Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 10:29   #16

Re: ICW - Hell's Gate

Go through 2 hours BEFORE high tide.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:10   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

FWIW, we went through Isle of Palms/McClellanville, both directions (January first, and then March), and never saw less than about 8-9' if I remember right. Timing was between 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide.

-Chris
Old 14-05-2018, 14:59   #18

I traveled through Hell Gate about three

weeks ago, heading south. We went through about an hour before high tide and I never saw depths below nine feet. I found the section around McClellanville to be much more harrowing -- I went through right at high tide and although the lowest depth I saw in the channel was about six feet (I draw 3.5 feet), some idiot had put crab pots in the channel and in the process of avoiding them I managed to encounter 3.5 feet slightly outside the channel. Fortunately, I never touched the bottom and was able to get back into the channel quickly.
Bibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:25   #19

Boat: Krogen 42

In GA it is HELL GATE.
Old 14-05-2018, 18:06   #20
SFS

Came from Whiteside Creek (northeast of Charleston) through McLellanville today from 2 hours before high tide to about an hour after. Never saw less than 8 feet, but it's not a relaxing journey. It wouldn't be doable at less than half tide. There are other thin spots between there and Georgetown.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 19:35   #21

Hi. Went thru Hells Gate at low tide yesterday. Very narrow channel, well marked, 3 feet at low tide. Would expect you to see 7’ or better near high tide.
Lost n Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 22:49   #22

Boat: Vancouver 27

@CaptsWife, that's a really beautiful stretch of ICW! Frustrating the times you find yourself on a course meandering 180' from the objective against a ripping tide, eyes glued to the depth sounder, but a wonderful area of the country I would not choose to see any other way. Enjoy!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lost n Whaler.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 14:39   #24
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
@CaptsWife, that's a really beautiful stretch of ICW! Frustrating the times you find yourself on a course meandering 180' from the objective against a ripping tide, eyes glued to the depth sounder, but a wonderful area of the country I would not choose to see any other way. Enjoy!
I have to say, aside from being a Nervous Nellie about Hell's Gate (or Hell Gate or Hells Gate), you are right, it was a BEAUTIFUL trip. Very peaceful with almost no wind. It was a lovely day.

Not sure what's up with those green-headed flies, though. There were hundreds, but at least they didn't bite. They just hung out on the fabric of the bimini and dodger.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 15:07   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Did a search here and couldn't find much. Also looked on FB cruiser sites and also didn't find much (found some, but not enough for my liking).

We are northbound on the ICW, currently at Kilkenny Marina in Georgia. Leaving early tomorrow to get to Isle of Hope Marina before the thunderstorms start. Based on current tide info, we think we'll hit Hell's Gate just before high tide.

I've looked at Active Captain and that's been helpful, but I want as much info as I can get. Anyone traverse Hell's Gate? What do we need to know?

As most are aware from my recent posts, I'm a petrified "admiral" that's trying to get over this paranoia. I like lots of info to help me get over it.

If anyone can help before tomorrow morning, it's appreciated.
I went through last Fall with my 6’4” draft boatat high tide slack current and had lots of water (i would be more concerned that you don’t hit at max current). In fact it wasn’t even the worst of that day. GA andSC just need more tide planning for trips
Old 15-05-2018, 15:48   #26

Boat: Bristol 41.1

On one occasion, we had a small pile of deceased flies in the corner of our cockpit when transiting the ditch. And the "no-seeums"? Cruising can be a challenge. On the other hand, some of the anchorages in the Georgia marshes are beyond compare. Also read Langston Hughes writings about this area.

The rise and fall of the tides are not in a linear fashion. See the rule of 12th's: https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...ide-prediction

Basically, the rate of tidal change slows when you approach either low water or high water mark. That is, there is little gain to be had (or lost) by waiting for absolute high water. Your most practical approach is the two (or so) hours either side of high water. Note that this also will come into play when tidal current flow is against you. Case in point, the Elliott Cut, south of Charleston.

There are so many attractions along the way, both natural and man made. Enjoy your voyage.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw