Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 16:49   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How to handle a stranger's request to come aboard for a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ironically Mike, they are in the more developed countries and Marinas, where other small boat owners feel they have a right to step on board.... for a quick look, or peer in the windows.

Have had it happen enough in Sydney, Auckland, Seattle, Vancouver etc.... on Super yachts that we had to put up a 'No Trespass' sign.

In the less developed countries, the people know that property owners will not treat them kindly if they trespass.
I admit, I don’t spend much time in large urban areas, busy anchorages, or marinas in general. Although... I am currently hanging out at the yacht club in Newfoundland’s second largest city. That’s gotta count for something

Seriously though … it’s just not something I’ve ever experienced. Maybe my boats have been less interesting to others. No super yachts for me, that’s for sure. But I have heard a six year old get all excited walking down the dock and pointing at our boat saying “LOOK AT THE PIRATE SHIP!” I guess the traditional ratlines give her that look.

She (and her father) got an immediate invite to come aboard
Old 27-09-2017, 17:14   #62

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I ways tied to the dock in a gated condo community and marina in Adventure FL. I have had 2 dock boxes broken into and things taken, had a battery operated scooter stolen, had the doors locked and they were able to defeat the lock, enter the boat and stole my wallet while I was asleep in my stateroom. While in the yard, broken into and had a nav computer stolen. This boat has better door locks and the owner has a pump 12ga.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 20:20   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The OP is asking for opinions on how to politely deny people a tour of their boat. They are not asking if it's a good idea. I don't believe it is being unpolite to want privacy on your own boat, especially with people you don't know . It is not being unfriendly. People come on this forum to get questions answered, not to be schooled about how they are wrong.
The OP asked how others "handle the request". I handle the request by giving them a tour. I think you misinterpreted the question.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 20:38   #64

Boat: 130' Wooden sailing Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There really are different cruising worlds out there…

In my nearly two decades of boating, extensive seasonal cruising, and now calling the boat home for the nearly three years, I have never, EVER, had someone step onto my boat that wasn’t welcomed. Where are these places that people just walk onto boats uninvited? And where are these places where you have to be fearful of someone asking to come on board? It’s just not part of my boating experience.

I’ve had innumerable folks come (invited) on board. And I’ve been able to tour dozens, perhaps hundreds, of other boats over the years as an invited guest. It’s a normal part of cruising. You meet new people, you chat, and if there is interest you have them come on board and/or you go check out their floating digs.

If you boat in an area which is so sketchy that you can’t trust most people around you, then I suggest you sail to somewhere different. It’s a big world out there. Most people, and most places, are pretty descent.
Hear Hear!!! Couldnt agree more!
Julian Alcorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 04:17   #65

I was asked to mind the spare parts shop for one of the large traders in Rabaul New Guinea, while the manager went on a 2 month long leave. A requirement of this was I had to live in the managers house with both phone & radio communication gear, for distant plantation & logging companies to contact me at night.

My yacht was anchored about 200 yards off the yacht club. On about 4 occasions in a 3 month period, on boarding the boat I found a ring of frangipani flowers in the cockpit. Many of the locals would wear one of these around their heads.

Obviously a local had swum out to the yacht, & probably slept the night there. Nothing, even food, was ever touched, & I found no sign of damage.

Perhaps the fuzzy wussies of New Guinea are more honest than the folk of western countries.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 08:29   #66

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

If you really don't want people coming aboard, get a small, uncomfortable boat. Most non-sailors can't even figure out how to get down our companionway!

It's a hoot the difference between having sailors over vs lay people. Laypersons generally look very uncomfortable and awkward moving around your boat, plus you usually have to coach them: "hold onto that to get out of the dinghy", "yes, you can sit there", "turn around to come down the companionway", etc. Or when you're trying to sail, they find a way to position themselves between you and whatever line you need to pull.

Meanwhile, with most sailors you can continue your conversation, cocktail in hand, while they pull the lines for you!
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 08:55   #67

Boat: Camano Troll

It's hard to believe over sixty replies to a question like this. If you want to show off your boat, you let the people in and show it off. If you don't, just decline. Try to be polite if you can.

I would have though most folks could have figured this out by themselves.
Old 28-09-2017, 12:59   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's hard to believe over sixty replies to a question like this. If you want to show off your boat, you let the people in and show it off. If you don't, just decline. Try to be polite if you can.

I would have though most folks could have figured this out by themselves.
There ya go! A simple, effective solution that does not require social engineering, high IQ or firearms to carry out.

Right on, Ron!

Jim

Tags
ranger