. Current however, is a major concern, since the velocity of flow can be 5 or more knots.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:37   #15

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Pull in to the Worlds Fair Marina for the night and go to Main St Flushing, best Asian food this side of Thailand. Flat out awesome. Check out Chowhound online for current reviews.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote