Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: How can I be sure my rigging is good?

Scoobert, I don't know much about the cruise you contemplating, but what about a shake down trip.
Out for 12/24hours, into some rough water, and back to your slip.

You will learn a heap about your boat, discover a few hatch leaks etc that need fixing and it gives you a chance to inspect all these areas that have not been subject to any real test for a decade.

You will be able to set off again and you will be much better prepared.

Just my 2c
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I went up today. The rigging ends at the spreaders. All are flawless.
Yes. Not going to use the mizzen going downwind.
Can you clarify this? Surely you don't mean that the rigging stops at the spreaders, do you? Because it doesn't, I hope.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Scoobert you may want to look at some of these free downloads. Perhaps download a bunch and refer to them while underway even if there is no time to read them now.

Once you're on your way, you're not going to be able to contact people for advice.

http://www.libramar.net/news/navigation/1-0-29

Start with this one

http://www.libramar.net/news/illustr...2012-07-10-680
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13   #79

Burch's book is very good.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17   #80

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Good thread Scoob. Quite a few very experienced cruisers spooked by the rigging being 32yrs old so its worth a review of your tests. Did you use dye penetration tests to check for surface cracking? You probably should.
Maybe the rigging has spent its life in fresh water rivers and lakes and it is OK???
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:59   #81

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

On the mooring, you are still getting cycle loading as the boat rocks. Its a good idea to use the dye penetration test if you don't have experience inspecting rigging. I have pointed out hairline cracks to people that I have done rigging inspections for and they were still unable to see them until the dye went on. I would be very surprised if there were no problems found on a 32 year old rig!
Old 02-11-2013, 13:47   #82
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
On the mooring, you are still getting cycle loading as the boat rocks. Its a good idea to use the dye penetration test if you don't have experience inspecting rigging. I have pointed out hairline cracks to people that I have done rigging inspections for and they were still unable to see them until the dye went on. I would be very surprised if there were no problems found on a 32 year old rig!

i know for a fact the entire rig is not 32. i have a spare, that was replaced. i just do not know when, so i say 32. next year i can tell you when it was replaced. lol

a shakedown cruise will be down the hudson. i also brought the boat home, in june, over 300 miles. the first leg will only be about 3 days, down to the cape.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 15:19   #83

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
And when the temp changes every day ... ;-)

Agreed 32 is damn old. I'd replace every thing.

One place where I see plenty of damage is when a "rigger" runs a roll swage twice. This gives neat smooth finish BUT the terminals are designed for a single roll. The second one always introduces stress. The result is they crack (a fine longitudinal crack that widens with time). I have seen terminals like this that developed catastrophic cracks in as little as 2 years.

You want 2 nice ribs there, if the machine is of the most common type (roll).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:11   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When my standing rigging was replaced we used a rotary hammer swaging process. This gives a smooth round swage with no ribs. Scoobert, you probably want to ask about the swaging method used when any of your rig is replaced. I believe that either method can produce excellent results.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:20   #85
cruiser

no idea what type i have now, but when i redo, i am doing amsteel. i will never question my rigging again.
Old 02-11-2013, 18:02   #86

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im no rigger! but that semi-out of focas picture you just posted sure looks bad to me !! theres certainly something showing there for sure ! Scoobert I hate to say it but from the pics you put up of your boat show many areas that are sure not ready for any off shore work !! Your rigging is probley the least of your worrys! And if this thing is a staysail scooner theres no mizzen theres a main mast and a fore mast ! Im all for ya learning how to sail your boat ! But please get a GOOD surveyer to at least look your boat over ! cus just from the pis we have all seen theres a bunch of bad wood in areas that will have a big effect on keeping your masts up where they belong !! Im not trying to bash you, but you and your boat scare the heck out of me !! Don't put you and your wife in a very bad way because you have made some mistakes !!! Ive been around boats for over 60 yrs, and I would be wary of sailin your boat anywhere except for inland sailing, in calm weather !! Just my concerned 2 cents
Old 02-11-2013, 18:18   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Scoobert,

In your picture of the swage and wire, there is a small rust stain about 1 o'clock. That has likely come from oxygen-deprivation corrosion in the wire or swage. If all or most of the wire is like that, it's extremely problematical, and no one responsible would suggest you set to sea with it. I know that its lack of safety may be hard to believe in, given your successful 300 mi. trip earlier this year, but given where you want to go and when, I think you're risking your life and that of your wife unnecessarily. That's pretty harsh, and I'm sorry for sounding so negative when you clearly want to go in two weeks, but mate, the boat just isn't ready!

Ann
Old 02-11-2013, 20:04   #88

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Scoob - the Hudson is sheltered water and doesn't qualify as a shakedown cruise. It will let you know your engine works, but sailing in sheltered waters is no test of the rig (even if you get some wind like tomorrow's forecast).

I think you were unwise to do your own rigging inspection.... no doubt it's better than nothing and you're capable of spotting the obvious stuff, but what you don't know can hurt you.

I've been reading your threads and think you are diving into the deep end unprepared -- and even if you survive it's going to be a test of your marriage relationship, at the very least. Your wife needs to know how to sail the boat, and what to do. Sign her up for a Power Squadron basic navigation and safety course, and take it with her so you can discuss each lesson afterwards.

A SCHEDULE IS THE MOST DANGEROUS THING ON A BOAT! By all means make your trip but NOT ON YOUR CURRENT SCHEDULE. Leave yourself 30 days (or more) to make it to FL and take the ICW except jump outside only when you know conditions will be benign.

Get your offshore experience by crewing with others who are more experienced (not buddy-boating).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43   #89
cruiser

i mentioned that discoloration to the rigger, he didnt seem concerned.
if he was a sta-lok would be on order right now.

that photo shows the worst one, out of only two with any color.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
... last night i did the inspection, as instructed.
my report is this:
out of 9 stays, 0 had cracks. 0 had signs of corrosion...
Was that a visual inspection*, revealing no visible signs of corrosion?

* Not Dye Penetrant, Ultrasonic, nor Magnetic Particle Inspections

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging