Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2020, 00:10   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
Angry Heeling!

Half way into our second ever family sailing vacation, I'm getting more and more upset with one of the absolute basic attributes of monohull sailing: being constantly more or less tilted over.

We've had some issues with seasickness (that we're actively trying to resolve), and heeling is one of the surest trigger to cause that. "Will we raise the sails?" one of our kids frequently asks, with slight fear in her eyes. "Can we turn on the engine?" the other pleads, wanting our home to get "normal" again.

Solutions:

1) Some people suggest some bigger monohulls heel less, but I don't really get that since the basical sailing physics remain the same. We just watched the first episode of Below Deck: Sailing Yachts, and their 177ft yacht seems to the same heeling induced discomfort that we have

2) Switch to a catamaran. I'm unsure whether this would fix anything, but I suppose it might. At least the kids are believers and think we should do that. It's something I'd really want to test (maybe by chartering) before committing to it. Anyone here had their seasickness cured by going mono -> multi?

3) Go everywhere by motor. I don't like this option. It would be cool with a solar power thing made by Silent Yachts, but with our sailboat -- a bit depressing.

4) Find out of way to cure seasickness. This would help a lot. We've tried a few different things and so far a brand of antihistamines (dramamine-like, I guess) have helped for all but one of the kids.

5) Stop sailing altogether. If we can't solve the seasickness thing, this is probably the easiest and least expensive solution. No sense in for too long a time.

Cheers to all and thank you in advance for any advice you might have.