Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 10:30   #16

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Hurricane Holes in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I hadn’t considered the long trip against the trades back to the Eastern Caribbean from points further west. Central America would be further west than my home state of Florida so is probably out of the question. The ABC islands look to be about 500 miles downwind from Grenada. Seems like the trip from Bonaire to Grenada would be long and miserable. Although not 100% hurricane safe, Grenada might be the best alternative for me especially if insurable there. I know all about Hurricane Ivan. After hitting Grenada, it made it all the way to my home town in Florida with devastating consequences. Interesting comment about the safe line being 10 degrees north and running through Southern Grenada according to the insurance companies. Unless Google Earth is wrong, Southern Grenada is 11.59 degrees north. It is the south shore of Trinidad and Tobago that is 10.0 degrees north. But if insurance companies are OK with Southern Grenada then that’s great. A quick view from Google Earth shows Trinidad and Tobago to be pretty industrial and lacking any areas with significant numbers of yachts in the water or hauled out. On the other hand, Clarkes Court Marina and Boatyard in Southern Grenada looks like a great place to haulout. Rows and rows of large catamarans and monohulls. Their website gives the impression it is a first class marina. Anyone have any experience with them?
From the ABC's to lesser Antilles best to sail NNE to Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands and start island hopping from there.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:32   #17

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Actually you dont have to claw all the way back against the Trades from the W Carib to get to Florida. The usual route from the NW Carib is to sail up to Isla Mujeres, wait for a window, then jump to Florida. Where in Florida do you need to get to?

From the SW Carib it can be a bit more arduous, but its not uncommon. For example, from W Panama or Colombia wait for a window and jump N as far as possible then work your way on up to FL.

Rarely does anyone from the W Carib claw their way all the way back agaisnt the Trades to the E Carib...though I think there are a few folks on here who have done that. There is no reason to in order to get to FL.

Also: we got planes now ya know. Why not just stow the boat and fly back?
Actually my goal is to keep her in the Caribbean year round including during hurricane season. I'm not trying to sail her back to Florida. I will be flying back and forth from Florida to the boat. Since my preferred area to sail is the Eastern Caribbean, I was only comparing how far west Central America is from the Eastern Caribbean. In comparison to Florida, Central America would be even further west. So sailing to and holing up in Central America during hurricane season and then trying to get back to the Eastern Caribbean after the season would seem to be even worse than the "thorny path" from Florida to the Caribbean. I wouldn't have that kind of time until fully retired.
I checked out your link to NOAA hurricane tracking history and its fantastic.
It kind of helps you calculate your odds. Thanks for the input.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:44   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hurricane Holes in the Caribbean

Well, if you want to be safe for sure (more or less) head for Bonaire or Curacao for the hurricane season.
From there to St Martin is less than 500nm or a 3-4 days sail with winds just fore of the beam.. winds are usually S of E around December onwards.. make your insurers happy.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:06   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Actually my goal is to keep her in the Caribbean year round including during hurricane season. I'm not trying to sail her back to Florida. I will be flying back and forth from Florida to the boat. Since my preferred area to sail is the Eastern Caribbean, I was only comparing how far west Central America is from the Eastern Caribbean. In comparison to Florida, Central America would be even further west. So sailing to and holing up in Central America during hurricane season and then trying to get back to the Eastern Caribbean after the season would seem to be even worse than the "thorny path" from Florida to the Caribbean. I wouldn't have that kind of time until fully retired.

I checked out your link to NOAA hurricane tracking history and its fantastic.

It kind of helps you calculate your odds. Thanks for the input.
I misunderstood your post. If you prefer the E Carib, then I agree, dont try to stow your boat in the W Carib. As others have suggested Grenada or Trinidad are the most straight forward options. Grenada has only been hit once in my memory, but it was a bad one (friends of mine were there). It is quite a pleasant island with good marine services.

You're welcome.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:08   #20

Quote:
A quick view from Google Earth shows Trinidad and Tobago to be pretty industrial and lacking any areas with significant numbers of yachts in the water or hauled out. On the other hand, Clarkes Court Marina and Boatyard in Southern Grenada looks like a great place to haulout. Rows and rows of large catamarans and monohulls. Their website gives the impression it is a first class marina. Anyone have any experience with them?
I normal times hundreds of sailboats spent the hurricane season at Chaguaramas on Trinidad. At least 4 important wharfs to store you boat on the hard (not that many in the water) and all kinds of craftsmen. Cheaper than (most?) other countries but more expensive that Guatemala.
Direct flights to the US.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:47   #21

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I based in Trinidad for 7-8 years, back when Peakes was just opening and Cruise Inn was a Bauxite wharf. Great marine services, reasonable rates, and a real cultural blend of people and activities, from Carnival to opera. Provisions are readily available. I would do it again with nor hesitations.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 13:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
I normal times hundreds of sailboats spent the hurricane season at Chaguaramas on Trinidad. At least 4 important wharfs to store you boat on the hard (not that many in the water) and all kinds of craftsmen. Cheaper than (most?) other countries but more expensive that Guatemala.
Direct flights to the US.
I hadn't noticed all the boats in Chaguaramas but see them now.
How would you rate the security in general in Trinidad compared to other islands in the area?
Old 06-06-2021, 13:29   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I hadn’t considered the long trip against the trades back to the Eastern Caribbean from points further west. Central America would be further west than my home state of Florida so is probably out of the question. The ABC islands look to be about 500 miles downwind from Grenada. Seems like the trip from Bonaire to Grenada would be long and miserable. Although not 100% hurricane safe, Grenada might be the best alternative for me especially if insurable there. I know all about Hurricane Ivan. After hitting Grenada, it made it all the way to my home town in Florida with devastating consequences. Interesting comment about the safe line being 10 degrees north and running through Southern Grenada according to the insurance companies. Unless Google Earth is wrong, Southern Grenada is 11.59 degrees north. It is the south shore of Trinidad and Tobago that is 10.0 degrees north. But if insurance companies are OK with Southern Grenada then that’s great. A quick view from Google Earth shows Trinidad and Tobago to be pretty industrial and lacking any areas with significant numbers of yachts in the water or hauled out. On the other hand, Clarkes Court Marina and Boatyard in Southern Grenada looks like a great place to haulout. Rows and rows of large catamarans and monohulls. Their website gives the impression it is a first class marina. Anyone have any experience with them?
Sorry, I had my degrees mixed up, it was +/- 12. I have hauled at Grenada Marine and Spice Island. Both are fine with professional services available. Probably a bit better at SI. Grenada Marine is sort of the middle of nowhere. Same applies to Clarke Court which I have also heard good things about.
Old 06-06-2021, 13:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well, if you want to be safe for sure (more or less) head for Bonaire or Curacao for the hurricane season.
From there to St Martin is less than 500nm or a 3-4 days sail with winds just fore of the beam.. winds are usually S of E around December onwards.. make your insurers happy.
Actually that's an interesting idea. Basically repeating a year long clockwise circle through the Eastern Caribbean and timing it to be in Bonaire or Curacao during hurricane season. Then completing the circle back to BVI or St. Martin. And the entire circle would have good wind direction. I like it.
Old 06-06-2021, 13:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
From the ABC's to lesser Antilles best to sail NNE to Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands and start island hopping from there.
I guess you were saying the same thing. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 13:39   #26
Marine Service Provider

As mentioned, insurance companies look at areas south of 11 or 10 degrees north to charge less. The Rio Dulce is not south of insurance company limits but is held out to be a great hurricane hole. Also take a look at the new developments at Luperon, D.R. (also to far too far north for the reduced insurance) but worth a look as a hurricane hole.

Nanny Cay on Tortola was widely ballyhooed as the "only insurance company approved hurricane hole in the BVI." Then along came IRMA. My boat at Nanny Cay sustained $166,000 in damage, all covered by my insurance. If I wanted the same coverage today it would be double.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 14:32   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
As mentioned, insurance companies look at areas south of 11 or 10 degrees north to charge less. The Rio Dulce is not south of insurance company limits but is held out to be a great hurricane hole. Also take a look at the new developments at Luperon, D.R. (also to far too far north for the reduced insurance) but worth a look as a hurricane hole.

Nanny Cay on Tortola was widely ballyhooed as the "only insurance company approved hurricane hole in the BVI." Then along came IRMA. My boat at Nanny Cay sustained $166,000 in damage, all covered by my insurance. If I wanted the same coverage today it would be double.
True, the Rio Dulce is solidly inside the usual "named storm box" and underwriters being pasty white bean counters locked on offices who know nothing of such matters sometimes take issue with that.

What is new in Luperon?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 14:44   #28

Quote:
I hadn't noticed all the boats in Chaguaramas but see them now.
How would you rate the security in general in Trinidad compared to other islands in the area?
The yards are guarded day and night.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 16:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
current issue of Caribbean Compass has an article on hurricanes and where they have hit in the Caribbean
Interesting article and great overall publication. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 16:27   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post

To be accurate, nowhere in the BVI was spared, and Nanny Cay did better than all the others there, and probably better than others, anywhere, that fell within the eye. Many strapped down cats did OK. Most mono's fell over, in series, and damaged one another. My two choices, based upon actually being there, would be Nanny Cay and Puerto del Rey. NOwhere would have been safe with a direct hit from Irma. Were you there? I was, and my boat survived, in Village Cay, of all places, but it was the only cat to do so. It was secured with 35 lines and the anchor chain around a piling. When 60 foot cats are flying around fifty feet in the air, and loaded containers fly several miles, I don't think it's very fair to point at a particular marina, which, in fact, did better than the others. It speaks more to the point of not being where winds exceed 250 MPH, as happened with Irma. And, no, I don't work for Nanny Cay, but I do know it well and don't think your comment was fair.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, hurricane, rib