Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 05:18   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Hypalon glue brands

Is there a difference in quality/performance from what appears to be a more name brand like Poly Marine (more expensive) than some of the other brands like Weaver which is a good bit cheaper.

I have a few areas on a West Marine Hypalon dinghy I need to fix and don't want to save move on supplies if it means inferior supplies.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:58   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'
Re: Hypalon glue brands

Good Morning. Just my opinion, don't use the west marined stuff if you want it to last longer than a couple of days. I bought a tube of their Hyp repair adhesive and it was a joke. There are some very good epoxies out there, even some aviation based stuff (1300L) for example. I would recommend calling a dinghy sales agent to inquire.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:18   #3

I have very good experience with Clifton's Hypalon Glue.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1904/cli...hesive-fa-4844

I have a 30+ year old Avon and have some repairs, using Clifton's, that are 10 years old and still holding up fine. As with all glues, following the directions as closely as possible.

I have also used Clifton's PVC glue. It's well known PVC does not glue as well as Hypalon. The Clifton's was the best glue I could find. I had a Bombardier PVC RIB with the floor glued to the tubes with a 1 inch strip of fabric. After years of problems keeping it together I added some wider strips of PVC fabric glued with the Clifton's PVC glue. It would hold together for a couple of years but it was a constant issue.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:02   #4

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Rima Tip Top SC2000. Industrial rubber glue for conveyor belts. Glues Hypalon boats for life
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 14:30   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
Rima Tip Top SC2000. Industrial rubber glue for conveyor belts. Glues Hypalon boats for life

Agreed with enthusiasm! Good stuff, and it has a long shelf life, even after opening... something quite lacking in many of the "marine" glues.

In some locales it has been replaced with SC4000 due to safety rules... has to do with the SC2000 having toluene as its primary solvent. The SC4000 seems to have very similar properties in my limited experience with it.

Jim
Old 09-09-2020, 14:30   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
^^^^^This. It is also great below the waterline on the dinghy. If you cannot get the 2000, the 4000 works well, too. The catalyst keeps well in the fridge, and the rubbery part lasts a long time. It does not go off in the tin like Bostik.

Ann
Old 09-09-2020, 14:51   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

About the only hypalon glue you can get in Panama is the Tip Top. Expensive!!! But it does work well. Used it on my Achilles over 10 years ago and it’s still stuck. Don’t buy more than you need. The rubber will still be good years later in the can, but the hardener qwilll crystaize in months. And nobody will sell just the hardener.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 15:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
About the only hypalon glue you can get in Panama is the Tip Top. Expensive!!! But it does work well. Used it on my Achilles over 10 years ago and it’s still stuck. Don’t buy more than you need. The rubber will still be good years later in the can, but the hardener qwilll crystaize in months. And nobody will sell just the hardener.
As Ann said above, if you keep the catalyst in the fridge it lasts a long time... like a year or more. And for that matter, it is a catalyst, not a "hardener" like in epoxies, where it is a required part of the chemistry. SC2000 will work without the catalyst, but at a much slower cure time in the event your catalyst dies or is lost.

Jim
Old 09-09-2020, 19:34   #9

Boat: Norseman 447

Yes, chemically it is a catalyst, but this isn’t a chemistry class. Yes, the catalyst will keep longer in the fridge than at room temperature here. I’ve never had it keep more than six months even in the fridge. I didn’t try a freeze. Yes, it will eventually harden without the catalyst. If you’ve got that much time to wait, use 5200. It sticks too and is a lot cheaper.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:58   #10

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Agreed with enthusiasm! Good stuff, and it has a long shelf life, even after opening... something quite lacking in many of the "marine" glues.

In some locales it has been replaced with SC4000 due to safety rules... has to do with the SC2000 having toluene as its primary solvent. The SC4000 seems to have very similar properties in my limited experience with it.

Jim

Hey Jim. I ordered some SC4000 this morning. Now reading through the instructions online I see it says to prep the area first with ‘Rema #50’ solvent. Is what you did?
I will add that stuff to my order if I have to - but if anyone here with experience figures I can use acetone or something instead, then I will skip it.
The ingredients of the Rema 50 are -Cyclohexane, and Ethyl acetate.

Thanks!
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 10:12   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Using a genuine Hypalon glue I think best BUT if you're in some out of the way place without access to fancy goops plain old 3M 5200 works. It also will bond PVC to Hypalon.

My old Avon has a PVC rub rail but Hypalon tubes. Tried two different products to reattach them one side with 5200. 4-5 years later still firmly glued together.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 10:18   #12

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Thank you. We’ve definitely given up on the zodiac brand glue- no luck with that stuff though apparently it has a few variations in formula. Yes it is difficult to get supplies here.

Mainly I was wondering about the surface prep and whether acetone would do the trick or whether I should bite the bullet and order the poison mentioned above
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:08   #13

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Whilst cruising around the Pacific we twice had our stash of hypalon glue die of old age in less than a year whilst unopened in their packaging, so on the day that we finally needed some we were (or at least thought we were) stuffed. Fortunately we were told - as Skipmac notes above - that 5200 works; it didn't result in the neatest of repairs, but at least it did still work after nine months in a locker.
Old 29-04-2021, 13:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Thank you. We’ve definitely given up on the zodiac brand glue- no luck with that stuff though apparently it has a few variations in formula. Yes it is difficult to get supplies here.

Mainly I was wondering about the surface prep and whether acetone would do the trick or whether I should bite the bullet and order the poison mentioned above
At the time we were using lots of SC2000 no one mentioned the Rema primer. I used acetone for final cleaning (after thorough sanding) and it did work. Might work even better with the "real" stuff... who knows?

Jim
Old 29-04-2021, 15:11   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I've found this stuff awful handy for rubber dinks. Sets fairly quickly.
Flexset.
Marine-Tex® FlexSet | Marine Tex