Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 07:56   #46

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: How to handle a stranger's request to come aboard for a look.

The first thing I would do is ask the wife. She is more in charge of the inside and always wants to have a quick clean up before any guests arrive.
I think you would need to assess each situation individually. As Tomfl says, there’s a difference between people strolling along a dock and from another boat at anchor.
I would certainly ask them some questions if a stranger(s) wanted to come aboard. That way you can better assess their motives, and if they seemed genuine and honourable I would ask them to come back in an hour. If they did it would show a measure of serious interest, if they didn’t, then what’s lost - except for the wife having a whip round?
JR
Old 27-09-2017, 08:43   #47

Back in the 60s & 70s when most yachts were one off architect designed, & often unique, a boat crawl was a common way to spend some time. In those days we mostly rowed our tenders, & would chat to people on boats as we rowed past, which often resulted in an invitation.

Checking out the ideas in the fit out of other boats provided ideas for your own. When I bought my one of racer, & refitted it for cruising, most of the design came from ideas gathered on these boat crawls.

When she was finished I was very happy & proud of how she had turned out. I loved showing some of the cleaver space saving systems to anyone interested.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 08:53   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheCoop View Post
We were in a bay with a number of other boats when along came a very nice couple in a tender saying they were thinking of buying a catamaran and was it possible to come on board for a look. No introductions or other other small talk. I politely refused and said we were having lunch right now but they were welcome to check back later.

On one hand it's a nice complement, on the other, an invasion of privacy.

Just interested in how other cruisers have handled the same request.
Just say no! If someone rang the doorbell of your house and wanted s tour would you give them one?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:19   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

We're having the floors sanded and varnished today, can you come back in two days after that's all done and dried?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 13:59   #50

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

while in E. Tawas, over the 4th of July, saw a nice C-30 and walked over two slips to look. I was talking with my brother about the boat, when just then the owners voice boomed out to come down the walk way and have a look. He invited us on board and gave us the tour. The whole time his wife (obvious signs of chemotherapy) joyfully lead the way. This boat had loads of custom canvas work done on the cockpit, and was for sale for dirt cheap. We thank them and when I got home to square things at the bank to try to but this boat I found out that he had sold it later that day I visited. Doubt I will ever see him again but Ill never forget that boat!! This guy, even with his wife going thru chemo, took time out to show us his fabulous C-30.
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 14:04   #51

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
We're having the floors sanded and varnished today, can you come back in two days after that's all done and dried?
My wife's Leprosy is acting up again, and she's in a really bad mood.
How about next week?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 14:28   #52

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I have this happen quite often. I keep the boat in various marinas around Florida and often get put in the promenade area because of the size. People from restaurants come down with drinks and ask a million questions. Typically I tell them I don't give boat shows. I usually can tell if another sailor is interested because he would never ask. In that case the conversation turns technical and I'm proud to show it. After all I paid to take care of it and will someday pass it on the next caretaker.

One time I came back to the boat in Pier 66 marina and 5 people were on the boat taking pictures of themselves. When I boarded the wanted me to open it up and look around. I asked them to leave. They didn't have a clue they were trespassing.

Often I tell folks that don't know boats and are just strolling, that the owner isn't favorable to guests without appointments, and I could be in trouble. I'm just the Captain and deckhand.

I try not to be rude, nor do I allow crew to be offensive. People remember the boat and I fear vandalism may result. Then there are those that just stand there and stare and you can tell that they are out to sea in your boat having the thrill of their life.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:09   #53

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Many people in tourist areas and mostly non-liveabord boat owners view other boats as part of their weekend experience. Stopping other people to view their home is not even thought of as an inconvenience to the boat owner. Tying to my boat at anchor without asking is not acceptable. As a commercial fisherman, I had people come on the boat and into the cabin "to look around". Hearing steps on the deck above, I've come into the wheelhouse to see half a dozen people looking, touching and picking up items. I ran them off as I do everyone else I don't know or haven't had some prior conservation.
I'm tired of nosy people. I bet the people in the original post just wanted to snoop and the "thinking of buying" was just their made up story to get aboard.
No I am not very social, but people made me this way.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:27   #54

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I find, if you remind them, it is your home that will discourage them. If not, ask their address so you can come and inspect their home. That's when, if ever, they see the light.

If someone has the guts to walk onto my boat and especially into the boat uninvited and I can get to my shotgun, they will be leaving via the water.

I was broken into one night and they took my wallet. That's when I bought a shotgun, told the marina office, I am now a crazy old man with a shotgun. People will not be leaving via the dock. I guess one day, I ought to buy shells for the gun. SMIRK
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just say no! If someone rang the doorbell of your house and wanted s tour would you give them one?
I see you are " on the boat somewhere " ,, presumably you have now sold the afore mentioned house and are now cruising , why ? If not to leave behind the taboos and paranoias of shore based existence .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:46   #56

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Another benefit of living on a boat. Don't like the neighborhood or neighbors, much easier to untie and seek another anchorage. Selling a house can take lots of time. LOL
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 16:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Can I presume that it was actually your boat that was tied to the tree?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You know a young man and his boat are as one. Where you found me, you would find the boat.
Old 27-09-2017, 16:08   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

There really are different cruising worlds out there…

In my nearly two decades of boating, extensive seasonal cruising, and now calling the boat home for the nearly three years, I have never, EVER, had someone step onto my boat that wasn’t welcomed. Where are these places that people just walk onto boats uninvited? And where are these places where you have to be fearful of someone asking to come on board? It’s just not part of my boating experience.

I’ve had innumerable folks come (invited) on board. And I’ve been able to tour dozens, perhaps hundreds, of other boats over the years as an invited guest. It’s a normal part of cruising. You meet new people, you chat, and if there is interest you have them come on board and/or you go check out their floating digs.

If you boat in an area which is so sketchy that you can’t trust most people around you, then I suggest you sail to somewhere different. It’s a big world out there. Most people, and most places, are pretty descent.
Old 27-09-2017, 16:33   #59
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
. ....Where are these places that people just walk onto boats uninvited?
Ironically Mike, they are in the more developed countries and Marinas, where other small boat owners feel they have a right to step on board.... for a quick look, or peer in the windows.

Have had it happen enough in Sydney, Auckland, Seattle, Vancouver etc.... on Super yachts that we had to put up a 'No Trespass' sign.

In the less developed countries, the people know that property owners will not treat them kindly if they trespass.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 16:40   #60

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

We've had people come aside at the marina expressing wonder and curiosity of our boat. Most invited to come aboard have declined the invitation.

Tags
ranger